1/72 MPM Fokker G-1A with Dutch Decals Neutrality Markings

I finished this yesterday, I have been wanting to build one of these for an age but scarcity means that they don't come up for sale often and when they do they tend to be a bit pricey (especially if you add the expense of the Dutch Decals Neutrality Markings - the orange triangles - which do not come with the kit).

The model represents no.328 flown in May 1940 by Sgt. H Soufree with his gunner Sgt. de Man of 3 Ja.V.A in which he claimed an He 111 and a Bf 109 in the fighting over the Netherlands.

DSCN1136.jpg

DSCN1139.jpg

DSCN1140.jpg

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN1143.jpg

DSCN1135.jpg

I added some Airfix pilots as crew and a pitot tube from the spares box, and I replaced the protruding nose gun barrels with resin ones as those provided were a bit chunky, apart from that it is I think oob. As always I could have done it better if I had paid more attention and had more patience but I didn't and I haven't and for a limited-run kit it was pretty forgiving and I have at least, at last, built one.

Decals as mentioned were from the Dutch Decals set DDS9072, paints were Humbrol 64 Light Grey for the interior, 168 Beige, 180 Red-brown and 244 Dark Green for the camouflage scheme.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 14

Really great job Stew

Can I ask what the colours are as I have the Frog Fokker that is likely to need the same paints, I doubt it will turn out as good as yours however.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Thats really nice Stew,

A nice rare subject, nice camo and markings and beautifully built and painted,....what more could you ask for,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

PC, thank you kindly mate :D I hope you weren't staying up just to see that :lol:

AD210, thanks; there weren't very many made and most of those that were got caught on the ground in the early hours of 10 May 1940, so the 'Reaper' never really got much chance to shine -_-

Pat, thank you, I can't remember who recommended them but the colours were Humbrol 180 Red-brown, 168 Beige and 244 Dark Green. All I had to judge these against were photographs of the replica G-1 built and on display at the Dutch Air Force Museum in Soesterberg but the colours looked a pretty good match on-screen. If you prefer the IPMS Stockholm recommendations are here though some of the paints may not be available any more:

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/06/stuff_eng_dutch_af_colours_01.htm

Tony, thank you very much :D as usual it suffered a bit from me rushing toward the end but I mostly got away with it :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

Very nice Stew, good to see something off beat for a change. You've done a great job with the kit,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks Sean, it was a nice kit to build, bit of a struggle to fit the interior into the 'pod' but apart from that it all seemed fairly straightforward :)

Thanks Dennis, sadly I think there is always going to be a shortage of mainstream kits of some of the early war foreign aircraft - Heller do some nice kits of some of the French aircraft though the kits are getting a bit long in the tooth but some of them still build nicely and look good when done, if only Heller could find the French equivalent of Hornby to invest in some new mould kits as Hornby have done with Airfix (who are on a bit of a roll with their early-war RAF kits). Still, the short-run moulding technology is much improved and still improving so the likes of MPM, AZ, Azur etc. should find a profitable gap where the bigger manufacturers won't go producing some of the more 'exotic' types :)

Steve, thanks mate, would you believe I brush-painted the windows because I couldn't be bothered to mask them all :doh: talk about making a rod for your own back :lol:

Thanks Bunny, it's a nice looking aeroplane and the camouflage scheme is attractive, I think it was one of the things that drew me to it in the first place :)

Thanks Cookie, though you give me too much credit, a bit of scrabbling around on the internet and the ancient Profile Publications booklet were what I might laughingly describe as my 'research' and planning and preparation are not concepts with which I have more than a passing acquaintance :lol:

Thanks for your interest gents :)

Cheers,

Stew

Stew mate.

really interesting aircraft ........a subject i had no knowledge of at all......and extremely well built and finished.

Congrats.

Do you have any connection to the subject or simply it looked interesting and would offer a point of interest in the collection???

Edited by Winenut
  • Like 1

Hi Snitok,

I don't know really, the undersides may have been painted that colour to advertise the LVA's (Dutch Air Force's) neutrality (like the orange triangle markings) or it could have been for easy recognition - RAF fighters at that time were painted one side black and one side white underneath for easy identification :blink: ...but I'm guessing, to be honest, I've never really seen much discussion or books about the LVA's camouflage.

Winenut, thank you very much :) I don't have any connection to the aircraft, but I first saw pictures of them in one of my Dad's books when I was a kid and I found them fascinating, like a big, sort of clumsy-looking forerunner to the P38 B) I've been after one of the MPM kits for ages and it cost me, but it was a present for my inner child :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, the little rounded corners to all those little windows put me off masking it, in fact it looks better in the pictures than if you were to look at it from six inches away and see all the wobbly bits :lol:

Thanks Karl, sadly it is not an easily available kit but I am hopeful in time someone will bring out a new model as it is quite an impressive looking aircraft. The MPM kit was very nice but it was produced in the mid-1990s and I am sure that with modern technology an even more impressive kit would be possible :)

Cheers,

Stew

• 1 month later...

Stew,

What a great looking model you have made of a very interesting plane!

Well done on finishing it.

Here is a picture or two of my 1/144 scale 'wargamer' model I make out of resin:

Hmm. can't post link or image (stupid ctrl V doesn't work and link and pic tags neither)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x800q90/661/P95Dvz.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x800q90/538/p68SYh.jpg

Edited by pbhawkin