All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

I have seen a photo of zinc chromate being applied with paint brush at a factory.  Could be certain parts of the assembly were done that way, while others had access to a spray gun, and when they came together you get the resulting mishmash of quality?

regards,

Jack

It almost looks like a temporary rubberized coating, applied to ensure the interior green coating isn't chipped during the assembly process. The wing center section box being a key structural piece and likely constructed of both painted and unpainted elements, then given a final coating of interior green paint, then a protective coating as it moves along. 

Possibly sat idle while the rest of the components arrived for needed assembly as a whole aircraft?

There was no MAP/RAF paint called interior green, or even Interior Green. I realise the desire to paint all RAF aircraft in US colours is strong here but . . . 

. . . it was Grey Green also described as "cockpit grey green" in some official documents, in September 1942 a No.2 synthetic enamel to DTD 206A for spray painting only, stores reference 33B/216. 

Nick

• Like 4

On 04/02/2017 at 11:46 PM, StevSmar said:

Not sure where I found this while trolling, but it is an interesting photo in that it shows the ever elusive Tac R in the distance. If you have a nice close up photo of the Tac R camera installation that would be great, it seems like images showing this are as rare as hen's teeth:

IMG_1236_zpsuvc7e5d0.jpg

Might not be the close ups you are looking for but these two may be of some help. Both taken in the desert.

Peter M

Scan008824_zps5azsd7yh.jpg

Scan008823_zpsvoisutoi.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for those last 2 pics, Peter.  Very much appreciated.  Is it me or does the bottom pic (Z4038) appear to show a short stub antenna mast?  It certainly appears to be so, which is odd for a metal-winged Hurricane.  I don't think it's an artifact on the image but I could be mistaken.

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Dave,

Yeah, I looked at that but I wondered if that wasn't just halation coupled with some obvious slight blurring of the image in the top right and top left corners.  Also, if the image is cropped, it isn't level across the entire photo because the "cut off" part of the sliding canopy is actually lower than the upper limit of the antenna mast.  Finally there's no obvious break in the image that would indicate a crop due to scanning or developing factors - the sky looks to be a consistent shade all along the top of the image. 

Cheers,
Mark

G'day Mark,

Those were scans from 35mm copy negs. I've checked back to the neg and Dave is correct, the print is cropped, not the mast. If you increase the contrast on the print, you can just make out the white border of the photo. When I scanned the neg, I rotated the image slightly - that is why the crop is not // to the top of the pic.

Cheers,

Peter

33 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Peter, do you know if the two photo's are of the same airframe? They have the look of being the same time/location

They are part of several taken at the same time. I don't think those two are of the same airframe - look at the tail wheel position. The other shots were of standard TacR Hurris without the camera pod. I don't even know the location as they came form the photographers widow and were unlabelled. All I know is that he served in the Middle East with No. 451 Sqn RAAF and on Malta with a RAF unit.

Sorry I can't help further.

Peter M

• Like 2

Has anyone picked up the Scale Resins 1/72 Hurricane wheel set? (sorry if I missed this in the post, 25 pages, and I wouldn't be surprised).

I ask as I am curious about the main wheels as well as the 2 different tail wheel types:

RA7319_1.jpg     Resin Art 1:72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.II Wheels

I've not come across treaded wheels for the Hurricane before.  I have not found any other aftermarket sets, or kits for that matter, that have come with such a set.  The tail wheels also look to be different from what I have in the kits my collection (Hasegawa and new Airfix Mk.I).

Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

At least one wartime Hurri had treaded tyres. V7476 of Central Flying School at RAAF Point Cook, on a press day, 25 March 1945. Possibly non-standard, as this was the only example that the RAAF had, and spares were not readily available. Maybe you can use your resin wheels for a model of that A/C. :huh:

Peter M

V7476_13_zps19ue7l2d.jpg

V7476_14a_zpsneuggkbm.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, MilneBay said:

Lovely pic of the RAAF Hurricane and the beat up by the P40. Are the patches over the gun ports on the Hurricane silver doped fabric or thin aluminium?

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Looks like recently added metal to me, denoting the removal of the guns, which is not entirely unexpected in a non-combatant role.

Silver  doped fabric in my opinion. Later shots of the A/C on the dump clearly show the cannon ports - unlikely if they had been sheeted over with metal.

Peter M

V7476_16_zpseowc2byw.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

At least one wartime Hurri had treaded tyres. V7476 of Central Flying School at RAAF Point Cook, on a press day, 25 March 1945. Possibly non-standard, as this was the only example that the RAAF had, and spares were not readily available. Maybe you can use your resin wheels for a model of that A/C. :huh:

Peter M

V7476_13_zps19ue7l2d.jpg

V7476_14a_zpsneuggkbm.jpg

Thank you Peter.

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Supporting that, looking back at the top picture you can see the four circles of the gunports.

Agreed Graham. I noted that, but didn't want to get into an argument about distortion of very thin metal near stagnation point. Thought the shot I posted was positive proof.

Peter M

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

the extensive stencilling (?) on the prop blades  is also an unusual feature, is any of it readable on the original  print?

I can't read it. Attached is another shot which is a bit clearer. The writing was applied when the prop was overhauled in Aus. Note the 'nick' in the trailing edge where some damage has been ground out. (Acceptable as long as the prop is structurally OK and it is re-balanced). This  photo, (and the others I posted), are available on the AWM site - VIC 0175 and around there, if you want to try and do some work with Photoshop.

Peter M

V7476_10_zpsnvgki02r.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Did they have sticky aluminium tape back then? Those gun ports look as though they could be cover by something like that, maybe a bit more metallic than doped cloth to my eye.

Steve.

There was the US military duck tape, but was issued only in green, but switched to silver after the war and become known as duct tape ...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/duct-tape-was-originally-named-duck-tape-and-came-in-green-not-silver/

regards,

Jack