All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

I wonder if anybody can help me with a nostalgia question.

Thirty odd years ago I built the then relatively new Airfix Hurricane 1. Somewhere along the way, I messed up the propeller. So, new plan, I got an Aeroclub Watts two-blader and built from a photo in a book (unaware in those innocent pre-internet days of things like fabric wings and unarmoured canopies). The result was an 85sqn Hurricane in France. No serial number, coded VY-H. No fin/rudder stripes (but hexagon on fin), no yellow outline to the fuselage roundel and, as I say, Watts. The model, slightly battered sits before me now and for nostalgia, I am thinking of building the new Airfix Hurricane in the same markings (on the assumption it had a fabric wing.)

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline. So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

many thanks

Paul 

54 minutes ago, vildebeest said:

Thirty odd years ago I built the then relatively new Airfix Hurricane 1. Somewhere along the way, I messed up the propeller. So, new plan, I got an Aeroclub Watts two-blader and built from a photo in a book (unaware in those innocent pre-internet days of things like fabric wings and unarmoured canopies). The result was an 85sqn Hurricane in France. No serial number, coded VY-H. No fin/rudder stripes (but hexagon on fin), no yellow outline to the fuselage roundel and, as I say, Watts. The model, slightly battered sits before me now and for nostalgia, I am thinking of building the new Airfix Hurricane in the same markings (on the assumption it had a fabric wing.)

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline.

this one?

84a329b082bd7c0cb8d5f46bb8835493.jpg

3 blade prop, but no yellow outline.  Part of a series of photos of 85 Sq taken in winter 39./40.   From what I can see the of the gun bays this is metal winged. I'd not swear either way.

Only shot of VY-H I know of.

54 minutes ago, vildebeest said:

So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

Given there are not that many photos, and if it was in a book back then there is a good chance it's online now,  I suspect  you might be thinking of this 

https://live.staticflickr.com/4105/5083923523_6f301d1338_o.png

or this, as with careless cropping this could be taken for H

613px-Hawker_Hurricanes_at_Lille-Seclin_

Bear in mind that the two blade props were replaced during service,  as the De Havilland unit made big difference to performance.  

Where did you get the the VY-H codes?  the old tool Airfix 1/48th came with VY-G codes, I have no memory of  any VY-H codes being in a kit.

Thanks. Troy.

VY-H and the hexagon were cut out of solid decal sheet. This is where I am beginning to have doubts.  Did I actually see a photo of VY-H as I described, or did I see a photo of another Hurricane which was not H. but then decided that there must have been an H (with serials painted out) on the entirely reasonable grounds that H is a lot easier to cut out of solid decal sheet than, say, B is?

Paul

I'm like Troy and wondering if you are thinking of Airfix's old mould 1/48 kit which came with a 85 Sqn mount coded VY-G, no serial and with the hexagon, and based on the famous photo of the port side of this aircraft taken at Merville.

If it is this kit, I have it on the go at the moment and it's actually rather good for something of this age. Sure the cockpit is sparse, it has raised panel lines but the shape is very, very accurate and the fuselage fabric effect is rendered beautifully - much better than the overdone effect on the Hasegawa version I made some years back. Still very easy to get hold of, the decals in the later boxings are still fine and you can pick it up for a song.

5 hours ago, vildebeest said:

I wonder if anybody can help me with a nostalgia question.

My problem, nowhere can I find the photo on which this was based. It is not in any of the books I or my father had then so it was probably a library book. I cannot find it on the internet, can find VY-H in later guise with 3 blade prop and yellow outline. So my question is, does anybody have a photo and what book around in the 1980's might I have seen it in?

many thanks

Paul 

Paul, 

thirty odd years ago I started to build the Revell 1/32 Hurricane. I wanted to build the A/C flown by "Paul", a fighter pilot in France.

At the time I had a censored copy of his book, "Fighter Pilot". 

I now know it was Paul Ritchie and have the post war, uncensored version. 

Like you I fitted a 2 blade Watts prop, not knowing that these props were rarely, if ever, fitted to metal winged A/C. 

