All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

@Troy Smith will no doubt be along soon but an armoured ventral radiator and there’s been some discussion here recently about some external armour around the cockpit area - I think the Belgrade exhibit has this.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

@Troy Smith will no doubt be along soon but an armoured ventral radiator and there’s been some discussion here recently about some external armour around the cockpit area - I think the Belgrade exhibit has this.

Trevor

Ah yes and I’ve seen freight dog do a nice resin rad. 

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

what needs to be done to turn a IIC into a IV? Aside from adding rocket rails?

the Mk.IV had a universal wing, so could carry rockets,  40mm guns, bomb racks, droptanks, hence the assymetric load outs seen on some 6  Sq Hurricanes of 1 wing rockets, 1  wing droptank.

the IV wing was similar to the IIC, 

pics here,  no large inner door,  and 1 smaller rear door, smaller the IIC rear door.

best seen here

36332251186_1d6d552ff8_o.jpg

on leading edge left to right,  blanked landing light , 0.303 sighting gun,  and gun camera.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

there’s been some discussion here recently about some external armour around the cockpit area - I think the Belgrade exhibit has this.

is in this thread.   @StevSmar  mentioned this.

here,

read the whole page, and maybe page 36.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's a good match for the silver dope used in the black/white/aluminum undersides scheme on the Hurricane?  Is it a darker, dull finish or more towards pure silver?

Regards,

Murph

Yes.  As far as I know no research has been done on any Canadian paint manufacturer, as to whether there were small differences between their product and the official standards, but then there hasn''t been any such research on UK companies either.  I've never seen any suggestion that Canadian-painted aircraft could be distinguished from their UK counterparts by their colours.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes.  As far as I know no research has been done on any Canadian paint manufacturer, as to whether there were small differences between their product and the official standards, but then there hasn''t been any such research on UK companies either.  I've never seen any suggestion that Canadian-painted aircraft could be distinguished from their UK counterparts by their colours.

I'm assuming this photo is a "colorized" b&w one then; the colors certainly look odd (not to mention the tail flash with the shortened white center section). 

H8H2lUX.jpg

Going from the numerous b&w pictures I've seen, the aircraft fuselage code appear to be white; same aircraft in b&w from the other side:

6TSV6Uv.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

12 hours ago, Murph said:

While were at it, would a Canadian manufactured Hurricane Mk XII (135 Squadron) use standard British camo colors?

Is this a Canadian based plane?  Canadain built planes used outsdie of Canada got overhauled by M.U's in the UK and were brought to UJK standard.

FWIW here a couple of genuine period colour shots

4892772677_e79eaf63cd_b.jpg

d1c85-hurricanepr.jpg

These are in Canada,

RCAF # 5625 operated by 13 (Photo) Squ. RCAF. This aircraft has a unique camouflage pattern carried only by 13 Squ. Spitfires and Hurricanes.
http://www.ascalecanadian.com/2007/10/rcaf-hawker-hurricanes-part-1.html

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/2007/10/rcaf-hawker-hurricanes-part-2.html

noet I think these were used for mapping in Canada, hence the extensive pale exhaust stains from a very 'leaned out' mixture.

the brighter roundel colours are of  note.

Since the Canadians built various British types under licence for the British, I presume they used MAP approved colours.

@airjiml2  is the go to chap for Canadian Hurricane info,  that's his blog I linked. @StevSmar  may know more.

HTH

26 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Is this a Canadian based plane?  Canadain built planes used outsdie of Canada got overhauled by M.U's in the UK and were brought to UJK standard.

Yes, RCAF 135 Squadron; they were a home defence unit  LINK.  Thanks for the pictures and links.

Regards,

Murph

Notice the sheen on the red part of the fin flash on the top pic, compared with the camo, where the light is bouncing off the change of angle caused by the fin's leading-edge sheet covering. It looks exactly like a trimmed decal applied over matt paint with no overcoat.

Edited by Work In Progress

Does anyone have any pictures of Hurricane serial number P2831, 'LE.K' flown by Dickie Cork of 242 Squadron during the Battle of Britain, or any good references? I want to know if it carried a type A or type B camouflage, and the Xtradecal guide doesn't help as it shows the fuselage in a type A camo but has the diagram of the wings in a type B form.

Thanks!

https://flic.kr/p/26y4uLY

Link above shows the armour on the side of KZ191's cockpit, and what looks like armour on the top side of the windshield.

I would post the image myself but am obviously not intelligent enough to work out third party image hosting (the link is red when I paste it...).

Edited by StevSmar
Lack of intelligence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StevSmar said:

https://flic.kr/p/26y4uLY

Link above shows the armour on the side of KZ191's cockpit, and what looks like armour on the top side of the windshield.

I would post the image myself but am obviously not intelligent enough to work out third party image hosting (the link is red when I paste it...).

The image from above:

41713286392_4f82cec8f0_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I want to build Keith Park's Malta OK 2 in 1/32. 

I'm eyeballing the Fly kit. I can get a really good price on the IIc/Trop. I can still get the IIc, but the price... not so good. 

Are there significant differences in the plastic beyond the Vokes filter? Can I model a non-trop easily from the Trop, or should the lazy modeler (I should trademark that) stick to the mostly sold out IIc boxing? 

Hopefully not too silly a question, but were 3" RP ever carried as standard by Hurricanes other than the 'universal' wing Mk.IV? I'm sure I've seen a reference to Mk.IIb & IIc and RP carriage somewhere and there are photos of a Sea Hurricane in this thread with a trials (or perhaps simply unofficial?) RP lash up. But apart from that Sea Hurricane and various Mk.IVs I've never seen a photo of a Mk.IIb/c with RP fitted. Was it done?

2 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

I want to build Keith Park's Malta OK 2 in 1/32. 

I'm eyeballing the Fly kit. I can get a really good price on the IIc/Trop. I can still get the IIc, but the price... not so good. 

OK-2 is usually described as a IIc, but in the photos

OK2NormanFranks0001.jpg&key=beee0e33ff19

I can't see any trace of cannons,

malta-keith-park-hurricane.jpg

the IIc was considered a bit of a truck with cannons,  so I'd suggest a IIA is more likely. 

note the under wing shackle

the only photos I have seen are the above and this

LN-KeithPark2-20140128171952349661-300x0

the serail is quoted as Z3574 (poss serial)   so  if someone could check what that was built as?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gazontipede said:

but were 3" RP ever carried as standard by Hurricanes other than the 'universal' wing Mk.IV? I'm sure I've seen a reference to Mk.IIb & IIc and RP carriage somewhere and there are photos of a Sea Hurricane in this thread with a trials (or perhaps simply unofficial?) RP lash up. But apart from that Sea Hurricane and various Mk.IVs I've never seen a photo of a Mk.IIb/c with RP fitted. Was it done?

yes, but the only other example i know of  are Canadian based Mk,XII's

Hurricane_Armed.jpg

from @airjiml2  blog

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/search?q=hurricane+xii

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

yes, but the only other example i know of  are Canadian based Mk,XII's

Hurricane_Armed.jpg

from @airjiml2  blog

http://www.ascalecanadian.com/search?q=hurricane+xii

Wow, thanks for the quick response Troy. So it was done.

But not, apparently, on operations. At least in this instance, I'm assuming that these were being used for training? (A possibly dangerous assumption as they could very well be being used as patrol aircraft.)