This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sean_M

All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

I wonder if anybody can help me with a nostalgia question.

Thirty odd years ago I built the then relatively new Airfix Hurricane 1. Somewhere along the way, I messed up the propeller. So, new plan, I got an Aeroclub Watts two-blader and built from a photo in a book (unaware in those innocent pre-internet days of things like fabric wings and unarmoured canopies). The result was an 85sqn Hurricane in France. No serial number, coded VY-H. No fin/rudder stripes (but hexagon on fin), no yellow outline to the fuselage roundel and, as I say, Watts. The model, slightly battered sits before me now and for nostalgia, I am thinking of building the new Airfix Hurricane in the same markings (on the assumption it had a fabric wing.)

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline. So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

many thanks

Paul 

54 minutes ago, vildebeest said:

Thirty odd years ago I built the then relatively new Airfix Hurricane 1. Somewhere along the way, I messed up the propeller. So, new plan, I got an Aeroclub Watts two-blader and built from a photo in a book (unaware in those innocent pre-internet days of things like fabric wings and unarmoured canopies). The result was an 85sqn Hurricane in France. No serial number, coded VY-H. No fin/rudder stripes (but hexagon on fin), no yellow outline to the fuselage roundel and, as I say, Watts. The model, slightly battered sits before me now and for nostalgia, I am thinking of building the new Airfix Hurricane in the same markings (on the assumption it had a fabric wing.)

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline.

this one?

84a329b082bd7c0cb8d5f46bb8835493.jpg

3 blade prop, but no yellow outline.  Part of a series of photos of 85 Sq taken in winter 39./40.   From what I can see the of the gun bays this is metal winged. I'd not swear either way.

Only shot of VY-H I know of.

54 minutes ago, vildebeest said:

So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

Given there are not that many photos, and if it was in a book back then there is a good chance it's online now,  I suspect  you might be thinking of this 

https://live.staticflickr.com/4105/5083923523_6f301d1338_o.png

or this, as with careless cropping this could be taken for H

613px-Hawker_Hurricanes_at_Lille-Seclin_

Bear in mind that the two blade props were replaced during service,  as the De Havilland unit made big difference to performance.  

Where did you get the the VY-H codes?  the old tool Airfix 1/48th came with VY-G codes, I have no memory of  any VY-H codes being in a kit.

Thanks. Troy.

VY-H and the hexagon were cut out of solid decal sheet. This is where I am beginning to have doubts.  Did I actually see a photo of VY-H as I described, or did I see a photo of another Hurricane which was not H. but then decided that there must have been an H (with serials painted out) on the entirely reasonable grounds that H is a lot easier to cut out of solid decal sheet than, say, B is?

Paul

I'm like Troy and wondering if you are thinking of Airfix's old mould 1/48 kit which came with a 85 Sqn mount coded VY-G, no serial and with the hexagon, and based on the famous photo of the port side of this aircraft taken at Merville.

If it is this kit, I have it on the go at the moment and it's actually rather good for something of this age. Sure the cockpit is sparse, it has raised panel lines but the shape is very, very accurate and the fuselage fabric effect is rendered beautifully - much better than the overdone effect on the Hasegawa version I made some years back. Still very easy to get hold of, the decals in the later boxings are still fine and you can pick it up for a song.

5 hours ago, vildebeest said:

I wonder if anybody can help me with a nostalgia question.

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline. So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

many thanks

Paul 

Paul, 

thirty odd years ago I started to build the Revell 1/32 Hurricane. I wanted to build the A/C flown by "Paul", a fighter pilot in France.

At the time I had a censored copy of his book, "Fighter Pilot". 

I now know it was Paul Ritchie and have the post war, uncensored version. 

Like you I fitted a 2 blade Watts prop, not knowing that these props were rarely, if ever, fitted to metal winged A/C. 

I'm close to finishing this model, (it is a long, long story), with after market U/C, prop, canopy, etc, but I know it isn't correct. I've found photos, references and support from this place. What do I do? 

Scrap it, or finish it?

I'm finishing it, if only because I've spent since the early 1970s  working on it... 

Enjoy your journey! 

Hi All,

I know this thread is way old (though people are still posting to it), and I tried to go through as much of it as I could, but didn't find the answer I'm looking for.  I am working on the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1 Tropical, and I'm at the pint of painting.  I'm doing the Dark Earth and Middlestone scheme that was in the instructions, but I have a second one of these that I"m going to build without the Tropical additions, and will be doing a Battle of Britain Hurricane; I already have the decals for that.

What I'm unhappy about, nd need help with is details of the rivets.  I'd gotten so spoiled with the latest Tamiya and Eduard airplanes, that include EVERYTHING in their moldings, I frankly didn't even look, and I didn't notice that the rivets weren't present until painting was alreadyy in progress.  I know, i know...how stupid/ignorant can one be?  Regardless, I'm going to finish this one up, sand rivets, but does anyone know of a site, or have themselves, detailed drawings of where the rivets, particularly on the wings, belong?  I see that some folks have done archer rivets, which I WASY beyond my capabilities, and I have every imaginable ponce wheel for creating indented rivets that anyone could need.  I just need to know, in detail, where the reverts belong!!!  I've searched and found nothing that specific.

I'd be indebted to anyone who could provide the details of rivet locations so I can make my next, BoB, Hurricane, as accurate a possible,  I've really enjoyed the Airfix model, just frustrated about the lack of those important details!

There was recent posting in the RFI section where the individual riveted his Hurricane.  Maybe they could reveal their source?

regards,

Jack

2 hours ago, JackG said:

There was recent posting in the RFI section where the individual riveted his Hurricane.  Maybe they could reveal their source?

regards,

Jack

Great thought...thank you!

19 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'd be indebted to anyone who could provide the details of rivet locations so I can make my next, BoB, Hurricane, as accurate a possible,  I've really enjoyed the Airfix model, just frustrated about the lack of those important details!

read this

best accurate build of the Airfix Hurricane I have seen. Hurricane have flush rivets in the front part if the wing, the rest are mushroom headed.  

the best Hurricane plans are the Aurthur Bentley ones. 

Finnish Hurricane.

Unrestored, untouched since 1943

https://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1536/

https://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1295/

Apart from 5 spoke wheel, the prop and lack of starboard rectangular hatch,  all the rest on a standard BoB hurricane is the same

Don't know if this has been asked  in the thread (65 pages of it!!!) before but where did the Accumulator Trolley plug into the Hurricane Mk 1?

I checked my old builds of Hurricane II in Burma and I appear to have plugged it in under the starboard wing but I can't find or remember any reference to this so wanted to be sure before I made a 'schoolboy' error :)

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Don't know if this has been asked  in the thread (65 pages of it!!!) before but where did the Accumulator Trolley plug into the Hurricane Mk 1?

I checked my old builds of Hurricane II in Burma and I appear to have plugged it in under the starboard wing but I can't find or remember any reference to this so wanted to be sure before I made a 'schoolboy' error :)

Thanks

33880446618_f7ccc48958_b.jpg85 Squadron 51 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

P3166, VY-Q, 85 sq, July 1940

hurricane_mk1_l1592_14_of_26.jpg

pic enlarges