835 NAS Sea Hurricane NF 672 Nicki Decals question

Justin H

I'm currently building the Italeri Sea Hurricane in 48 scale, and plan to do it as Nicki, one of 835 NAS White Sea Hurricanes.

Is anyone familiar with the Aeromaster Sea Hurricanes at War II decal sheet? I bought one in preparation for the build.

The reference pictures I've seen of Nicki clearly show the red shield on the starboard cockpit access panel but it seems to be missing from the decal sheet

Is this a known omission, or are there other reference pics of Nicki without the shield?

If not, does anyone know where I might find a decal for the shield? My skills wouldn't be up to painting it....!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Justin H

Hi Justin

well, unless Italeri have released a 1/48th Sea Hurricane IIC then you can't.

The Italeri Sea Hurricane is a mk I. shorter nose, different armament.

If this not something you are aware of, please read this thread page 2, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/64364-hurricane-noses-and-the-hasegawa-172-kits/page-2

as it has photos and drawings of the nose.

the gun bays have totally different doors, not just case of adding cannons.

as there are 1/48th Hurricane IIC's, you convert one of those, Hasegawa even did this a as specific boxing

You can certainly convert the Italeri IIc kit to a Sea Hurricane, basically you need to add the hook/underpanel from the Mk I sea Hurricane, and build that as a standard mk I.

But for the money you might well be better off getting a hase IIC and converting it.

If you are prone to accuracy obsession don't read my comments at the end of this

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935596-sea-hurricane-148-italeri/

The italeri kit is full of silly errors....

thread on Nicki http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3774-sea-hurricane-nicki/

The decals sheet has the shield, decals 20A and 20B

AeroMaster_48-193_Decal.jpg

The reference pictures I've seen of Nicki clearly show the red shield on the starboard cockpit access panel but it seems to be missing from the decal sheet

NOT an access panel, but break out panel for emergency escape, could be removed for servicing, but photos of this are rare.

This is why there are foot and handhold on the other [port] side.

HTH

T

PS

I've seen profile showing a red curving stripe on the nose, from the 'Nicki' in this photo

1137210149_0c4561a18b.jpg

which is in fact the detached oil spill ring come loose from round cowling.

• Like 2

Troy thank you for such a detailed response. I feel a bit of a nit. Whilst my accuracy dial is not turned up to 11, I do usually manage to at least build the correct Mk!

Good job I posted before it was too late. I do have some decals for a Mk I so ill have to build that, and put the Nicki project on hold. Thanks for showing me where the shield can be found. Annoying that two sheets are required in order to decal Nicki correctly.

As far as the Italeri errors go, I'll probably be happy enough as it's my first hurricane. As I get to know the aircraft better I will look to evaluate the errors on my next build, maybe the Hasegawa one.

Re the break out panel, I was trying hard not to call it a door!

Thanks once again

Justin H

Edited by Justin H

You could also convert the Italeri Hurricane Mk.IIc like I did;

DSCF8391_zps7f9abb47.jpg

DSCF8388_zpsafe460d8.jpg

I used the hook section from the Sea Hurri kit and will then use the Mk.IIc lower fuselage section on the Sea Hurri kit to make a Mk.Ia `Hurricat' which had the catapult spools, headrest etc and was used from CAM Ships,...just an idea? MDC also do a resin conversion set.

Cheers

Tony

PS- I meant to say that the escape panel from `Niki' was originally fitted to NF700/ 7T before it pranged in March 1944! I built my model using a number of reference pics in various books. Here is my original thread;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234947255-italeri-148th-sea-hurricane-mkiic-835-nashms-nairana/?hl=%2Bsea+%2Bhurricane

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Thank you Tony. I might just try that as do quite like the way the italeri kit goes together. The engine and cockpit fits beautifully in the fuselage, which I wasn't expecting.

Thank you for the info on Nickis escape panel. The knowledge on this forum amazes me.

Justin H

Glad I spotted this post ( well read on- maybe not so glad). I'd been merrily building the Italeri Sea Hurricane as Nicki with the EDSG invasion stripes for our clubs SMW display this year. Then I spotted the decal profile showed some cannons sticking out of the wing. Whoops- its a Mk IIC - so much for my initial research ( none). So off I go and order the Master barrels, only to then spot this thread. Looking yesterday I thought, sand the access panels, rescribe the different ones, add the cannons, job done ( BTW the kit is assembles and already painted white). But then I'd also have to fill the shell ejection ports , add the bulges for the breeches etc etc. Out with the razor saw, off comes the wing - thankfully quite cleanly at all the original joint lines, and off to but a Mk IIC to copy Tony's conversion. Gonna be two expensive Hurricanes in the end....

However- my question- since I know have to paint a new wing, did the undersides remain in Sky or not. Other posts suggest they did, and a photo of a crashed Nicki suggested that one was, but it must have then been replaced to be shield less and with the EDSG stripes, so was tha tall over white? Anyone know for sure?

Troy thank you for such a detailed response. I feel a bit of a nit. Whilst my accuracy dial is not turned up to 11, I do usually manage to at least build the correct Mk!