I'm close to finishing this model, (it is a long, long story), with after market U/C, prop, canopy, etc, but I know it isn't correct. I've found photos, references and support from this place. What do I do? 

Scrap it, or finish it?

I'm finishing it, if only because I've spent since the early 1970s  working on it... 

Enjoy your journey! 

Hi All,

I know this thread is way old (though people are still posting to it), and I tried to go through as much of it as I could, but didn't find the answer I'm looking for.  I am working on the 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1 Tropical, and I'm at the pint of painting.  I'm doing the Dark Earth and Middlestone scheme that was in the instructions, but I have a second one of these that I"m going to build without the Tropical additions, and will be doing a Battle of Britain Hurricane; I already have the decals for that.

What I'm unhappy about, nd need help with is details of the rivets.  I'd gotten so spoiled with the latest Tamiya and Eduard airplanes, that include EVERYTHING in their moldings, I frankly didn't even look, and I didn't notice that the rivets weren't present until painting was alreadyy in progress.  I know, i know...how stupid/ignorant can one be?  Regardless, I'm going to finish this one up, sand rivets, but does anyone know of a site, or have themselves, detailed drawings of where the rivets, particularly on the wings, belong?  I see that some folks have done archer rivets, which I WASY beyond my capabilities, and I have every imaginable ponce wheel for creating indented rivets that anyone could need.  I just need to know, in detail, where the reverts belong!!!  I've searched and found nothing that specific.

I'd be indebted to anyone who could provide the details of rivet locations so I can make my next, BoB, Hurricane, as accurate a possible,  I've really enjoyed the Airfix model, just frustrated about the lack of those important details!

2 hours ago, JackG said:

There was recent posting in the RFI section where the individual riveted his Hurricane.  Maybe they could reveal their source?

regards,

Jack

Great thought...thank you!

19 hours ago, Curt B said:

I'd be indebted to anyone who could provide the details of rivet locations so I can make my next, BoB, Hurricane, as accurate a possible,  I've really enjoyed the Airfix model, just frustrated about the lack of those important details!

read this

best accurate build of the Airfix Hurricane I have seen. Hurricane have flush rivets in the front part if the wing, the rest are mushroom headed.  

the best Hurricane plans are the Aurthur Bentley ones. 

Finnish Hurricane.

Unrestored, untouched since 1943

https://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1536/

https://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1295/

Apart from 5 spoke wheel, the prop and lack of starboard rectangular hatch,  all the rest on a standard BoB hurricane is the same

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this has been asked  in the thread (65 pages of it!!!) before but where did the Accumulator Trolley plug into the Hurricane Mk 1?

I checked my old builds of Hurricane II in Burma and I appear to have plugged it in under the starboard wing but I can't find or remember any reference to this so wanted to be sure before I made a 'schoolboy' error :)

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

Don't know if this has been asked  in the thread (65 pages of it!!!) before but where did the Accumulator Trolley plug into the Hurricane Mk 1?

I checked my old builds of Hurricane II in Burma and I appear to have plugged it in under the starboard wing but I can't find or remember any reference to this so wanted to be sure before I made a 'schoolboy' error :)

Thanks

33880446618_f7ccc48958_b.jpg85 Squadron 51 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

P3166, VY-Q, 85 sq, July 1940

hurricane_mk1_l1592_14_of_26.jpg

pic enlarges

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is well-trod ground. I did look through this thread. I'm confused about this screen shot from HAWKER HURRICANE during WWII in Colour @ 2:15. The Airfix instructions for their new 1/48 Mk.I and Mk.I Tropical claim the plate behind the seat is interior green, yet this isn't. Would somebody please explain?

t-O8ui1-Wt9-Nc-2-24.jpg

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Apologies if this is well-trod ground. I did look through this thread. I'm confused about this screen shot from HAWKER HURRICANE during WWII in Colour @ 2:15. The Airfix instructions for their new 1/48 Mk.I and Mk.I Tropical claim the plate behind the seat is interior green, yet this isn't. Would somebody please explain?

