All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

My hasegawa instructions are saying red in the well,(bulb?) and a clear lens over. Have you got a lens where you could drill a wee "bulb" for a speck of red on the inside? Otherwise I'd go clear.

Wow, page 29now!

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Hi Graham - you misunderstand - there is a light in the belly of the fuselage - I am trying to find out if it was coloured or silver to represent clear...

Amber

hurricane_mk1_l1592_26_of_26.jpg

from  this very useful walkround

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/index.php?Page=1

while L1592 was restored, but by Hawker's in the 1950's.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

My hasegawa instructions are saying red in the well,(bulb?) and a clear lens over. Have you got a lens where you could drill a wee "bulb" for a speck of red on the inside? Otherwise I'd go clear.

Wow, page 29now!

...great idea - where is my pin vice - perfect solution.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Amber

hurricane_mk1_l1592_26_of_26.jpg

from  this very useful walkround

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/index.php?Page=1

while L1592 was restored, but by Hawker's in the 1950's.

...not got any amber - looks close enough to red for me ;) thanks a million :clap2:

Just now, BIG X said:

...what mixing colours and being an 'amber gambler'...

who remembers this - go on show your age :D

• Like 1

OK - next question - where does the line between camo and sky lie on the leading edge of the wing - above / below / bang on what was the seam line???

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Try page 27 above.

OK - I give up - I've viewed page 27 - I can't find what you are obviously 'hinting' at - how about a simple answer - from someone...

11 minutes ago, BIG X said:

OK - I give up - I've viewed page 27 - I can't find what you are obviously 'hinting' at - how about a simple answer - from someone...

I went to page 27...scrolled down to Troy's post and noted the first photo shows the leading edge color demarcation. 

A bit of searching is well rewarded. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greenshirt said:

I went to page 27...scrolled down to Troy's post and noted the first photo shows the leading edge color demarcation. 

A bit of searching is well rewarded. 

Ha - the oldest trick in the book eh - 'hiding' the information in a picture :lol: - I was too busy reading all the posts to concentrate on the lovely pictures :doh:

Hi all. Ref my efforts on the buffed up Rhodesian airframe,V6787:-

Progressing nicely by my standards , although I'll have to search around for the right fuselage roundels.

Here's the thing though..... are the gun ports blanked off like the Aussie plane? And if that's the case, would there be no gun- sight above the instrument panel?

Afraid to say the hasegawa canopy and screen are one piece, and I don't fancy my chances cutting it, so the cockpit will have to be closed. I think the canopy would be too thick to sit on the fuse properly anyway, in the slid-back position.

Any ideas?

HI Rob

hawker_hurricane_fighter_rhodesia_01_V67

the fuselage roundel an fin flash look standard,  36 inch C1, 24 inch fin flash, see diagram below. Also in regulations position, again, see below

These were standard sizes, so the same on Spitfires, Typhoons etc etc 

see here for scans of all the Ducimus booklets

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings

Hawker%20Hurricane%20Camo%20&%20Marks_Pa

note the position of the wing roundels,  I see a lot of models with them too far outboard. Note also position of serial, though V6787 lookis lower down, note that this looks to be stencilled, (stencil breaks on the 6 and 8)

Canopy,  the new tool Airfix kit comes with separate rear slding sections, for open/closed (the canopy flexes and changes shape.  as the canopy rails are curved) so one of those might help, also Falcon and Squadron (made by Falcon) do vac form canopies, which are very thin.

The other RATG pic I posted showed taped over gun ports, so I presume they would be.  they were taped over to prevent ingress of dirt and cold air.

I can't see a gun sight, but the canopy pillar maybe obscuring it.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I recall some chat about the Aussie plane gun- ports being permanently covered either in fabric or metal, so I'm thinking the guns are removed.

So I figured this machine might be same.

My kit markings are early. It's 1942 type I'll need. Although, would she be polished up pre-42, and carry the early roundels?

