All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

Thanks bob

couldn't find that in the manual. Good diorama project for someone maybe?

couple more gunbay pics, from Etienne du Plessis flickr

this is particularly clear, note aluminium paint in bays.

6970130755_dc680d2b8d_z.jpg

2526720177_1281eaa0ab_z.jpg?zz=1

• Like 1

Further to Hurricane weapons, and access, found this shot, which thought might be of interest

if you click this link

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205196931 it zooms.

Note the cover over the cannon barrel tip. Also, this looks to have a Mk I style radiator bath?

large.jpg

this is a Mk II for comparison.

nasm_hurricane_25.jpg

Any ideas about this?

and, posted this before, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234954156-youtube-film-of-hurricane-iid-6-sq-loading-guns-and-firing/ but while were at it...

WW2 RAF hawker Hurricane 2D desert tank busters
2x 40mm cannon mounted under wing. firing 6lb shells
armourers loading ammo +pilots flying low level.
footage of tanks being destroyed during range live firing

I've not seen if before, interestingly shows 6 Sq 'flying tin opener' badge on nose and the loading of the guns is fascinating, shells loaded individually into the drum, I'd always presumed it was a drum that got changed.

Not clear enough to make out serials or codes, though it's late and I didn't look to closely. Presume better quality exists somewhere.

• Like 3

Fantastic resource on the Mk IID! Great for the overall sense of how they looked, especially the exhaust stains etc. Inspiration for another build!

Note, too, the rubber-soled shoes, which was normal for groundcrew, to cut down on wear and tear.

Interestingly, in the photo in post #172, the Corporal wearing the tunic appears to be using cloths/rags/cotton waste on his shoes soles, presumably for the same reason.

Hopefully this will be a quick question - I've noticed you can't get any canopy masks for Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricanes (I've got a Sea Hurricane Ib and Sea Hurricane IIc to do). Has anyone tried masks for other Hurricane kits on Hasegawa kits? Did they work properly or not?

thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

more IID information.

in this topic on Soviet warplanes the VVS use of the IID is discussed, I recently ran across another image, and posted it. member KL the posted some more shots and a link

http://alternathistory.org.ua/ispytano-v-sssr-istrebitel-shturmovik-hawker-hurricane-iid

while in Russian [or Ukrainian? note web site is 'ua' which I think is Ukraine] the photos have details of the IID I've not seen before. You can always run the page through translate.

a few interesting shots of the IID at NII VVS [soviet test centre]

note landing light in port wing only, and the fitting of the Armoured Radiator, so possibly a Mk IV [need to check serials later]

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-01-680x3

Comparison shot, the first looks to be captioned 'IIC' as says II S , and 'C' is 'S' in cyrillic alphabet, and 20mm [on stick] firing buttons, while IID was on throttle, 2nd pic, note red numbers.

Cockpit looks to be grey green by this point in production KX*** series

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-10-680x5

40 mm cannon drum

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-05-420x8

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-07-680x5

winding mecahnism for shell loading [see youtube link on page 9 for this is use]

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-08-420x3

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-04-680x3

only known shot of IID in a VVS unit, 246 IAP, discussion on markings in the Soviet warplanes link.

beolvass0002_zps8e76c598.jpg

• Like 2

Are those the gun pods planted in the ground? One way to win the short-landing contest!

About those cockpit shots, it may not alter your conclusion, but didn't the IID have a gun button on the stick still for the .303s?

Nifty, as usual!

bob

Hopefully this will be a quick question - I've noticed you can't get any canopy masks for Hasegawa 1/72 Hurricanes (I've got a Sea Hurricane Ib and Sea Hurricane IIc to do). Has anyone tried masks for other Hurricane kits on Hasegawa kits? Did they work properly or not?

thanks

Mike

I'm guessing no one knows the answer to this?

thanks

Mike

Are those the gun pods planted in the ground? One way to win the short-landing contest!

About those cockpit shots, it may not alter your conclusion, but didn't the IID have a gun button on the stick still for the .303s?

Nifty, as usual!

bob

Yes, gun pods in the ground. I think tht'as part of the belly panel between them.

and yes, still button for the 0.303 on the control column.

I have to say that it is a testament to Sidney Camm and Team that Hurricanes were still a force to be feared in 1944 with the Jet Age beginning. I just had to say it!!!!!

Only without modern fighter opposition!

Still performing sterling service on in the Balkans in 1945 though. There are some great pics of this

Neat thread on this and assymetric load outs

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956860-hurricane-mk-iv-asymmetrical-loadouts/

Mike, can't help on the canopy masks, compare canopies is all I can suggest.

picked up the revell sea hurricane iic, is there any differences between a normal hurri iic and a sea hurri iic which cannot be fixed by simply ommiting pieces in the build?

if the kit has the normal rear fuselage underside, then you can build as a IIC.