Note the backplate is the same as the canopy frames,  its clearly visible from outside, I presume it has been painted in Dark Green.  Note, this Hurricane, HW189, has possibly been repainted in the field, as it has Azure Blue undersides.

Hmm, but, thinking about it, then some Middle Stone would likely be visible in the canopy chipping...

It maybe just a change as the Grey Green created a bright spot.  I'll go on a photo scour later, but sort of detail that doesn't show up well in most photos.

The colour balance in this photo is quite poor so its entirely possible that it is green but the contrast went a bit squiffy during the scanning or even the original photo has degraded as the dyes in the photo aged. Look at the colour of the fuselage directly under the canopy - that should be green but it looks very dark

Ahh just noticed its a screencap from a video - even more so with colour film colour fading could have happened and again when it was digitised, colour balances can be a bit tricky.

Edited by Kallisti

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

The Airfix instructions for their new 1/48 Mk.I and Mk.I Tropical claim the plate behind the seat is interior green, yet this isn't. Would somebody please explain?

this, 30858203435_f617e6825a_o.jpgHurricane pilot, c1942. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

shows Dark Green,  note that the Night is flaking off the canopy frames, as is the angled cut out. 

the top plate is separate.  I presume that the Grey Green just was too visible, and there was a switch to Dark Green later?  Could even be done at unit level. 

Makes em wonder about Trop planes with Middle Stone...

Mk.I 's show a lighter colour in the few images where the plate and externals are visible...

These B/W images show a different tone to the external Dark Green

post-1-0-88724000-1380559338.jpg&key=e6c

post-1-0-06903700-1370380464.jpg&key=3d6

post-1-0-33354900-1394826792.jpg&key=6db

Hurricanes, so simple until they are not.....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Any guesses to the dimensions of the framework on the sliding canopy?  The bottom piece appears to be double the height of the other frames, while the rearmost vertical looks to be the narrowest.  Would be interested in seeing some actual numbers  - inches or cm, either is good.

regards,

Jack

I am making a Hurricane Mk1 for the BoB GB using the new Airfix kit and this is something out of my comfort zone. I am wanting to make one of the Polish aircraft from 303 Sqn. I know that the aircraft that they used metal winged Hurricanes, which the Airfix kit is not. In the long run does this make any difference, and secondly did Airfix make a metal winged version of their Hurricane, if so which kit is it and could it be adopted to fit the one that I am using?

On 5/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, vildebeest said:

Thanks. Troy.

VY-H and the hexagon were cut out of solid decal sheet. This is where I am beginning to have doubts.  Did I actually see a photo of VY-H as I described, or did I see a photo of another Hurricane which was not H. but then decided that there must have been an H (with serials painted out) on the entirely reasonable grounds that H is a lot easier to cut out of solid decal sheet than, say, B is?

Paul

Hi, I just came across your original question and was thinking along the same lines, except that I theorised you might have had a spare 'H' on a decal sheet. I'm wondering whether this might have been the photo you saw. It's quite a well known image and I certainly remember having a book that included it. I've a feeling it was "Hurricane at War" and a quick check shows that was published in 1974.

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I am making a Hurricane Mk1 for the BoB GB using the new Airfix kit and this is something out of my comfort zone. I am wanting to make one of the Polish aircraft from 303 Sqn. I know that the aircraft that they used metal winged Hurricanes, which the Airfix kit is not. In the long run does this make any difference, and secondly did Airfix make a metal winged version of their Hurricane, if so which kit is it and could it be adopted to fit the one that I am using?

Airfix do not do a metal-winged version of their current  1/72 Hurricane - I assume that you mean 1/72.  Earlier Airfix Hurricanes are much better ignored.  You would also need to consider a Rotol propeller and spinner, depending upon the aircraft you chose, and also (I believe) an armoured windscreen, apart from the differences in the wing, centre-section and landing light position.  There may also be an extra panel in the fuselage behind the cockpit.  The Airfix kit also has some problems in assembly - nothing too serious but if you are already out of your comfort zone (what better way to improve?) then you'd be better off finding an an Arma Hobby kit which is not only more appropriate but also a better kit.  You could still make a perfectly acceptable early Hurricane from the Airfix kit, with a bit of work.

