All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,going back to my question on MKII hurricanes if (and I am) were stupid enough to have a go at representing one using the Airfix MKI can anyone

post a pic of the revised tailwheel,Troys excellent link gives an good view of the gun access panel that would need to be scribed and I may have got

around the revised prop hub and extra 2mm.Are there any line drawings of the upper wings around I have all the SAM and SAMI mags going back over 20

years if any were published.thanks again.

Found a great set of plans online with wing diagrams so problem solved as far as panel lines go

hi Steve

sorry for not replying earlier. The early MkII's has the same tailwheel as the Mk I, and exhausts, so depends which plane you want to do. The Ark kit has a the bullet rotol and jointed tailwheel as alternate parts btw.

Plan online? can you post the link, as there are a lot of dodgy Hurricane plans, and I'll have a look.

Thanks Troy,here,s the link http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/images5/hurricane_hh2b.jpg It at least gives me a line drawing of where to scribe the

lines for the extra guns including their covers and position.I think I have got a half decent attempt at the bullet rotol using putty(looks better than it sounds)

I tried to add the extra 2mm which did,nt work so what I will end up with is a MKI with a decent enough prop hub and extra panels scribed and guns. the

aircraft is coded BM959 so which tail wheel would you suggest and which prop blades from the Airfix kit? cheers Steve.

Thanks Troy,here,s the link http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/images5/hurricane_hh2b.jpg It at least gives me a line drawing of where to scribe the

lines for the extra guns including their covers and position.I think I have got a half decent attempt at the bullet rotol using putty(looks better than it sounds)

I tried to add the extra 2mm which did,nt work so what I will end up with is a MKI with a decent enough prop hub and extra panels scribed and guns. the

aircraft is coded BM959 so which tail wheel would you suggest and which prop blades from the Airfix kit? cheers Steve.

If was going to modify one of the Airfix kit spinners I'd use the De havilland one, and the rotol blades. The rotol hub is too big. Don't affix it too well and I might be able to send you one.

Oh, this one BM959, 'Za Satlina/Za Rodinu'

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=80.0

MkIIbBM959nr60609IAPZ2585nr42760IAP.jpg

Top of the wing is OK, but it's missing the underwing cartridge ejection slots

No, it's not. Panel lines are wrong.

HurricaneMkIIB12gunbeingreloaded.jpg

hurricane_12.jpg

best I can find drawing

mk2b-wing.jpg

this shows the underwing slots. I try to find a better pic

151-4.jpg

more pics here http://www.lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/sheppard/hurricane_Z5252/index.htm

Thanks once again Troy,That,s the one! I used the DH spinner as the base for the mod and now it,s primed looks ok so with this extra info

I can crack on cheers.

No, it's not. Panel lines are wrong.

HurricaneMkIIB12gunbeingreloaded.jpg

Hi Troy

The point I was trying to make was that the underside lacked the cartridge ejection slots. The above photo is interesting as the panel over the outboard guns doesn't look big enough to extract the guns from the wing. Does the panel with the two slots immediately aft of the open gun cover come off as well?

That is an excellent observation Dave, and a very good question, certainly one I'd not asked.

But AFAIK, the panel behind is part of the skinning, with a couple of vents? .

as can be seen in this photo from here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/

While the plane shown is marked and serialed as a very early IIA [111 Sq, September 1940 in fact], it is a IIB.

hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

A look in the manual says nothing about it.

I suspect that the guns were removed by taking off the front panel and taking the guns out like that.

as can be seen here,

hurricane_10.jpg

Anyone know for sure?

That is an excellent observation Dave, and a very good question, certainly one I'd not asked.

But AFAIK, the panel behind is part of the skinning, with a couple of vents? .

as can be seen in this photo from here http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/

While the plane shown is marked and serialed as a very early IIA [111 Sq, September 1940 in fact], it is a IIB

A look in the manual says nothing about it.

I suspect that the guns were removed by taking off the front panel and taking the guns out like that.

as can be seen here,

Anyone know for sure?

Yes, that panel does look like skinning with a couple of vents.

I've been wondering myself about removing the guns forwards, but was discounting this due to the size of the holes required to get the breeches through the front spar.

