All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

31 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Ipiece about Cobber Kain which ran in Replic - both articles are excellent

Thanks Troy and Tim. Very helpful. It might make a nice set of decals. Could you please give me the issue numbers of Replic, which will save me a search!

36 minutes ago, silberpferd said:

The caption says that there was a white surround of that B roundel that had been covered with either Grey or Sky paint. The serial was over painted in white.

Laurent

I think what we're actually seeing is a standard Type A roundel suffering from some smoke damage (or something similar).  The port underwing roundel is a standard Type A and I can't imagine a scenario where an aircraft would have a Type A roundel under the port wing but a Type B under the starboard.  Note that the "grey" part of the roundel is the same shade as the wing underside.  Also note that the "white" outer ring has dark areas that could easily be the remains of the original blue colour.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Thanks Troy and Tim. Very helpful. It might make a nice set of decals. Could you please give me the issue numbers of Replic, which will save me a search!

Hi Ed,

It's in 2 issues, Replic numbers 101 and 102 (January and February 2000).

BTW sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet with the Kiwi and Aussie Few stuff but been tremendously busy with work!

Best,

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hello,

i m looking for some information about Bader's Hurricane LE D (V 7467)

As i start to build the new aifix kit, i would like to know if Bader's plane has :

-rotol or dehavilland propeller

-metal wing

-curved or pointed spinner

thanks !

4 minutes ago, tain² said:

As i start to build the new aifix kit, i would like to know if Bader's plane has :

-rotol or dehavilland propeller

-metal wing

-curved or pointed spinner

AFAIK,  Rotol, the blunt one, with broad at base blades.

metal wing.

word of caution, the propellers and spinners can be interchanged... 

some pics

RAF-Douglas-Bader-01.jpg

Bader-by-noseLG.jpg

I'm in the process of working up a correction sheet for the Airfix  Hurricane and have had a lot of help from several people especially @Troy Smith However now my google Fu has run out.

Has anybody got a diagram showing the cheese wire IFF aerial positions at each end?

Second question is about the Sea Hurricane Mk Ic. Some sources state many built and even list squadrons however others state that only a handful were built possibly only 2-3. Any ideas? It seems a lot for a Mk.I to lug around IMHO.

10 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I'm in the process of working up a correction sheet for the Airfix  Hurricane and have had a lot of help from several people especially @Troy Smith However now my google Fu has run out.

Has anybody got a diagram showing the cheese wire IFF aerial positions at each end?

Second question is about the Sea Hurricane Mk Ic. Some sources state many built and even list squadrons however others state that only a handful were built possibly only 2-3. Any ideas? It seems a lot for a Mk.I to lug around IMHO.

Do you mean the wires that ran from the tailplanes to about the fuselage roundels?

Chris

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Do you mean the wires that ran from the tailplanes to about the fuselage roundels?

Chris

That's the ones. For the Spitfire they entered in the roundel area. The Hurricane appears to be rather further back.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

ly @Troy SmithSh

1/2 built.  There have been several threads on this here. I'll edit links later on little tablet and too much fuss searching, need to sleep now.

It's hard to find worthwhile pictures of the IFF aerials. In the photo below, the fuselage connection is visible as a black dot between the roundel and the serial number.

48614555827_f320928924_b.jpg

I also found a few drawing but they are all about the same so I'll just post this one.

48614555842_39cda3c1c6_b.jpg

Both are from Monografie Lotnicze No. 53.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Several years ago in at least one discussion here on the IFF wires mention was made that with the rear fuselage of the Hurricane being fabric covered, the wires were internal since the fabric did not interfere with reception and external on Spitfires because the metal skinning did interfere. At least that’s what I remember...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

It's hard to find worthwhile pictures of the IFF aerials. In the photo below, the fuselage connection is visible as a black dot between the roundel and the serial number.

That's exactly what I needed Thank You so much. I agree about the photos, like so often happens plenty of shots closeby but not where you want.

@Troy Smith I'm happy to take your word for it. Single stage Merlin and two big, heavy cannon on each wing seems a bit silly when the Mk.II is in production.

@Chuck1945 you remember right. All the aerial run was external of the Spitfire's metal skin. The fabric and tube Hurricane ran it's aerial internally part of the way.

Thank You All.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, rob Lyttle said:

There's a couple of things I've noted already about this drawing that don't tally...

ca4103review_instr2

Ventral keel missing, aerial fitted, lettering close but not quite.

I'm struggling to work out what on the top view of the wing is nmf and what's silver dope.

Here's what I've got so far...

IMG_20181215_231325

Any evidence for or contrary, for G-AFKX, ?? 

The drawing has a 2box colour key, but they look the same, and so does the shading on all of the airframe.

For completeness, here is the underside...no radiator yet..

IMG_20181215_231352

Anybody know or think differently?

FYI G-AFKX had the civil reg. lettering on the underside of the wings for sure, and I assume also on the top of the wings. This is via photographs from David at AJJ which I cannot share unfortunately. She also had the older style windscreen. Some info here on this old thread if it's still relevant to anyone:

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/76357-hurricane-g-afkx-question?t=74537

cheers

greg v.

