All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

I just came across this (new to me) image of a MkIIBB. Based on other images, this is likely March 1942 at AA&E (Imperial War Museum IWM CH 3899)
(Of course I'm assuming it was a MkIIBB, it could have just as easily been a MkIIB modified in the field to carry bombs)
spacer.png

Edited by StevSmar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, StevSmar said:

I just came across this (new to me) image of a MkIIBB. Based on other images, this is likely March 1942 at AA&E (Imperial War Museum IWM CH 3899)
(Of course I'm assuming it was a MkIIBB, it could have just as easily been a MkIIB modified in the field to carry bombs)
spacer.png

It would appear to be AE-S of 402 Squadron as seem in IWM CH 3903

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wmcgill said:

It would appear to be AE-S of 402 Squadron as seem in IWM CH 3903

I think it’s this one:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126643

Which has the interesting description:
Hurricane Mark IIE, BN114, fitted with 500lb GP bombs while undergoing clearance tests at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, Boscombe Down, Wiltshire. BN114 subsequently served with Nos. 87 and 174 Squadrons RAF, with No. 1472 (Anti-Aircraft Co-operation) Flight and finally with No. 1449 (Fighter) Flight in defence of the Scilly Isles.

Edited by StevSmar

1 hour ago, StevSmar said:

I think it’s this one:
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205126643

Which has the interesting description:
Hurricane Mark IIE, BN114, fitted with 500lb GP bombs while undergoing clearance tests at the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment, Boscombe Down, Wiltshire. BN114 subsequently served with Nos. 87 and 174 Squadrons RAF, with No. 1472 (Anti-Aircraft Co-operation) Flight and finally with No. 1449 (Fighter) Flight in defence of the Scilly Isles.

I don't think there is any chance it's BN114. These 2 images show the same aircraft.

spacer.png

On 2/12/2023 at 10:26 PM, wmcgill said:

I don't think there is any chance it's BN114. These 2 images show the same aircraft

You’re right!!! It definitely looks like the same aircraft. Good catch!

The image I posted to me, really looks like an AA&E image, though if it was it should have a testing date on it.

Edited by StevSmar

Nice picture of a IIC Hurricane with fittings for long range fuel tanks (or bomb racks?):
spacer.png

IDKU, EGYPT, 1943. CLOSE VIEW OF TWO OF THE 20MM CANNONS IN THE WING OF A HAWKER HURRICANE IIC AIRCRAFT, "MARGIE". (DONOR J.S. ARCHBOLD)

Edited by StevSmar
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Yes, there was primer.  The primer for the fabric was red lead (basically) and a grey primer was used for the metal.  It is possible (I can't be sure either way) that an Aluminium coat was applied to the fabric between the primer and the camouflage to reduce the effect of sunlight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, there was primer.  The primer for the fabric was red lead (basically) and a grey primer was used for the metal.  It is possible (I can't be sure either way) that an Aluminium coat was applied to the fabric between the primer and the camouflage to reduce the effect of sunlight.

I did wonder why there was sometimes an aluminium coat(s) - thx Graham!

Edited by Peter Roberts

On 27/03/2023 at 18:48, DominikS said:

Hi

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but was any kind of primer used while painting Hurricanes? Or was the paint applied straight on metal and fabric?

According to the text of Air Diagram 2390 'Aircraft Dopes and Finishes Instructions for Use' circa September 1942, the following procedure was to be employed in finishing new fabric.

"Application of Red Dope to Spec D.T.D. 83A.

Brush first coat of dope; red (33B/124, 125, 126, 416). Brush or spray second and third coats.

Allow 30 minutes between coats.

A fourth coat must be applied only if tautness appears insufficient.

Application of Camouflage colours to Spec D.T.D. 83A.

Six hours after application of the last coat of Red Dope or when thoroughly taut spray or brush (preferably spray) one coat the required colour (one coat of the dark colours will be sufficient but Yellow, White and other light colours require at least two coats).

Metal. External. New work.

Metal degreasing liquid. 

Clean the surface thoroughly by by brushing it with Metal Degreasing Liquid (33B/510, 511, 512) applied with a stiff brush, followed at once by rubbing it with a clean absorbent rag.

Application of Primer.

Brush or spray one thin coat of Primer (33B/207, 208, 209, 447 or 260, 261, 262, 448).

Leave 2 - 4 hours for drying.

(a) Using Cellulose - "C".

Application of camouflage colours to Specn. D.T.D. 83A.

Spray one coat of the required colour (one coat of the dark colours will be sufficient, but Yellow, White and other light colours require at least two coats).

(b) Using Synthetic "S".

Clean and Prime as for D.T.D.83A Scheme (see above).

Dry 4 hours.

Application of colours to Specn. D.T.D.314

Spray or brush one coat of the required colour (only very light colours more than one coat)".

Primer 33B/207, 208, 209 and 447 was a dark grey that appears to be virtually identical to Dark Sea Grey.

Primer 33B/260, 261, 262 and 448 was a light grey but never having knowingly seen a sample of it, I don't know for certain what colour it was. Perhaps something like the modern colour BS 381C No. 627 Light Aircraft Grey.

This would have applied to all RAF aircraft at this time, not just Hurricanes.

