All the Hurricane questions you want to ask here

Sean_M

22 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Undersides are Night/White/Silver . (Ignore the disparity on the Dark Green on the wing - I have a plan.......)

Now then, does it have the painting stencil marks as per RAF (i.e. The W/T) applied as they were overhauled in the U.K. before delivery?

This pic is inconclusive (as are others)....

89ed05736bde1ebcfc40b4858d11d158.jpg

Also, the Night/White the demarcation went through the ventral radiator. Did anyone go to the bother of masking the inside of the radiator?

Trevor

radiator of surviving Finnish Hurricane

011102.jpg

from http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1295/

013462.jpg

from http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/referenssi_1536/

From this I'd suggest B/W at the rear section, and aluminium dope in the front.

the rudder is in original paint,note W/T stencil,  I can't see any reason the stencilling would have been repainted,or painted out either.

011087.jpg

also worth a read

Here is the serial list and original HU serial number:

L2048 - HU450

N2322 - HU451

N2323 - HU452

N2324 - HU453

N2327 - HU454

N2347 - HU455

N2348 - HU456

N2358 - HU457

N2392 - HU458

N2393 - HU459

N2394 - HU460

N2395 - HU461.

some detail points Trevor

the Finnish (and Romanian) plane have the De Havilland Spitfire type prop/spinner.

this was the DH type in the original Airfix 1/48th kit, bit not the new tool.(which you model looks to be)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

you also need some 5 spoke wheels, though you can use the 5 spoke hubs from an Eduard Spitfire (ALL boxings have 3 types, so there are loads about)

I assume they will fit the new tool tyres,  (these are a bit too big though.)

Early Hurricanes lack the rectangular starboard access panel,though maybe too latefor that detail.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith
add details and corrections
  • Like 2

Thanks Troy, excellent info as always. I'll festoon it with the W/T stencil then!

As for the spinner, my Spitfire one is erm....going on my Spitfire (57 OTU Hawarden) so if you don't tell anyone.......

Trevor

EDIT

was going to do HU-456 but given it appears to have a fabric wing until 1943 (when I quess it was repainted) I'll have to do another one :unamused:

Are you sure there is a main spar in there? It looks like built up space frame construction to me, but I gotta say I'm no Hurricane expert!

If you rule out the wheel wells, fuel tanks, oil tank etc, where would it fit?

Ref. my hurricane project, nmf options, I'm pressing on. Looks like the Rhodesian airframe is my best option, and I have successfully and slightly regretfully, removed the standard nose sump-plate and fitted the Volkes filter 

I may grow to like it....?

IMG_20170530_233659

IMG_20170530_233724

That filter is gonna be a pain to get foiled - I just know by looking at it 

The sheer webs of the spars effectively form the front and rear walls of the wheel well with the tubular booms top and bottom.  The outer arms of the well which accommodate the upper parts of the legs were sheeted in to reduce the ingress of grot to areas of the wing structure where it's removal could be problematical or impossible.

Sorry , I called it the spar and its caused confusion. It is the center section (Hexagonal)tube that the fuselage tube connecting bracket sits on as shown it the pictures below

19_zps0vvxvn9o.jpg

hurri%209_zps3nl3ijil.jpg

A question I have just answered for myself but which may be of passing interest.

I had been idly wondering why P3717 (newly resident at Old Warden) is a Hurri II, because the serial is clearly too early. Turns out the thing I had not known is that Hawkers had done factory rebuilds from I to II spec, and did so to P3717, built as a B of B Mark I, after she was badly damaged in combat.
https://www.flyinglegends.com/aircraft/hawker-hurricane-mk-ii-g-hitt.html

On 2017-5-31 at 12:00, Gomtuu said:

Sorry , I called it the spar and its caused confusion. It is the center section (Hexagonal)tube that the fuselage tube connecting bracket sits on as shown it the pictures below

Have you tried emaling Hawker Restorations?   They  had to have this specially made, (in Germany!)  and this is one reason they are set up to do all the restorations from what is  basically scrap.

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

It went from conversion direct to Russia so UK serialling became an academic point

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Not that academic.  It will still have been carried on the airframe for delivery and retained as such in Soviet service.

I can't  find the still I posted of Hurricane, bort 71, DR356, which was a rebuilt Mk.I,  the new serials were mostly? 

"Does anyone here know if all the DRxxx series, DR339-DR394, were rebuilt MkI's as IIA for Russia?"

the youtube link

At 5.30-5.32 you see DR356

Hope of some interest.

t

If you pick up a copy of "Hurricane Survivors" you'll see that some Hurricanes were converted to MkII before being sent to Russia. When they're restored they're restored as MkII's but with their original MkI serial number.

This makes sense to me, if you're paying so much for a Hurricane, you get to choose whether it's restored with its MkI or MkII serial number.

Did some more checking,  and  was depressed to  find out what I'd forgotten, DR536 was flown by an early  Soviet Hurricane ace,  Sn Lt Sgibnev 

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=1441.0

Second group of Sgibnev's photos was taken on June 13, 1942 when Sgibnev scored his 12th victory - the plane is probably the same as above 
0_1c594_30140c1f_L.jpg
0_1c590_a57032e_L.jpg

ScreengrabsHurricanebort71DR356.jpg

It's an interesting thread, especially KL observations on curved and flat fishtail exhaust

Two "fishtail" exhaust types:

1. Curved fishtail exhausts
i_068.jpg

2. Straight fishtail exhausts 
sgibnev10.jpg

which I'd not followed up....

https://www.facebook.com/hawkerrestorations/posts/842508105896229:0

It looks like V7497/G-HRLI has a self sealing tank in the fuselage but none in the wings.

My guess is that this correctly represents the introduction of self sealing tanks in 1940?

Interesting that the Hawkers conversions were given new serials.  None of the RCAF Mk. I or Sea Hurricanes that were rebuilt as XIIAs were reserialed after conversion.  And it appears that if any of the CCF Mk. Is were converted into Mk. IIs in the UK, they retained their original serials.

Jim

...at a whopping 28 pages - please forgive if this info is already here - CAN I ASK A QUESTION...

What colour should the tail light on my Hurricane MKI be and also what colour should the light on the underside be???

Thanks in advance :D 

...whilst I am 'at it' - what colour should my pitot be - black / sky / silver :unsure: I really don't know why I'm asking - they are always the first thing I break when I have completed my latest masterpiece :lol:

The pitot mast will be the same colour as the undersurface, so that rather depends upon your subject.  I don't think that the tail light was coloured: at least, it has never been a concern when I painted a model (which may not be a recommendation) nor do I recall the subject coming up before..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The pitot mast will be the same colour as the undersurface, so that rather depends upon your subject.  I don't think that the tail light was coloured: at least, it has never been a concern when I painted a model (which may not be a recommendation) nor do I recall the subject coming up before..

Thanks for that Graham...

So pitot = sky - tail light = silver to represent clear - any idea on the colour of the underside light???

I can't think of any helpful pictures of the pitot, but the hole and its surroundings have to be kept scrupulously clean so I suspect they will have been blanked off for any painting, and so logically there may be a bare metal ring around the hole.  If it is a pitot-static rather than just a pitot then the clean bare metal will extend back aft of the static holes, and this is often what you see on later types.

• Like 1

Hi Graham - you misunderstand - there is a light in the belly of the fuselage - I am trying to find out if it was coloured or silver to represent clear...