Quick question if I may, the forty or so mkiid's that went to the soviets in 1944. Some seem to have been completely repainted before shipping and some delivered with just the roundals painted out but I have been unable to find picture showing any aircraft with the stencils in place. Did the soviets paint the stencils out or leave them in place?

'KX was converted from an early Hurricane that had been returned to the factory and so will never have had the additional keel area under the tail.  It will initially have had the early pole aerial but what it carried whilst a test machine is perhaps open to question,  My suspicion is that it didn't change, so that the drawing above is incorrect in that detail, as it is in the nose area, but I'd need to dig out a photo to know for sure.

26 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

'KX was converted from an early Hurricane that had been returned to the factory and so will never have had the additional keel area under the tail.  It will initially have had the early pole aerial but what it carried whilst a test machine is perhaps open to question,  My suspicion is that it didn't change, so that the drawing above is incorrect in that detail, as it is in the nose area, but I'd need to dig out a photo to know for sure.

Picture here:

Key Publishing Aviation Forum - G-AFKX question

this shows G-AFKX did have a ventral strake when pictured. The picture of G-AFKX in aluminium shows no aerial, but other photos in the thread show it in camouflage with Langley Airfield defence. There, it has once more an aerial, that appears to be associated with a HF radio set, rather than the later VHF. Note the short aerial stub at the top of the rudder. 

Propeller is Rotol with a rounded spinner, possibly Spitfire type?

Edited by ClaudioN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neil5208 said:

Quick question if I may, the forty or so mkiid's that went to the soviets in 1944. Some seem to have been completely repainted before shipping and some delivered with just the roundals painted out but I have been unable to find picture showing any aircraft with the stencils in place. Did the soviets paint the stencils out or leave them in place?

I know of TWO photos of VVS IID's

21 crashed,

beolvass0002.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h257/vadasz/beolvass0002.jpg 

showing as bluured for me, maybe not for you (Photobuckts new trick about bandwidth use)

and one on test at the NII VVS (test centre) if you know of more, let us know. (there are shots where you can read the serial,  KX305? ) 

22-1.jpg

lend lease types supplied to the Soviets has the roundels overpainted BEFORE delivery with RAF paint in most cases and red stars applied by the British (there are exceptions)  stencilling as applied at factory. 

you can tell British stars as they are in the roundel positions. VVS Standard was fin, fuselage, underwing. 

see for more

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1500.0

has more links and info

HTH

• Like 1

13 hours ago, neil5208 said:

Thanks

HI Neil

as it's not late at night. a bit more digging finds the site I though was gone has just changed address

http://alternathistory.com/ispytano-v-sssr-istrebitel-shturmovik-hawker-hurricane-iid/

has some more photos, some are very interesting for details...

memory said the serial was KX171.... but could not see if on the pic, though a  performance table further down the page lists KX305, so that makes photos of 3 then.  

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-07-680x5

also has KX248 "21"

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-05-680x268.

the low contrast on the uppers surface of KX305 inclines me to think this is a reasonable profile, as later trop aircraft were all built in DFS, and had the Ocean Grey overpainted with Dark Earth.... though being taken on snow, with the reflected light,  this might well mess with the apparent tones...

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-23-680x1

the non black spinner is odd, but does not appear black in the pics

There are some other details in the photos in the link that deserve a separate thread.

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

HI Neil

as it's not late at night. a bit more digging finds the site I though was gone has just changed address

http://alternathistory.com/ispytano-v-sssr-istrebitel-shturmovik-hawker-hurricane-iid/

has some more photos, some are very interesting for details...

memory said the serial was KX171.... but could not see if on the pic, though a  performance table further down the page lists KX305, so that makes photos of 3 then.  

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-07-680x5

also has KX248 "21"

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-05-680x268.

the low contrast on the uppers surface of KX305 inclines me to think this is a reasonable profile, as later trop aircraft were all built in DFS, and had the Ocean Grey overpainted with Dark Earth.... though being taken on snow, with the reflected light,  this might well mess with the apparent tones...

ispytano_v_sssr_hurricaneIID-02-23-680x1

the non black spinner is odd, but does not appear black in the pics

There are some other details in the photos in the link that deserve a separate thread.

The AML decals sheet has green/ocean gray with grey spinner, so this is how I have painted it. Mine could be as "straight of the boat" before any local changes

nice reference page

Edited by neil5208

15 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

The AML decals sheet has green/ocean gray with grey spinner, so this is how I have painted it. Mine could be as "straight of the boat" before any local changes

Hi Neil

Since you can't see the spinner on KX248 it could be, though Sky or Black are far more likely.   

Regarding local changes,  well, from the photographic record, which is not  massive, the VVS did not make changes to the supplied base camouflage schemes of Lend Lease types during the war,  unless the aircraft had major repairs.  

may got repainted post war though.

I've seen A LOT of really bad profiles of Lend Lease types in VVS service, the commonest one is the overpainted roundels...  hence my sig line....

One interesting thing is more photos keep turning up on Russian sites,  so hopefully some more Hurricane shots will surface.  

second, you can reply but no need to quote all my response (or edit it out) it creates thread clutter doing unnecessary  quotes. 

cheers

T

• Like 1