All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

See post 313 for an explanation of it being blue.

Trevor

That's an assertion, not an explanation.

The aeroplane was completely repainted from its camouflage scheme in the standard RAF colours of the day, like everything else that survived long enough after the war: aluminium dope with D type roundels.

The Airfix kit A02096 has a Sea Hurricane scheme that is White over Sky (I think - I sold the kit without building it). Scalemates shows that aircraft as 835 NAS, NF572, 7-K. Could that have led to stories about overall white Hurricanes?

Cheers,

Bill

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

The Airfix kit A02096 has a Sea Hurricane scheme that is White over Sky (I think - I sold the kit without building it). Scalemates shows that aircraft as 835 NAS, NF572, 7-K. Could that have led to stories about overall white Hurricanes?

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill... Entirely possible but I'm most likely remembering the whole story incorrectly. However Im still remembering the program and can visualize it. Its possible I'm superimposing one part of the program over the Sea hurricanes to get the image in my memory. 

Dennis

On 10/13/2019 at 1:49 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok super crazy Hurricane question here. Quite sometime before I ever joined the Forum. I read or saw a documentary that claimed certain members of the British Aristocracy, two is what i recall. I think they were Lords or Dukes each given a Hurricane to fly around in and perform there jobs during the war. One was all white the other was a light or medium blue in color ? I think one was in charge of aircraft production at the various factories, he flew the white hurricane. Im not sure about the second’s job. Now was i reading/hearing  this wrong or was it fact ? If it was fact who were they and what exactly were there titles/responsibilities ? 

Dennis

As suggested by @72modeler i am asking @tonyot if you possibly have any insight into this question ? Im positive I remember this, but i could be super imposing different things over each other.  

Dennis

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

As suggested by @72modeler i am asking @tonyot if you possibly have any insight into this question ? Im positive I remember this, but i could be super imposing different things over each other.  

Dennis

I`ve never heard that about the Lords or Dukes flying around in a white or light blue Hurricane,.... new one on me. The Speed Spitfire was used as a run about in its blue finish with a silver flash down the side,..... but that was a very rare splash of colour.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

About to start painting the camoflage on a hurricane, so need to pick whether its a or b type, and I need to check to some spinners and props. Have decals for the following

sky Models Baders LE-D 

sky Models N2359 YB-J 

Aviaelogy P3143 NN-D 

But I only have a Dehavellend Hurricane or DH Spitifire props to hand, any of these correct?  

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

About to start painting the camoflage on a hurricane, so need to pick whether its a or b type, and I need to check to some spinners and props. Have decals for the following

sky Models Baders LE-D 

sky Models N2359 YB-J 

Aviaelogy P3143 NN-D 

But I only have a Dehavellend Hurricane or DH Spitifire props to hand, any of these correct?  

Aviaeology’s research in general is much better than Sky’s. I know nothing about that particular Sky sheet, but based on Sky’s general record, I would pick the one from Aviaeology if you have the appropriate prop and spinner

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

sky Models Baders LE-D 

sky Models N2359 YB-J 

Aviaelogy P3143 NN-D 

you have the serials, they are all famous photos,  chuck them in search engine...

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/RAF-310Sqn-NN.html  more pics in link

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-310Sqn-NN-D-Bohum

Spitfire Rotol

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/RAF-17Sqn-YB.html

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-17Sqn-YBJ-N2359-S

DH Hurricane

Note, as it's a N2359,  it has 5 spoke wheels, and lacks the rectangular hatch on the starboard side.  

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/RAF-242Sqn-LE.html

Aircrew-RAF-242Sqn-Douglas-Bader-IWM-CH1

Spitfire Rotol

the Sky Models sheet tends to be crap, the codes are the wrong colours, and the research is "we found some nice profiles" 

If you lack the right prop, the Arma kit has two props, DH and Rotol blades, and 3 types of spinner, DH Hurricane, Spitfire Rotol and Hurricane Rotol.  

Plenty of the right type in spares boxes, try asking in the wanted section. 

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/26/2018 at 7:04 PM, StevSmar said:

This drawing excerpt shows the auxiliary oil tank that was fitted behind the cockpit when 90 gallon ferry tanks were fitted. Does anyone have a photo showing this modification to the cockpit Fairing?

HH-Auxiliary Oil Tank for Tony O

Following on from my post above on the Auxiliary Oil Tank which was fitted when the 88 Gallon ferry tanks were fitted.

The image preview below more clearly shows the cover for the oil tank! Another Hurricane mystery largely solved...

This image looks like it's from the collection the RAF museum holds, which unfortunately don't seem to be all catalogued online.

spacer.png

Edited by StevSmar
Inadequate proof reading
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post this - it comes from the AIR81 file relating to the loss of Pilot Officer Richard Hulse of 501 Squadron on 8th June 1940.  Later in the war the Air Ministry received this photo ( and a piece of fabric ) via French sources, claiming it was the remains of his Hurricane. Of note is the apparent red/white/blue spinner.

N8pGj8w.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I remember seeing somewhere on Britmodeller few posts about all possible combinations of spinner types with propellers on Hurricane, but can't find it anymore. Can anyone help me find that content again?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

I remember seeing somewhere on Britmodeller few posts about all possible combinations of spinner types with propellers on Hurricane, but can't find it anymore. Can anyone help me find that content again?

Thanks

What are the odds that airframe N2340 was flying with fabric covered wings until it's end?  I have it being taken on charge by 111 Sqn. in October 1939 until it failed to return on an August 18th sortie of 1940.

3zJVdgO.png

IuSW6mN.png

regards,

Jack

40 minutes ago, JackG said:

What are the odds that airframe N2340 was flying with fabric covered wings until it's end?

If you had an airframe history, and it had a major repair, then it might have been rewinged. 

If not, then it would have stayed fabric, L1592 served in Training Command with fabric wings, as as did L1926, seen nosed over in 1942, bit operational in sep 1940 with 312 sq.   

one surprise that has turned up here is of a few  later Mk.I's being built with fabric wings. 

In Hurricane at War 2 a pilot says they were flew better with fabric wings as well...  Don Shores IIRC

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, Max Headroom said:

...Glad to see the jacking point instructions are being followed! 😆

I guess if they break it they repair it?

I wonder if this airframe was converted back after the trials with ski's finished?

Howdy, all!

Found this interesting photo just now while searching for more Mk V photos to add to my reference library. Captioned as being a Mk IIc at Le Bourget- looks like maybe it was being used as a courier? Note the straight rails the canopy slides along. I also found a second photo of what I think might be the same aircraft; captioned as a 1697 ADLS aircraft used as a courier on D-Day 01. Invasion stripes and external tanks! Wish the serial and/or codes were given. A very neat modeling project- does anybody know what the seria/codes might have been? Just thought I would pass these t along.

Mike

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/Hawker-Hurricane/pages/Hurricane-IIc-RAF-1697ADLS-courier-aircraft-at-Le-Bourget-France-1944-IWM-BU1672.html

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/Hawker-Hurricane/pages/Hurricane-IIc-RAF-1697ADLS-courier-aircraft-used-during-D-day-01.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1