Club meet Wednesday, should be able to get what I need 

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Thanks for that. I recall some chat about the Aussie plane gun- ports being permanently covered either in fabric or metal, so I'm thinking the guns are removed.

So I figured this machine might be same.

My kit markings are early. It's 1942 type I'll need. Although, would she be polished up pre-42, and carry the early roundels?

Club meet Wednesday, should be able to get what I need 

Fabric is not a permanent covering,  held on with dope, can be painted to match (as seen pre-war)

Does not imply removal of guns.

The scheme of V6787 is I think just post war, IIRC this was a BoB anniversary fly past, so Sep 1945.  You just want some stock standard roundels, and as I said, these were used by many types.

I'll send you some if you get stuck.

6 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Also, that pennant, I'm seeing light blue, dark blue and red from some long forgotten project.

Anybody know ?

Wing Commander pennant

872ff1f424.JPG

• Like 2

872ff1f424.JPG that's what I'm visualising but I wasn't sure 

Are these the pennants that they used to attach to struts on biplanes?

I think there is a selection of rubon letter and number sheets up for grabs at the club. Ever tried rubbing them onto a ribbed fuselage? (I'm thinking about the serial number now)

4 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

that's what I'm visualising but I wasn't sure 

I think there is a selection of rubon letter and number sheets up for grabs at the club. Ever tried rubbing them onto a ribbed fuselage? (I'm thinking about the serial number now)

No Idea Rob

I just googled 'Wing Commanders pennant'   

the above seemed a good colour guide, rather than one on a plane.

you should be able to rub down letter's onto the fuselage ribbing, practice on something scrap first.

One final point, I suspect the plane has been given special treatment for the flypast, and that this perhaps involved repainting the roundels,  note the ones in the background look paler, and these look very crisp, and dark.

Note the lack of exhaust stain as well, not been flying long when this was taken!   There looks to the remains of the staining on the fabric just in front of the pennant, but it would clean totally off metal more easily.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

872ff1f424.JPG that's what I'm visualising but I wasn't sure 

The best way to apply rub on decals in difficult spots is to apply them to clear decal film first then apply them to the model in the normal way.

• Like 1

Hi Rob

I hope this does not come across as petty. but work in progress is best posted in a WIP thread...

34994151831_692b947206_b.jpg

some points,  the red in the fuselage roundel looks wrong compared top the one of the wing (it should be a brick red, orange red, not a bright red), and the red centre is too small, making the white ring too big.  The Swedish blue/yellow is also showing through.  

Don't spoil your work with this, I know I have some spare C1's if you want some. PM me if you want them.

the cockpit 'doghouse' area looks the same colour as the metal panel below it .

THIS PART IS PLYWOOD COVERED IN FABRIC AND THEN PAINTED, IT SHOULD MATCH THE REST OF THE FABRIC

Note, this also shows the shape of the cockpit fairing that hasegawa got wrong.

New-wood-structure-over-Hawker-tubular-a

This is a restoration, but clearly shows what is plywood

then it all gets fabric, and then red dope primer

71.JPG

which is why here the metal panels are a different shade to the rest of the fuselage.

hawker_hurricane_fighter_rhodesia_01_V67

I can see why the confusion, Hasegawa did a really poor job of the fabric, with a 'panel line'  at the rear of the doghouse.

they also stuffed up the fabric covered panels, giving them 'edges' they don't have....

But, ....the bare metal foil looks good.

• Like 1

Depending on the Mark Hurricane, there can be three lights on the underside of the fuselage. The lens is coloured, I believe they use white light bulbs.

Edited by StevSmar

1 hour ago, StevSmar said:

Depending on the Mark Hurricane, there can be three lights on the underside of the fuselage. The lens is coloured, I believe they use white light bulbs.

the 3 underside lights came up at some point IIRC.

the coloured lens can be seen in the pic of the Science Musuem Hurricane above, 

but note, the wing tip lights are coloured bulbs behind clear covers.