An alternative for the masochist would be to get the earlier Airfix Hurricane Mk.I  chop the outer wings off both, and swap.  You could (perhaps) use the older windscreen and propeller/spinner.  However you be likely to be left with a lot of inferior and inappropriate bits and only one model.

A rag wing Hurricane during the BoB era is possible.  It depends on the serial number and evidence of it existing during this period, either in photo form or listed in a squadron diary.

regards,

Jack

1 hour ago, JackG said:

A rag wing Hurricane during the BoB era is possible.  It depends on the serial number and evidence of it existing during this period, either in photo form or listed in a squadron diary.

regards,

Jack

L1592 (as survives in the Science Museum) was with 615 Squadron when it was forced down on 18th August 1940. The starter set issue of the kit includes decals for that aircraft

317715-10105-12-pristine.jpg

Edited by Dave Fleming

2 hours ago, JackG said:

regards,

Jack

As per the Airfix kit?  They are rare.   

I know of two photo documented.

39 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

L1592 (as survives in the Science Museum) was with 615 Squadron when it was forced down on 18th August 1940. The starter set issue of the kit includes decals for that aircraft

L1592/KW-Z is the classic (shame Airfix seem to have messed up the code letters, too narrow in width, assuming a degree of Sq uniformity), as well as the famous shot up  615 plane , KW-W, apparently L1829

s-l1600.jpg&key=bcd2aac63f2f63cec3596e56

large.jpg?action=e%26cat=photographs&key

L1926,  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985421-hurricane-mk-i-l1926-du-j-of-no-312-czech-squadron-duxford-1940/

what has been confirmed recently is that about 50 P**** and some V**** were built with fabric wings, and saw service with fabric wings. at least the ones with photos show They were not rewinged.

In the list below note serials in bold

"First unit issued to other than initial delivery to Maintenance Unit, also second unit if there was a quick reassignment, and when officially lost.  Issue dates generally seem similar to other Hurricanes with nearby serials.  Some of the entries are hard to read, so if people have better dates please post them.

