Jump to content

All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here


Sean_M

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

An observation rather than a question - looking at the periphery of the well known picture of Clowes' P3395, I noticed that the fin flash of the aircraft om the next revetment had a reversed fin flash. A browse through other photos suggests this wasn't unique.

A question to go with the observation - which way round were the stripes on the other side of the fin?

Were both sides reversed, ie blue leading, or did the painter paint the stripes in the same order, ie in this case blue on the left, white in the middle and red on the right?

I guess unless we have photo's of both sides we'll never know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

An observation rather than a question - looking at the periphery of the well known picture of Clowes' P3395, I noticed that the fin flash of the aircraft om the next revetment had a reversed fin flash. A browse through other photos suggests this wasn't unique.

A question to go with the observation - which way round were the stripes on the other side of the fin?

Were both sides reversed, ie blue leading, or did the painter paint the stripes in the same order, ie in this case blue on the left, white in the middle and red on the right?

I guess unless we have photo's of both sides we'll never know for sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok Please help, I know Im not silly or stupid. Ive been looking for over an hour for blueprints/line drawing's. However no matter which combination I use of words, I just cannot find a set of line drawings for a Hurricane IIb. I either get drawings for IIa’s with 8 guns, IIc’s with four cannons, or IId’s with two cannons slung underwing. I just cannot seem to find any with the twelve gun set-up. Photo’s I can find all day but no drawings that are showing the panel lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Photo’s I can find all day but no drawings that are showing the panel lines. 

if you have any that show structure/rivet lines, u you can work it out,  as the gun bays were fitted round the existing structure, basically you can eyeball them. 

as seen here 

hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

 

Not ideal I know.    Also, be wary of Hurricane plans.  A lot are often a bit off, and I don't that Bentley ever did the IIB in detail, he did do roughs of the MkII/IV, but can't recall if he drew the wing panelling

 

I think the very old PSL History and and how to model them book had the IIB wing, but mine is buried 'somewhere' at the mo....

 

HTH

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok Please help, I know Im not silly or stupid. Ive been looking for over an hour for blueprints/line drawing's. However no matter which combination I use of words, I just cannot find a set of line drawings for a Hurricane IIb. I either get drawings for IIa’s with 8 guns, IIc’s with four cannons, or IId’s with two cannons slung underwing. I just cannot seem to find any with the twelve gun set-up. Photo’s I can find all day but no drawings that are showing the panel lines. 

Dennis,

 

See if this photo of the Arma Hurricane IIb wing sprue gives you what you need- I would imagine they are accurate, seeing as how they seem to be pretty meticulous in their research! If you're doing a 1/72 model, maybe getting the basic sprues for the IIb kit, if they are available, might be your best bet. If I can find any scale drawings, I'll pm you.

Mike

 

https://www.armahobby.com/70043-hurricane-mk-ii-b-model-kit.html

 

P.S. I have that kit, and if you want, I can take closeup photos of the wings with a scale rule next to them, and send them to you- that should get you in the ballpark...just don't let @Troy Smith know- I would hate to fall out of favor with the Hurricane fan club! :giggle:

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, Troy Smith said:

Yes, it's slightly too short for a MK.I as well.   0.5mm,  hence the 2mm splice.  

that tank cowl panel is 41 inch on a Mk.I, 41x25.4=1041.4 /72 = 14.46 mm,  14.5 basically.  IIRC it measures 14mm.

If I’ve got this right I’ve got to length the tank panel 2mm with a plasticard wedge?  Merry Christmas resized_dfc02d4a-38b5-4a7c-a000-e9e971bf 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...