All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

Ok! Here is my stupid question, was the prop used on the mk1 the same as the prop used on the Spit Mk1a

this has been discussed here before.

HINT - use google, add 'Britmodeller' into your search term, it works better than the site search.

Graham sums it up, this might make it clearer

Hurricanespinners.jpg

more pics and discussion here, despite the thread title, scroll down a bit.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956047-romanian-hurricane-underside-colours/

what is available in what scale and what kits is also tricky, as Graham suggest, a more precise question will get better answers.

eg "I'd like to build XXXX Hurricane from XXXX kit in XX scale, what spinner do I need".

Will probably get you chapter and verse, even if links to previous threads. One caution, kits often gets the spinners wrong!

Hi folks,

I read about De Havilland, Rotol propeller, which hurricane used what ?

Anyone can help ?

I have the hurricane mk1 used in Malta in mind

Cheerio,

beppe

Edited by beppe

Hi folks,

I read about De Havilland, Rotol propeller, which hurricane used what ?

Anyone can help ?

I have the hurricane mk1 used in Malta in mind

Cheerio,

beppe

Hi Beppe

all the Mk I's I have seen on Malta had the De Havilland Hurricane propeller, like this below, [2nd spinner in drawing above]

Hawker Hurricane MkI Trop RAF 261Sqn J Sgt F N Robertson P3731 Malta 1941-01

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-Trop-RAF-261Sqn-J-S

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957764-malta-hurricanes/

The DH prop was favoured in the Middle East for the Mk I ONLY

The Mk II used the 'bullet' or Hurricane Rotol only [3rd spinner in drawing above] I don't recall ever seeing a Mk II or mk IV with any other spinner.

The 'bullet' Rotol was also fitted to late MkI's, and could be retrofitted, which is why the RAF Museum Hurricane has a bullet Rotol, from it's days in training command. Just a word of caution that a bullet Rotol does not automatically mean it's a Mk II.

shurr-2.jpg

Handy comparison photo

N - Spitfire type Rotol

U- Hurricane [bullet] Rotol

R- Hurricane De Havilland

Canadian planes are a different story...

cheers

T

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I was to build a Canadian spinner-less Mk XII, I understand that I'd need a Hamilton Standard propeller from a B-25. Would this be a straight fit or would it have to be modified (blades shortened, for instance)?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions how to get hold of a part to represent the engine front in 1/72? I guess a Revell Lancaster engine could act as a donor but that seems a waste...

Ta,

John.

Good question John

don't really know about the prop.

Somewhere I read they used cut down Battle props.

The engine front can't be that hard to scratch, and the Revell Lanc engine would be spare if built closed.

This is worth a read, has Canadian planes with Hamilton props with spinners!

http://ascalecanadian.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/rcaf-hawker-hurricanes-part-1.html

I matched the Canadian prop with one from a B17. The B17 one was supposed to be 6 inches in diameter larger than the Hurri H/S, but my kit one was under sized and and worked out the perfect size.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965903-hurricane-stgb/

Thanks Troy. It looks like the Battle prop is the correct base for those fitted to the Mk X. I wonder if the front of the Merlin III looked the same as the Merlin XX?

The merlin XX comapared to the Merlin III had a section added to the rear, which is why's it's 4 inches longer, the front AFAIK is basically the same.

Merlin III

rolls-3.jpg

Merlin XX

1024px-Rolls_Royce_Merlin_XX.jpg

HTH

T

This is basically what you are looking to replicate in 1/72 to model a spinnerless Canadian Hurricane nose. The two gizmos at an angle in the lower part of the front cowl opening are the vacuum pump & the constant speed unit ( not sure which is which) :unsure:

I've got a HS prop off an early Revell Martlet which will do me for my version of this come the time. the tricky part will be hollowing out the front of the cowl & conjuring up a smaller version of this two unit below the reduction gearbox housing. Don't expect the ring of bolts around the latter. ;) The talk of Battle props has me puzzled, did the Canadian Battles have a HS prop, 'cause the RAF's Battle prop was nothing like the Hurricane unit?

Steve.

This is basically what you are looking to replicate in 1/72 to model a spinnerless Canadian Hurricane nose. The two gizmos at an angle in the lower part of the front cowl opening are the vacuum pump & the constant speed unit ( not sure which is which) :unsure:

I've got a HS prop off an early Revell Martlet which will do me for my version of this come the time. the tricky part will be hollowing out the front of the cowl & conjuring up a smaller version of this two unit below the reduction gearbox housing. Don't expect the ring of bolts around the latter. ;) The talk of Battle props has me puzzled, did the Canadian Battles have a HS prop, 'cause the RAF's Battle prop was nothing like the Hurricane unit?

Steve.

Wow I like that, do they have a 1/72 version?

Edit:

Obviously not.

Hope QB or someone else takes up the idea

Steve.

Steve

the bit about Battle props is in the link I posted

The RCAF also received Sea Hurricanes. Yes, the RCAF got some Sea Hurricanes complete with hooks. They were built by CC&F for the FAA but were diverted to Canada. They were in the BW835 to BW884 serial range. The RCAF Sea Hurricanes were basically a Hurricane Mark I with a hook, a DH spinner with a cut down Battle prop, and an eight gun wing. Early in service they carried the Fleet Air Arm scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Grey over Sky. (A common misconception here is that they didn't have hooks. I can't confirm if they all had hooks or some did and some didn't but this one sure did.) This one is BW850 BV-T of 126 (F) Squ. RCAF.