P3714, 253 Sqn 12 June 1940, 1 CRU?/4 MU 4? September 1940, later became mark II DR341, Russia
P3715, 238 Sqn 18 June 1940, 19 MU 20 Jun 1940, 242 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 30 Jun 1943
P3716, 229 Sqn 4 June 1940, 15 MU 2 July 1940, SOC 1 Apr 1942
P3717, 238 Sqn 18 June 1940, 19 MU 20 June 1940, 253 Sqn 13 July 1940, later became mark II DR348, Russia
P3737, 605 Sqn 3 July 1940, SOC 1 November 1940
P3738, RAF Station? ?llck 5 July 1940, 232 Sqn 21 July 1940, SOC 22 Sep 1940
P3739, Transferred from 22 to 5 MU 16 August 1940, 141 Sqn 20 August 1940, SOC 16 March 1942
P3755, 87 Sqn 25 June 1940, SOC 27 December 1940
P3757, 1 RCAF Sqn 26 June 1940
P3758, 73 Sqn 21 June 1940, SOC 2 September 1940.
P3759, 245 Sqn 26 June 1940, became mark II DR349, Russia.
P3760, CFF 11 June 1940, SOC 19 August 1940
P3761, 245 Sqn 26 June 1940, SOC 29 December 1941
P3767, 238 Sqn 11 July 1940, 263 Sqn 15 JUly 1940, SOC 1 April 1941
P3768, transferred from 20 to 47 MU 14 August 1940, Middle East, "Unknown Destination" 9 November 1940
P3770, 3 Sqn 11 July 1940, 504 Sqn 16 August 1940, SOC 11 September 1940.
P3771, 3 Sqn 11 July 1940, Rolls Royce 20 July 1940, SOC 31 May 1943
P3772, 3 Sqn 12 July 1940, 504 Sqn 14 September 1940, SOC 27 May 1941
P3773, 3 Sqn 11 July 1940, no further information
P3774, 3 Sqn 12 July 1940, 504 Sqn 14 September 1940, SOC 21 September 1940
P3854, 7 OTU 17 June 1940, 5 OTU 13 August 1940, SOC 22 May 1941
P3858, 1 RCAF Sqn 26 June 1940, SOC 18 September 1940
P3859, 1 RCAF Sqn 26 June 1940, SOC 19 September 1940
P3860, 607 Sqn 4 July 1940, SOC 8 October 1940
P3861, 249 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 5 March 1945
P3862, 249 Sqn 13 July 1940, CAT E 30 May 1944
P3863, 73 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC June 1944
P3864, 242 Sqn 13 July 1940, AMDP 19 August 1940, 242 Sqn 25 August 1940, SOC 17 January 1941
P3865, 73 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 23 September 1940
P3866, 249 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 12 May 1941
P3867, 302 Sqn 27 July 1940, SOC 4 March 1941
P3868, 249 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 13 September 1942
P3869, 1 RCAF Sqn 22 July 1940, SOC 31 August 1940
P3872, 1 RCAF Sqn 30 June 1940, SOC 2 November 1940
P3873, 1 RCAF Sqn 30 July 1940, SOC 10 October 1940
P3874, 1 RCAF Sqn 30 July 1940, SOC 2 September 1940
P3875, 111 Sqn 18 July 1940, SOC 2 September 1940
P3882, 151 Sqn 2 July 1940, SOC 30 September 1940
P3883, 1 RACF Sqn 11 July 1940, SOC 19 November 1940
P3884, 601 Sqn 12 July 1940, SOC 31 December 1946
P3885, 601 Sqn 12 July 1940, SOC 13 August 1940
P3886, 601 Sqn 12 July 1940, SOC 28 September 1944
P3887, 310 Sqn 19 July 1940, SOC 1 September 1940
P3888, 310 Sqn 19 July 1940, SOC 11 September 1940
P3889, 310 Sqn 19 July 1940, SOC 1 November 1940
P3890, 257 Sqn 9 August 1940, 303 Sqn 10 August 1940, SOC 8 September 1940
P3897, 1 Sqn 12 August 1940, SOC 11 September 1940
P8816, 501 Sqn 7 August 1940, SOC 26 November 1940
P8817, Transferred from 5 to 50? MU 22 August 1940, sold to South Africa the same day.
P8818, 601 Sqn 25 July 1940, SOC 23 September 1940
R2680, 238 Sqn 7 August 1940, SOC 27 April 1943
R2681, 238 Sqn 8 August 1940, SOC 27 November 1944
V7200, 79 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 14? September? 1940?
V7201, 46 Sqn 12 July 1940, CAT E 27 May 1944
V7202, 46 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 31 December 1940
V7203, 242 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 30 January 1941
V7204, 87 Sqn 13 July 1940, SOC 4 January 1941
V7205, 32 Sqn 24 July 1940, SOC 12 August 1940
V7206, 43 Sqn 23 July 1940, SOC 27 January 1941
V7207, 87 Sqn 13 July 1940, To FAA, Cat E 13 October 1944
V7208, 213 Sqn 23 July 1940, SOC 28 September 1944
V7209, 73 Sqn 23 July 1940, Robin Sites? (Ship name?) 8 April 1941
V7222, 111 Sqn 14 August 1940, 13 MU 27 August 1940 for repairs, SOC 22 November 1942
V7224, 213 Sqn 14 August 1940, CAT E 30 September 1943
V7225, 87 Sqn 14 August 1940, SOC 26 August 1941
V7226, 87? Sqn 12 Aug 1940, 213 Sqn same day, SOC 30 September 1940
V7227, 87 Sqn 13 August 1940, 213 Sqn 13 August 1940, SOC 22 August 1940
V7228, 87 Sqn 13 August 1940, 213 Sqn same day, SOC August 1940
V7229, 601 Sqn 9 July 1940, no loss date given
V7230, 501 Sqn 3 August 1940, SOC 4 January 1941
V7231, 87 Sqn 29 July 1940, SOC 13 August 1940
V7232, 46 Sqn 29 July 1940, SOC 11 Oct 1940
V7233, 87 Sqn 29 July 1940, SOC 13 August 1940
V7234, 501 Sqn 3 August 1940, converted to Mark II DG617
V7235, 267 Sqn 9 August 1940, 303 Sqn 10 August 1940, SOC 31 May 1941
V7276, transferred from 5 to 47 MU 3 August 1940, South Africa 20 August 1940
V7281, transferred from 5 to 47 MU 7 August 1940, South Africa 20 August 1940

