All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

4 hours ago, ClaudioN said:

if you open the image in a new tab, and look at the name in address bar,  then change  "mid"(size of pic) to "large" you get this

large_000000.jpg

the large square on the wing of the Hurricane to the right is unusual.

HTH

T

• Like 2

On 5/22/2018 at 3:47 PM, dogsbody said:

Here are a couple of CCF-built Hurricane cockpits.

a064224-v8.jpg

a064354-v8.jpg

Chris

Note that these two pits are quite different. The top one looks to be for a Hurricane destined for British service whereas the bottom one has North American instruments. Note in particular the British turn and bank indicator in the upper photo vs. the one in the bottom pic with the slip indicator. Also differences in the airspeed and altimeters. I would expect 5584 to look more like the lower photo.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Eduard zoom PE set for the 1/72 Revell Hurricane mk iic and am looking for a bit of guidance in the folding procedure for the rudder pedals please.

Wondering if anyone who has done this kit has used this particular PE set and can help? As usual the instructions simply show what the completed part should

look like. Rest of the parts seem pretty intuitive but the pedals seem to me to be delving into the realms of origami! My brain simply can’t resolve the steps. Part is still on the fret and didn’t want to guess and end up with a horrible mess. Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

21 hours ago, NoGoodBoyo said:

I have the Eduard zoom PE set for the 1/72 Revell Hurricane mk iic and am looking for a bit of guidance in the folding procedure for the rudder pedals please.

Wondering if anyone who has done this kit has used this particular PE set and can help? As usual the instructions simply show what the completed part should

look like. Rest of the parts seem pretty intuitive but the pedals seem to me to be delving into the realms of origami! My brain simply can’t resolve the steps. Part is still on the fret and didn’t want to guess and end up with a horrible mess. Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

This isn't the proper place for this question. You should post it in the Aircraft Modelling section or perhaps the Modelling section. This section is for questions on real historic Hurricanes, not modelling Q & A.

Chris

• Sad 2

On 22/06/2018 at 23:28, NoGoodBoyo said:

Many thanks!

Look at the instructions VERY carefully.

Note the two tiny holes, these are at the top of the sides,  the sides then need to be bent back 90 degrees each, and then mounted on plastic rod.

But, unless the canopy is open, you won't really see them....   

HTH

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoGoodBoyo said:

Thanks. Sorry for bothering you. 🙄

Not a bother at all. I was just trying to direct you to where you might have a better chance of getting your question answered.

Chris

Hi all......despite all the bibliography I've been able to check, can't figure the main differences amongst the various Mk.II types of wings....

IIA, IIB, IIC, IID.......is there any scheme, scale plan, drawing, etc... showing the differences, in terms of armament and panel lines, acces hatches layout...????

I've checked some books, but I'm into a muddle with that.......

TIA and best regards

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Artie said:

Hi all......despite all the bibliography I've been able to check, can't figure the main differences amongst the various Mk.II types of wings....

IIA, IIB, IIC, IID.......is there any scheme, scale plan, drawing, etc... showing the differences, in terms of armament and panel lines, acces hatches layout...????

I've checked some books, but I'm into a muddle with that.......

TIA and best regards

All in one place, AFAIK, no.  Not accurately at least.

The fabric wing has the 8 gun layout, but different access panel shape

750471.jpg

here's the fabric and metal

xRzfB91J.jpg

note there are may differences between the fabric and metal wing, note the 5 ejector slots on the fabric wing

sh17.jpg&key=cd1a4c9127e4d0faa1bd9c9fe72

from

there are two basic forms, the A 8 gun wing, which was modified to become the B wing with outer gun bays

here's the B wing, clearly showing the outer gun bays

608abab946cd0aaab27281046e12a582--cienfu

when bomb racks were fitted, they covered over the one ejector slot, and a inner gun was not fitted

hurricaneIIB_hurri_bomber1.jpg

as also seen here,  note two outer ejector slots in roundel

55a71a50d78ca49f6ff54084ca221c3c.jpg

The C wing forms the basis for the D and Mk.IV wing.

hurri2d.jpg&key=f8695e00c46acee9fc2ee61d

good underside shot, 

718fa5500354da58247d9115e8c815af--hawker

IIc with cannons out

large.jpg?action=e%26cat=photographs&key

the two rear hatch for adjusting the cannon sighting are visible here as well.

I'm not totally sure the IID is right,

I've not found a shot of the upper wing of a IID, but here one with the cannon faring removed

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRId8jnSUXkWlJluRQphsQ

the old PSL book on the Hurricane has this for the IID

HurricaneIIdwingpanels1-24th.jpg&key=2fe

see 

it could be like the Mk.IV 

36332251186_1d6d552ff8_o.jpg&key=1b5e9eb

note the blanked out landing light port next to yellow stripe, the 0.303 sighting gun port, and the blanked over inner port, which seems to show that the IV wing was based on a modified IIC wing.

The thing on the wing leading edge next to the joining strip is a camera gun port.

36240601171_58ab2094e7_o.jpg&key=74bed56

very useful underside detail, note metal plate, stubs for attaching 40 mm gun, and ejector slot for the 0.303 Browning sighting gun.

Of note is the metal strip just by the shell ejector slot, in what looks like the same position as the one on the upper wing.

Muzej_08.JPG&key=4be41ef88996f6964529205

from

I've not covered Soviet modifications

see here for those

http://z15.invisionfree.com/sovietwarplanes/index.php?showtopic=26

HTH

• Like 4

Thank you very much for such an useful information, Troy.......