I don't know a great deal about Canadian built planes, the above link seems too. The Battle did use the Merlin, so it would be possible to fit the prop to a Hurricane.

I have to say, it is amazing the amount of fine detail on Hurricanes that has come up since I joined here and took an active interest.

the other great find on the linked blog spot is this one [as often folks don't read links it seems :( ]

Another fun misconception is that RCAF Hurricanes didn't carry spinners. So here are a few that do:

Hurricane_XII_1_RCAF_OTU_no_69.jpg

Serial unknown, but a XII with rockets...how cool is that!

also, this has an interesting feature

This one is BW850 BV-T of 126 (F) Squ. RCAF

Hurricane_BW850_BV_T_of_126_Squ_RCAF.jpg

Apart from being a Sea Hurricane over Canada, note the lack of the 3rd access panel which would normally be under the 'T'

I had noticed this on this Sea Hurricane shot I have used before, and wondered if it was an old airframe, though now possibly this is a Canadian plane. Does anyone know the serial of this?

shurr-7.jpg

• Like 1

I'm glad I asked that question, there is some good stuff coming out.

After a bit more digging, I found a Google book, 'Canadian Warplane', by Harold A. Skaarup. This has some useful info in it about the Canadian Hurricanes and says that the Hamilton Standard was 'as used on the Dakota and Liberator'.

Steve

the bit about Battle props is in the link I posted

I don't know a great deal about Canadian built planes, the above link seems too. The Battle did use the Merlin, so it would be possible to fit the prop to a Hurricane.

Thanks for clarifying that Troy, when I first read it I confused myself into thinking it was the unspinnered props being refered to, hence my association of Battles with HS props, I think I've got it straight now. :)

Steve.

I had noticed this on this Sea Hurricane shot I have used before, and wondered if it was an old airframe, though now possibly this is a Canadian plane. Does anyone know the serial of this?

shurr-7.jpg

AE962:D (a Canadian-built Hurricane X converted into a Sea Hurricane Ib, I believe)

serial 4'' stencil, red individual letter 'D' behind the roundel.

801 Sqn. ? However, the deck might be Victorious'

Claudio

• Like 1

Hi folks,just building the "warts and all" Airfix 1/48 hurricane and due to the poor recent boxings decals ordered some after market ones.On the sheet

there are two Russian aircraft depicted for MK IIb aircraft.What were the main differences between the MKI and IIb? I know the "C" was cannon armed.

As a non rivet counter can I model a representation of a IIb from the Airfix kit?

As a non rivet counter you probably shouldn't have asked, because then you would have been happy.

The answer is no. The II has a longer nose than the I, and most examples of the IIb have 12 guns rather than 8. The II also has a different tailwheel from that of the I.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

Hi folks,just building the "warts and all" Airfix 1/48 hurricane and due to the poor recent boxings decals ordered some after market ones.On the sheet

there are two Russian aircraft depicted for MK IIb aircraft.What were the main differences between the MKI and IIb? I know the "C" was cannon armed.

As a non rivet counter can I model a representation of a IIb from the Airfix kit?

As a non rivet counter you probably shouldn't have asked, because then you would have been happy.

The answer is no. The II has a longer nose than the I, and most examples of the IIb have 12 guns rather than 8. The II also has a different tailwheel from that of the I.

WIP has given a basic answer.

Early Mk II's had the same tailwheel and exhausts as MkI though [examples of Mk I's had the later jointed tailwheel fitted, the MkI at Hendon still does]

The nose is 4 real inches longer, which is 1/12th inch in 1/48th [about 2mm ]

The carb intake is also moved, and the radiator bath is deeper. the MkII nearly always has the longer 'bullet' rotol as well.

see here for more detail

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64364-hurricane-noses-and-the-hasegawa-172-kits/page-2

The added wing guns are easy enough to add, just scribe in some new panel, a couple of shell ejector slots and the gun barrels, which protruded from the wing.

Here's a restored IIB, http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_iia/

it's NOT a IIA, though the markings are an interesting choice, showing a very early IIA from the BoB.

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234966142-hawker-hurricane-iia-in-battle-of-britain-photographs-date-of-introduction/

This shows the added gun panels

hurricane_iia_10_of_31.jpg

Note also the position of the upperwing roundel, I keep seeing model with it too far outboard...

What sheet has 2 VVS IIB's? Is that the Sky Decals sheet? Treat it with caution, lots of it is wrong....

Soviet Hurricanes are a fascinating subject, they got about 3000 of them, nearly a 1/5th of the Hurricanes built!

there are a few threads on them here

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?board=50.0

Note the threads on regunned planes.

Thanks guys,knew I,d get the answer,just a thought as not many Russian Hurricanes get posted but there are some nice RAF options on the sheet.

And yes Troy it is the SKY sheet anything to watch out for regards the MKI options? I have used the decals for JX-B which was the reason for getting

the sheet got another two building on will be a Rumanian machine from the Airfix boxing and one from the decal sheet which I will have to choose.