Early Hurricane contracts summary, when some orders were still being fulfilled, numbers ordered and built                    
Requisition \ Contract \ Maker \ Order \ I \ II \ IIA \ IIB \ IIC \ Sea \ Notes
26/36 \ 527112/36 \ Hawker \ 580 \ 580 \  \  \  \  \  \ Includes 60 for other governments.  Completed 8 Nov 1939
215/38 \ 966177/38 \ Hawker \ 20 \ 20 \  \  \  \  \  \ For Canada, originally part of contract 527112/36
195/38 \ B19773/39 \ Gloster \ 100 \ 100 \  \  \  \  \  \ Completed 9 Aug 1940
195/38 \ 962371/38 \ Gloster \ 500 \ 500 \  \  \  \  \  \ Completed 13 Jul 1940
195/38 \ 962371/38 \ Hawker \ 292 \ 292 \  \  \  \  \  \ Brooklands, completed 20 Jul 1940
195/38 \ 962371/38 \ Hawker \ 232 \ 232 \  \  \  \  \  \ Langley, completed 17 Jul 1940
56/38 \ 751458/38 \ Hawker \ 300 \ 300 \  \  \  \  \  \ Includes 12 for other governments.  Completed 15 Feb 1940
239/38 \ 964753/38 \ CCF \ 40 \ 40 \  \  \  \  \  \ Completed 2 Aug 1940
5/E1/39 \ B85730/40 \ Gloster \ 1700 \ 1250 \  \ 33 \ 417 \  \  \ Ordered as 500 then an extra 1,200
7/E1/39 \ B62305/39 \ Hawker \ 3738 \ 500 \  \ 429 \ 1138 \ 1671 \  \ Original order for 2,679 a/c?
11/E1/40 \ B62305/39 \ Hawker \  \  \  \  \  \  \  \ Aircraft counted In previous line, this order for 1,059 a/c?
4/E1/40 \ B158177/40 \ Gloster \ 450 \  \  \  \ 450 \  \  \ In summary card as 720 aircraft but 270 cancelled
8/E1/39 \ SB6648 \ CCF \ 560 \ 386 \ 174 \  \  \  \  \ 
1/E1/41 \ SB6648? \ CCF \ 200 \  \ 150 \  \  \  \ 50 \ Some contract card summaries say order was 50 I and 150 II.
5/E1/40 \ B124304/40 \ Austin \ 300 \  \  \  \ 300 \  \  \ 
All \ All \ Totals \ 9012 \ 4200 \ 324 \ 462 \ 2305 \ 1671 \ 50 \ 

All \ All \ Hawker \ 5162 \ 1924 \  \ 429 \ 1138 \ 1671 \  \ Delivery logs totals are 1924 I, 418 IIA, 1768 IIB, 1008 IIC, 44 IID
All \ All \ Gloster \ 2750 \ 1850 \  \ 33 \ 867 \  \  \ Delivery logs agree with contract card summary
All \ All \ Austin \ 300 \  \  \  \ 300 \  \  \ Delivery logs agree with contract card summary
All \ All \ CCF \ 800 \ 426 \ 324 \  \  \  \ 50 \ 