I've been toying with the idea of building a Soviet subject, but not sure about it being a common Mk.IIB, or a modified one.....

The Mk.IID wings in the pics are excellent, I've got one of those antitank Hurricanes in my list......

Thanks a lot,

Cheers...!!

47 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Mk.IV wing is covered in the Hurricane Mk.II Manual, an Arm's&Armour reprint of original manuals.

it is, but not very well, or clearly, IIRC it has refence to the IID/Early IV wing,  and does not give much detail on the panelling, or differences between early and late Mk.IV wing.

The shots of the Belgrade Mk.IV show far more detail. 

On 22/06/2018 at 18:28, NoGoodBoyo said:

Many thanks!

Does this help?

100_1233

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

now that you guys have persuaded me that Park's Malta OK 2 is a IIb, i have one more question about that ship (for now)... 

i'm fairly convinced it isn't a Trop and has neither Vokes nor Aboukir, but none of the photos I've seen show anything conclusive on this matter. Google found me models with no filter, but not the actual ship. 

On 6/23/2018 at 11:37 PM, Troy Smith said:

Look at the instructions VERY carefully.

Note the two tiny holes, these are at the top of the sides,  the sides then need to be bent back 90 degrees each, and then mounted on plastic rod.

But, unless the canopy is open, you won't really see them....   

HTH

T

On 6/23/2018 at 11:48 PM, dogsbody said:

Not a bother at all. I was just trying to direct you to where you might have a better chance of getting your question answered.

Chris

20 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Does this help?

100_1233

Cheers,

Bill

Guys’, many thanks for all your help. All folded and installed. 

I´d like to build 32 sqn Hurricane because of Czech pilots who served in this squadron in 41-42.  They flew anti-shipping missions as well, I know at least about actions in May, June 42, Z3088, HL605, HL655, HL658 were flown, and all should be the IIC.  I´ve got a book about Czechs in RAF (from J.Rajlich), there is even a colour profile of the HL605, but I am very suspicious about it.  It is presented as all black a/c, with red codes and C1 type roundels, more corresponding to night intruder operations performed by 32sqn later, in summer 42. But even for that camo, I could not find any evidence, photos.

I appreciate help to find any photos (if existing?) of 32 sqn from anti-shipping ops? I have found many photos, but all of them are the Hurricane I, mostly from BoB period. 

In much the same period 174 Sq were flying Hurribombers but also fitted in some night intruder missions, so it is quite likely that 32 were doing the same.  However I've not seen any photos of their aircraft in overall Night.

22 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

In much the same period 174 Sq were flying Hurribombers but also fitted in some night intruder missions, so it is quite likely that 32 were doing the same.  However I've not seen any photos of their aircraft in overall Night.

Thanks for responding..  Then 174 sqn Hurricane used DFS camo.

The actions mentioned above were dated as on May 3/4 and on June 26 ( reported as....before daybreak), like night ops ..  Was anti-shipping part of night intruding?....I have to find out more about this kind of operation.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:22 PM, Troy Smith said:

when bomb racks were fitted, they covered over the one ejector slot, and a inner gun was not fitted

hurricaneIIB_hurri_bomber1.jpg

as also seen here,  note two outer ejector slots in roundel

55a71a50d78ca49f6ff54084ca221c3c.jpg

Is that a case ejection slot actually built in to the bomb rack on the second image there?

Just above the fins of the port side bomb, forward of the tail ring. There is a suspicious (to my eye) looking slot which appears longer and slightly narrower than the case ejection slots in the wing.

Any ideas as to its purpose? Was an inboard gun always deleted when bomb racks were installed?

Best in mind that the fairing is not empty, it is an aerodynamic shape covering the lower part of a standard RAF bomb carrier.   Fitting in a shell chute would seem to be excessively ambitious.  Above that, however, the upper body of the carrier fits into the machine gun bay so there simply isn't room for both.

Engineering aside, had it been possible to carry a full set of guns, why would they ever be removed?

• Thanks 2

Oh, I'm not wedded to the interpretation that it is a case ejection slot. It is just that its position, size and shape seemed rather suggestive.

Curious, I wonder what it is for?

Inspection window? Tool access? Void to prevent the bomb fins rubbing against the pylon? Hm.

Hello fellow forum members,

I intend to convert a Fly 1/32 Hawker Hurricane Mk Ia kit into an earlier model with fabric covered wings.

The "technical definition" I'm targeting could be summarized as follows:

- fabric covered wings (with all associated modifications - different gun covers, ejector ports, relocated landing lights);

- fuselage with anti-spin streak under the tail (as provided in the kit);

- deHavilland 3 blade propeller (the one from the kit or a resin replacement one - any suggestions?);

- 5 spoke wheels;

- late type windscreen with the additional framing (I would have liked an early windscreen, but wasn't able to find a suitable one - any suggestions?);

- reflex type gun sight (not the early "ring and bead type). 

As my knowledge on the topic is limited, my first question is if the definition above would mach an existing airframe. If answer is positive, what would be the right color scheme/ registration (I'm targeting a RAF machine).

Thank you for your support and suggestions.

Regards,   

Also, once you have decided on a specific early Hurricane check the antenna mast to see if it is the earlier 'pole' type or the later 'streamlined' type.

If you wish, and once you have decided on a specific RAF machine and if it would be of help, feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected] as I have an extensive Hurricane archive which may be of use to you.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1