If it only has the hooked recess part, then no.

thanks, checked it over and the oonly difference is as said not attack the arrestor hook and fill the gap where it goes

If the sprue shots here are correct

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1485

the normal rear fuselage belly piece is the on the sprue with the drop tanks. No filling required ;)

5-gussast2.jpg

The kit has some accuracy issues as well, but ignorance maybe bliss in this case.

FWIW Jean-Louis Roba just published part II of his monograph on the Hurricane in France (A-4 softback, approx 100 pages, 200 photos, 20 artworks, French text, 12 euros).

Part II covers the period May 15- June 20

perhaps best not read this (Belgian) author's conclusions - he is scathing on the lack of effectiveness of the type in France - pointing out the high losses and the 'usefulness' of sending (in some instances) unqualified pilots out to fly them. He also takes the view that earlier and more extensive deployment of Spitfires could indeed have had an impact on the campaign....(never one to regurgitate the received view, our Jean-Louis...)

orders & pdf extract here

http://www.avions-bateaux.com/produit/batailles-aeriennes/2266

Edited by FalkeEins

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question, I hope, regarding the classic red-painted gun muzzle area that is seen on some Hurricanes. Is there any evidence to document that this was ordered onto all aircraft, or was this something that was adopted by some units and not by others?

Specifically I'm trying to figure out if a 303 Sqn machine in September 1940 was more or less likely to have this feature on it.

Quick question, I hope, regarding the classic red-painted gun muzzle area that is seen on some Hurricanes. Is there any evidence to document that this was ordered onto all aircraft, or was this something that was adopted by some units and not by others?

Specifically I'm trying to figure out if a 303 Sqn machine in September 1940 was more or less likely to have this feature on it.

From what I have seen Steve, by this stage in the Battle it was pretty standard.

Edgar has posted that there were self adhesive patches made and issued, like large red band-aids. if it looks like a regular 2 inch square, it's probably one of those. Undoubtedly very useful for a fast turn around, which was needed at this stage, as opposed to doping on bits of fabric.

He many have even posted a photo of an unused one. If I can find the thread I'll edit in a link.

The variations seem to occur before the fighting get regular, from what I have observed touching up the fabric covers with the appropriate camouflage paint was peacetime practice, it looks neat and can be done if you don't actually fire your guns very often....one noted RAF failing was lack of gunnery practice....

As an aside, in colour pictures from North Africa/Med others colours are seen to be used.

An area that is not well covered in general.

HTH

T

the classic red-painted gun muzzle area that is seen on some Hurricanes.

This was not a red paint, but a patch of red fabric glued onto the leading edge to protect the guns.

The patches (or traces of patches removed for guns maintenance) are visible on every photo of 303 Sqn Hurricane (if guns area is shown) in "Polish Wings #4".

HI Troy, thanks for the input, but I perhaps should have been more clear. I'm not so much concerned with the red patches over the muzzles (I presume they would have been used as they were on the Spitfire); I am wondering about that whole area being painted red, as we see on some models. No idea if this was a safety/warning measure for people on the ground, or if it was perhaps a way to make the red-patches look a bit tidier on the aircraft?

Only the fabric was coloured, not the area of the leading edge underneath, though it's possible that, if the patches were clear-doped after application (as it appears in some early photos) some of the red dye might have leached through onto the paint underneath.

The belief is that the patches fulfilled a double role, both as a barrier against cold air getting into the (open) breeches during flight, and the contrasting colour was also a warning to personnel that the guns behind the patches were cocked, and walking in front might not be a good idea.

We know that, before the patches, the Spitfire used covers which exactly filled the muzzle holes, and appear to have been painted red, but finding a photo of a Hurricane so equipped is proving elusive.

Edited by Edgar

Hi Steve

Been pondering, my supposition is this, the front of the gun bays are metal, a removable panel.

This 501 Sq plane in France, shows evidence of some colour applied around the panel, if you look at the starboard wing.

501-rotolhurri-france.jpg

the Mk I at Hendon, note the red painted rear of panel, with fabric patches. I don't know if this is a case of museum example being used as a pattern, or if it's accurately recreates standard service practice.

Hurricane-P2617.jpg

But to confuse matters, the few shots I can find of 303 Sq Hurricane DO NOT show this, but what looks like being touch up with the respective camo colours

eg

F6.jpg

Jan Zumbach in front of a Hurricane

same plane?

img0001xg.jpg

Judging by the shirt sleeves, summer?

urbano6.jpg

Witold Urbanowicz

HighFlight-Frantisek3.jpg

Josef Frantisek

a clear shot on page 51 of Hurricane At War shows a 303 Sq plane with very neat gun ports.

Perhaps it varied between squadrons?

It's late, I'll have a look for some other pics later.

one more from - http://www.polishsquadronsremembered.com/303/303_pics2.html

E%20erks%20bowser.jpg

"after combat sortie (notice missing doped canvas coverings of machine guns openings). Climbing the cockpit is Sgt Karubin."

Note bare metal?