The data without column markers,

Requisition Contract Maker Order I II IIA IIB IIC Sea Notes
26/36 527112/36 Hawker 580 580      Includes 60 for other governments.  Completed 8 Nov 1939
215/38 966177/38 Hawker 20 20      For Canada, originally part of contract 527112/36
195/38 B19773/39 Gloster 100 100      Completed 9 Aug 1940
195/38 962371/38 Gloster 500 500      Completed 13 Jul 1940
195/38 962371/38 Hawker 292 292      Brooklands, completed 20 Jul 1940
195/38 962371/38 Hawker 232 232      Langley, completed 17 Jul 1940
56/38 751458/38 Hawker 300 300      Includes 12 for other governments.  Completed 15 Feb 1940
239/38 964753/38 CCF 40 40      Completed 2 Aug 1940
5/E1/39 B85730/40 Gloster 1700 1250  33 417   Ordered as 500 then an extra 1,200
7/E1/39 B62305/39 Hawker 3738 500  429 1138 1671  Original order for 2,679 a/c?
11/E1/40 B62305/39 Hawker        Aircraft counted In previous line, this order for 1,059 a/c?
4/E1/40 B158177/40 Gloster 450    450   In summary card as 720 aircraft but 270 cancelled
8/E1/39 SB6648 CCF 560 386 174     
1/E1/41 SB6648? CCF 200  150    50 Some contract card summaries say order was 50 I and 150 II.
5/E1/40 B124304/40 Austin 300    300   
All All Totals 9012 4200 324 462 2305 1671 50 

All All Hawker 5162 1924  429 1138 1671  Delivery logs totals are 1924 I, 418 IIA, 1768 IIB, 1008 IIC, 44 IID
All All Gloster 2750 1850  33 867   Delivery logs agree with contract card summary
All All Austin 300    300   Delivery logs agree with contract card summary
All All CCF 800 426 324    50 

Geoffrey Sinclair"

thank to @Geoffrey Sinclair for this

Photo examples

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049865-fabric-wing-hurricane-v7203/

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-242Sqn-LET-SubLt-

YB-F 17 Sq, Debden July 1940.   3 possible serials.

1548606249_17-Squadron-13.jpg&key=c45436

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/

P3886

large.jpg?action=e%26cat=photographs&key

And this, 

P3854, the lead aircraft,  VY-Q of 85 Sq,  flown by S/Ldr Peter Townsend, in October 1940, the different wing (light position and ejector slots) are visible.

50037883012_4e4eac2418_o.png

Also, in Hurricane at War 2,  page 24, there is an interview with Don Stones, where he states that the fabric wing Hurricane, "I had the oldest aeroplane in the squadron which was a Hurricane I with a fixed wooden airscrew and fabric wings, L1716, It tended to a long time to off the ground, it was jolly good when you got it off the ground, very light, and i always thought it more manoeuvrable than the tin-winged ones"

And this a one with a fixed wooden prop, not a constant speed Rotol unit.

Which leads to an  interesting point, that in the case of VY-Q, perhaps Townsend picked this because it had fabric wings

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235005804-hurricane-p3886-uniqe-fabric-wing/&do=findComment&comment=3735852

which generated no interest it seems....

CH1503_2c.jpg&key=9598839fd0a2126a86a989

see 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234914438-85-squadron-royal-air-force-hurricanes/

But regarding the Airfix kit.

This build an early model, curved lower windscreen, no rectangular starboard access panel.

the planes about are late standard Mk.I, except for fabric wings, so 4 spoke wheels and the later style attenna, (but in the airfix kit) though the wheels are too big.

And as the canopy is too high, a replacement is good idea, which solves that, just needing a Rotol prop,  which can be sourced.

I personally have found the above to be pretty jaw dropping, especially P3854,  as  the famed subject of the 1/24th Airfix kit, and the photo session from which the pics are from is really really famous, the image above is used all the time, it even in the opening credits of The Big Bang Theory....

https://haraldkraft.de/thebigbangtheory/

introsnap077_sm.png

And no one noticed the wing,  me included, until Geoffrey posted the serials....

• Like 3