++completed++ 1/48 Cavalier Turbo III Mustang - Heritage Models Conv

trickyrich

Ok first one off the blocks....

This was a very late decision for me and not what was originally planned.

But Ii just loved the look of it and it was quite different...my kind of build!

The base model will be a 1/48 Tamiya P-51D like the picture of the box below.........hmm the actual model hasn’t arrived yet! :pray:

48p51boxart_zpse611d3d0.jpg

The conversion is 1/48 Heritage Models Cavalier Turbo Mustang III kit which looks to be a nice conversion, accuracy...will have to look at some drawings!

Just have to chop the nose and under radiator off glue in the resiny bits and thats it.....simple! :whistle:

DSCF1270_zps160de6b8.jpg

White metally bits

DSCF1271_zps987580e2.jpg

Some clear and resiny bits

DSCF1272_zps1b01f2ae.jpg

Hmm I wonder what colour scheme I’ll choose??? :hmmm: Decals..........just two!

DSCF1273_zps9505a120.jpg

Hopefully this will be a nice simple and quick build.....may even get the A-36 out!

• Like 3

Hooray, thanks for breaking the ice. I was tempted to be first, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet! Maybe what I ought to do is a group build group build, and start several I've had in mind, and see what settles out... (don't tell anyone, but the real question is whether I'll actually finish SOMETHING)

Captain Ginger-nutt

Hooray, thanks for breaking the ice. I was tempted to be first, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet! Maybe what I ought to do is a group build group build, and start several I've had in mind, and see what settles out... (don't tell anyone, but the real question is whether I'll actually finish SOMETHING)

Captain Ginger-nutt

As I said this was a very last minute choice, so much so the donor model hasn't arrived yet from Hong Kong!!

Watching with interest. Always wanted to build one of these since I was a kid...

Is this conversion still available???

Yeap it still is, only got mine a week ago! Heritage Models conversion kits are still available for the Cavalier Mustang II 1/72 & 1/48 and this one. I've attached the link for you, a bit expensive but they are the only conversion kits around I know of, unless you want to scratch build a 1/24 version! Have a copy of the build, it's quite old and from the Airfix forums.

http://www.kitsforcash.com/148-conversions-12-c.asp

• Like 1

You're a braver man than me Rich! :) I have that conversion too, and unless it's been upgraded, it's a bit agricultural :unsure:

Just have to chop the nose and under radiator off glue in the resiny bits and thats it.....simple! :whistle:

DSCF1270_zps160de6b8.jpg

Sounds easy when you put it that way :)

I'd love one of these or an Enforcer set in 1/72, the Turbo Mustangs looked mean.

I've got the 1/72 set of this, the resin looks OK, leastwise the front fuselage part of it, the cockpit is a bit basic. Pretty sure mine didn't come with a camo diagram like that, that must be a new departure or maybe only in the larger scale sets.:( I might have to ask HA if I can have a copy of that.

Steve.

I've got the 1/72 set of this, the resin looks OK, leastwise the front fuselage part of it, the cockpit is a bit basic. Pretty sure mine didn't come with a camo diagram like that, that must be a new departure or maybe only in the larger scale sets. :( I might have to ask HA if I can have a copy of that.

Steve.

Can scan and send you a copy if youd like?

well am sort of back to this....well actually starting it!!!

Still haven't gotten the donor kit yet!!!! :angry:

So in the mean time I started cleaning bits and pieces up...that took all of an hour!

DSCF1754_zps557e3b82.jpg

The resin moulding is actually quite good with only a couple of areas that need work, as in filling, which is a nice change with resin.

DSCF1753_zpsc836745f.jpg

DSCF1752_zps12037e24.jpg

The white metal bits did require so additional work due to poor moulding on a couple of the pylons. The prop blades cleaned up quite nicely and do look really good in their natural polished metal state. Only some very minor flaws which cause they so small I may leave the props in their natural colour and just paint the black leading edge gloves, seeing the blades were unpainted.

DSCF1755_zps8d7260cf.jpg

DSCF1756_zpsaec0741f.jpg

Not much else left to mention.......at this rate I may have to bring out the RB-51.....watch the thread space!! :wicked:

• Like 1

Can scan and send you a copy if youd like?

well am sort of back to this....well actually starting it!!!

Still haven't gotten the donor kit yet!!!! :angry:

So in the mean time I started cleaning bits and pieces up...that took all of an hour!

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/trickyrich62/Heritage%20Models%20Cavalier%20Turbo%20III%20Mustang/DSCF1754_zps557e3b82.jp

The resin moulding is actually quite good with only a couple of areas that need work, as in filling, which is a nice change with resin.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/trickyrich62/Heritage%20Models%20Cavalier%20Turbo%20III%20Mustang/DSCF1753_zpsc836745f.jp

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/trickyrich62/Heritage%20Models%20Cavalier%20Turbo%20III%20Mustang/DSCF1752_zps12037e24.jpg

The white metal bits did require so additional work due to poor moulding on a couple of the pylons. The prop blades cleaned up quite nicely and do look really good in their natural polished metal state. Only some very minor flaws which cause they so small I may leave the props in their natural colour and just paint the black leading edge gloves, seeing the blades were unpainted.