However, this photo on the Primeportal site linked above appears to show that the leading edge panels over the outboard guns was rivetted in place, precluding easy removal. The photo also shows that the front spar construction is an open girder construction (visible behind the landing light) which would give a fair bit of wiggle room to manouevre the guns inside the wing to line them up for removal once disconnected. The photo doesn't eliminate the possibility of an access panel below the wing.

This is Hawker's solution, and I can find no indication that it was changed, in fact a Polish Squadron, in a report, complained that the only way to clean the guns was to remove them through the front, which took an hour and a quarter per wing, which they deemed unacceptable (didn't cut any ice with the authorities, though.)
PICT0172_zpsa4f9e14b.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, that panel does look like skinning with a couple of vents.

I've been wondering myself about removing the guns forwards, but was discounting this due to the size of the holes required to get the breeches through the front spar.

However, this photo on the Primeportal site linked above appears to show that the leading edge panels over the outboard guns was rivetted in place, precluding easy removal. The photo also shows that the front spar construction is an open girder construction (visible behind the landing light) which would give a fair bit of wiggle room to manouevre the guns inside the wing to line them up for removal once disconnected. The photo doesn't eliminate the possibility of an access panel below the wing.

Hi Dave

the 'blast tube door' which is the shaped front panel, according to the manual is held on with 3 long screws. It's not riveted on.

the central screw is visible here, between the gun ports, I presume the other two are hidden behind the fabric patches.

hurricane_iia_13_of_31.jpg

Thanks for posting the drawing Edgar, that's pretty conclusive that Hawker's intention was to withdraw the guns through the L/E. From the photo's Hawker have obviously revised the position of the inboard gun to bring it level with the outboard (in plan) and revised the shape of the access hatches.

Troy, I'd spotted that central screw but as no others were visible I'd discarded the thought that it was attaching the panel. 3 screws is not a lot to hold a L/e panel and 2 blast tubes in place, but then again the whole outer wing is only secured by 4 (slightly bigger!) bolts! You learn something new every day.

Each door is held in place by three long screws which screw into anchor nuts secured inside the channel members which span the nose ribs behind the door. The heads of the screws are flush with the outer surface and a pair of locknuts are fitted to each screw on the inside to provide an adjutable stop: the stops prevent the screws being over tightened and thereby distorting the door

from the manual.

for reference, IIB wing with blast doors removed, note lips the doors sit in

hurricane_10.jpg

JackG,

Thanks for that great maintenance pic. Any ideas on the name on the fuselage? Looks like Something Something Malaya? Also appears to have some faint leading-edge mottling to the wing and on the Vokes filter.

Again, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 1

From Gifts of War: V7780 Alma Baker, Malaya. Alma Baker CBE was a wealthy New Zealander with estates in Malaya and Australia, died 4.4.41. Gave £30,000 for Spitfires but got four Hurricanes.

V7780 serves with 271 and 208 Sq, DBR in air raid Bir El Regal LG 22.2.42

One of the late Mk.Is with the mottling. With an FR unit probably only the codes were carried but what's visible doesn't make any letter in the Alphabet. It could well be 274's lightning flash. I've only just finished an old Frog Hurricane using the Almark 274 Sq transfers.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I think Graham has got the info spot on.

The photo was found by googling images for Hurricane maintenance. It's the best one I was able too uncover, it being linked to Wiki with the caption "Maintenance work being carried out on a Hurricane of 274 Sqdn during the siege of Tobruk."

A couple other decent photos:

Armourers_replenish_the_ammunition_in_a_

Sea-hurricane-on-HMS-Indomitable.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

From Gifts of War: V7780 Alma Baker, Malaya. Alma Baker CBE was a wealthy New Zealander with estates in Malaya and Australia, died 4.4.41. Gave £30,000 for Spitfires but got four Hurricanes.

V7780 serves with 271 and 208 Sq, DBR in air raid Bir El Regal LG 22.2.42

One of the late Mk.Is with the mottling. With an FR unit probably only the codes were carried but what's visible doesn't make any letter in the Alphabet. It could well be 274's lightning flash. I've only just finished an old Frog Hurricane using the Almark 274 Sq transfers.

Fantastic! Thank you, Graham. You are a proverbial fount of knowledge! :-)