Edited by Paul Lucas
Correcting punctuation.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 2/26/2023 at 4:28 PM, StevSmar said:

An interesting picture which is the only time I've seen the meteorological psychrometer installed on a wing:
52712938773_54f21968c3_h.jpg

Was this device on both wings or only on the starboard one?

On 3/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, Paul Lucas said:

According to the text of Air Diagram 2390 'Aircraft Dopes and Finishes Instructions for Use' circa September 1942, the following procedure was to be employed in finishing new fabric.

"Application of Red Dope to Spec D.T.D. 83A.

Brush first coat of dope; red (33B/124, 125, 126, 416). Brush or spray second and third coats.

Allow 30 minutes between coats.

A fourth coat must be applied only if tautness appears insufficient.

Application of Camouflage colours to Spec D.T.D. 83A.

Six hours after application of the last coat of Red Dope or when thoroughly taut spray or brush (preferably spray) one coat the required colour (one coat of the dark colours will be sufficient but Yellow, White and other light colours require at least two coats).

Metal. External. New work.

Metal degreasing liquid. 

Clean the surface thoroughly by by brushing it with Metal Degreasing Liquid (33B/510, 511, 512) applied with a stiff brush, followed at once by rubbing it with a clean absorbent rag.

Application of Primer.

Brush or spray one thin coat of Primer (33B/207, 208, 209, 447 or 260, 261, 262, 448).

Leave 2 - 4 hours for drying.

(a) Using Cellulose - "C".

Application of camouflage colours to Specn. D.T.D. 83A.

Spray one coat of the required colour (one coat of the dark colours will be sufficient, but Yellow, White and other light colours require at least two coats).

(b) Using Synthetic "S".

Clean and Prime as for D.T.D.83A Scheme (see above).

Dry 4 hours.

Application of colours to Specn. D.T.D.314

Spray or brush one coat of the required colour (only very light colours more than one coat)".

Primer 33B/207, 208, 209 and 447 was a dark grey that appears to be virtually identical to Dark Sea Grey.

Primer 33B/260, 261, 262 and 448 was a light grey but never having knowingly seen a sample of it, I don't know for certain what colour it was. Perhaps something like the modern colour BS 381C No. 627 Light Aircraft Grey.

This would have applied to all RAF aircraft at this time, not just Hurricanes.

Paul, thank you for your reply, 

I have one more question. This time about Hurricane Mk.IIb. Is it true that Hurricanes sent to India and Burma had their outer machine guns removed? I think I read such an information in Frank Carey's biography. Can anyone confirm this info?

Thank you.

I've seen this anecdotally, and as it makes very good sense I've no doubt it is true.  It is also said to have happened in the Middle East.  I read your comment initially as meaning removed before sending, which I'm sure is not the case, and it probably wasn't done in all cases.  It is obviously difficult to find photos showing this, either way.

The outer guns added significant weight outboard which would increase the inertia in roll and make the Hurricane generally less agile.  Against highly agile Oscars, clearly a bad idea.

Hurricane underwing auxilliary tank was often decorated with a table or sticker with some text. What was written there?

We'd like to provide proper decal for the incoming 1/48 Arma Hobby Hurricane IIc - could you help?

spacer.png

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Nobody knows? Why this question is so difficult?

We were looking everywhere and found nothing...

According to some of the artwork that illustrates Francis K. Mason's book 'The Hawker Hurricane' it says 

FUEL 

100 OCTANE 

ONLY 

I have tried to get the spacing of the characters as close as I can to the artwork.

The 'F' in Fuel and the 'O' in Only are aligned with the gap between '100' and 'Octane'.

It should be marked on both sides of each tank.

Edited by Paul Lucas
Correcting spelling.
  • Like 1

It's the same 44-gallon tank as a Typhoon tank and I've never seen one in real life, nor in any kind of post-war setting - perhaps not surprisingly given the combination of the Hurricane II and IV late-war service being mainly outside the UK, all the Typhoons being scrapped ASAP as the war ended and the Tempest using something altogether superior.  So for all I know there aren't any left. It's been done twice in 1/48 aftermarket, once by Ultracast who (as far as I know) didn't provide a decal, and as an Eduard Brassin set and  they DID provide a decal. So someone at Eduard either knows what it says, or thinks they know.  spacer.png

Edited by Work In Progress

35 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Did it really say "Octaine" not "Octane"?

No, 'Octane' is correct. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

It's the same 44-gallon tank as a Typhoon tank and I've never seen one in real life, nor in any kind of post-war setting - perhaps not surprisingly given the combination of the Hurricane II and IV late-war service being mainly outside the UK, all the Typhoons being scrapped ASAP as the war ended and the Tempest using something altogether superior.  So for all I know there aren't any left. It's been done twice in 1/48 aftermarket, once by Ultracast who (as far as I know) didn't provide a decal, and as an Eduard Brassin set and  they DID provide a decal. So someone at Eduard either knows what it says, or thinks they know.  spacer.png

So what does it say?

to be perfectly frank, in 1/48 scale I think the caps height of the stencil is likely too small to be read at all, so I reckon it doesn't really matter . That's not my Eduard set in the pic above, it's just one off the internet, probably an Eduard marketing pic. And on my monitor it's showing at about 2.5x actual size. It may just as well be slightly squiggly black lines

• Thanks 1