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/trickyrich62/Heritage%20Models%20Cavalier%20Turbo%20III%20Mustang/DSCF1755_zps8d7260cf.jpg

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q722/trickyrich62/Heritage%20Models%20Cavalier%20Turbo%20III%20Mustang/DSCF1756_zpsaec0741f.j

Not much else left to mention.......at this rate I may have to bring out the RB-51.....watch the thread space!! :wicked:

/url]

Thanks for the heads up on the blade colour.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but what the hell is that other project?!

not much at all, the front is pretty much the same with a new seat, the rear has the front seat and the new instrument panel and thats about all I know. Will have to go through all my books to see if I can find out some more.

Yeah, I think you should do that, then I can look over your shoulder & see what you come up with. :D

Thanks for the scan Rich, duly printed & tucked away in the box with the rest of the bits, trying hard not to bury it too deep.:)

Steve.

ok the donor model has finally arrived :yahoo: ................ and I'm stuck into the RB-51!! :doh:

Not to worry there will be plenty of time to work on this beasty.

Have stripped most of the un-required parts out and now have a box of all the essential bits.

DSCF1779_zpsfe16320c.jpg

The nose looks to be an easy mod, but the removal of the lower radiator fairing will be fun as there are no panel lines to follow! Will chop all the bits off before I join the fuselage together....might be easier? :whistle:

DSCF1777_zpsa863fcbd.jpg

Still haven’t managed to find any good photos of the cockpit area, seeing as the original aircraft was a P-51D I may leave the cockpit pretty much standard....unless someone has pics or details.

DSCF1778_zps3b9d246b.jpg

Wings just have tip tanks added and gun removed...though I'm not 100% sure what was done with the paneling, will have to look for more photos!

May do some chopping and initial work on the cockpit on the weekend......with luck!

• Like 1

well the major surgery was performed and wasn't the easiest!!!

The nose come off quite easily and won't be too much trouble with the fit of the new one.......the radiator scoop was another matter! The details of where and how much to remove were a bit sketchy and it took three goes before I got the right (?) amount removed, much safer doing little bits at a time.

DSCF1781_zps8a472d72.jpg

The leftover bit may end up in a RR Merlin powered FW-190! :hmmm:

The cockpit was cut up as well, it's looks a bit bare, so I have spent sometime adding a few details. Have actually done a bit more since this photo was taken.

DSCF1780_zps90d2f0b6.jpg

Just add a wee bit of tape and some blutack.....

DSCF1783_zps9415c9de.jpg

Starting to look the part.

DSCF1785_zpsc982789e.jpg

Have now started painting the interior and need to get that finished before I can progress any further as the floor of the rear cockpit is part of the scoop replacement.

Hopefully should have it closed up by next update.

• Like 4

I am liking this one.

But my Cavalier I want to do has the tip tanks and taller fin so those are the only real mods I need do. And perhaps a 2nd seat in the back but still haven't come up with pics anywhere on the web.Even by asking those websites has come up no replies!!

I am liking this one.

But my Cavalier I want to do has the tip tanks and taller fin so those are the only real mods I need do. And perhaps a 2nd seat in the back but still haven't come up with pics anywhere on the web.Even by asking those websites has come up no replies!!

If you do come up with any photos let me know........as my rear cockpit is pretty much guess work!!!

Ok go quite a bit more done since last update. The replacement section for the lower scoop required the most work to get right before fitting...and even once fitted still needs lots of work!!

I finished the detailing for the cockpit, but forgot to take a photo on the finished product, this is one at the halfway stage. In the end all the work was for nothing as you can’t see it! The rear cockpit is the area with little to no photos of it, so I had to guess and used some Eduard PE bits to make it look like a work area.....on the whole it doesn’t look to bad at all.

DSCF1786_zps8265ab87.jpg

DSCF1787_zps81c18c22.jpg

The wings are pretty much finished with the six pylons fitted....got some stores on the way for them.......there are photos showing Mini-guns and rocket pods fitted....so I’m fitting some!

DSCF1788_zpsa1a9917a.jpg

DSCF1789_zpsd44f2ea7.jpg

The wings sort of fit ok, though I needed to add a little bit of packing to get them to sit correctly. The underside fit of the radiator plug to fuselage/wing is very poor and will take quite a bit of work! I may have to remove/grind out the wilng fillets and rebuild from scratch to fix........not real keen on that idea!

DSCF1790_zps6f195805.jpg

Once I get that joint sorted out then I’m in the home stretch.....am really happy with the look of the beast and can’t wait to see it finished. Gosh at this rate I may even get time to bring out the A-36!!!

• Like 3