Good job I posted before it was too late. I do have some decals for a Mk I so ill have to build that, and put the Nicki project on hold. Thanks for showing me where the shield can be found. Annoying that two sheets are required in order to decal Nicki correctly.

As far as the Italeri errors go, I'll probably be happy enough as it's my first hurricane. As I get to know the aircraft better I will look to evaluate the errors on my next build, maybe the Hasegawa one.

Re the break out panel, I was trying hard not to call it a door!

Thanks once again

Justin H

Hi Justin

glad it was of use. Apolgies, as i did not carefully read that you had SEA Hurricanes at War, and I posted up Hurricanes at War [and i even have both sheets :banghead:]

That said the Sea hurricane sheet is dated 1999, and has the serials, and Hurricanes at war is 1997, and has the shield but no serials!

Still Aeromaster were not known as Errormaster for nothing!

Give it is possible to pick up a Hase kit for the price of the Italeri one, especially the IIC boxings, it may be a better option. The spinner of the IIC kit is wrong from looking at Tony's pictures, way too big at the base. I have not picked up an Italeri IIC as yet as i have not found a cheap one yet.

I think the Spitfire type Rotal from the MkI boxing maybe fixable, but the De Havilland one is not and is horribly wrong.

Glad I spotted this post ( well read on- maybe not so glad). I'd been merrily building the Italeri Sea Hurricane as Nicki with the EDSG invasion stripes for our clubs SMW display this year. Then I spotted the decal profile showed some cannons sticking out of the wing. Whoops- its a Mk IIC - so much for my initial research ( none). So off I go and order the Master barrels, only to then spot this thread. Looking yesterday I thought, sand the access panels, rescribe the different ones, add the cannons, job done ( BTW the kit is assembles and already painted white). But then I'd also have to fill the shell ejection ports , add the bulges for the breeches etc etc. Out with the razor saw, off comes the wing - thankfully quite cleanly at all the original joint lines, and off to but a Mk IIC to copy Tony's conversion. Gonna be two expensive Hurricanes in the end....

However- my question- since I know have to paint a new wing, did the undersides remain in Sky or not. Other posts suggest they did, and a photo of a crashed Nicki suggested that one was, but it must have then been replaced to be shield less and with the EDSG stripes, so was tha tall over white? Anyone know for sure?

Neil

replacing the wing on you Sea Hurricane Mk I with the wings off a IIC will get you a Sea Hurricane IC.

[Despite what many books say, 2 were built and never saw service. please see post #8 in particular in this thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/72790-hms-avenger-deck-colors/]

To get a Sea hurricane IIC you need to take the underfuselage panel with hook off the Mk I and add that to the IIC kit.

Then build the Mk I as a mk I, or as a Sea Hurricane mk IA which had no hook or get another hook section if you want to do a Sea Hurricane IB.

You still need a new spinner as the Italeri one is vile. Ironically the correct petite pointy unit is shown on the mk I box art and painting instruction...

2713_prof.jpg

vile kit spinner

TOY-SCL2-18697.jpg

real thing

shurr-7.jpg

the spinners on both are crap, the II being possibly salvageable.

HINT - the poorly designed ARK Hurricane, while fitting horribly and not recomended if you don't want to work hard, comes with 3 spinners, early Spitfire type De Havilland, Spitfire type Rotol [both as used on the MkI Hurricane] and the later 'bullet' Rotal spinner as used on the Mk II [retrofitted to some mk I's] which are decent, and also has both normal and Sea Hurricane underfuselages, so can be a cheap source of spares.

just as reminder, Hurricane spinner types

Hurricanespinners.jpg

Questions? fire away, had enough for now.

Since we are on the topic, what would be the best way to make the four small cannon bulges for the Hasegawa FAA Sea Hurricane Mk IIc which don't seem to be included in the kit. The wing panels seem to be correct it's just missing the bulges. Any tips?

Cheers

Hi Troy,

I've already built the Mk 1 Sea Hurricane fuselage and carefully cut away the already constructed wings, so I hope to graft on the Mk IIc wings to the fuselage that already has the hook section in place. Bit of Milliput to smooth the damage caused by razor sawing the wing off and I hope I'll have a reasonable Sea Hurricane Mk IIc albeit with a shorter nose. Thanks for spinner tips. Maybe getting the right spinner shape will help disguise the short nose. When I get the IIc kit in my hands, if I can't live with the nose I may just decide to hack off the hook section and use that on the IIc kit, and then try to resurrect the Mk I kit as a land based Hurricane instead. Once again, thanks for the comprehensive advice.

Hi Neil

I know you have already started but I can highly recommend the MDC conversion for the Hasegawa kit.

Also the decal sheet that Troy suggests is a great set of decals. I used them for my Nikki

SEAHURRICANE6.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Skids, I was looking at the MDC resin on line earlier. Lunchtime I decided to chop the (glued) underfuselage section from the Mk I to us on the Mk IIC when it arrives. Got a it butchered in the process but might be fixable. Still possible I can get a Mk IIC Sea Hurricane and Mk I Hurricane from the 2 kits and I might be able to make Nicki with the invasion stripes as I can cobble up a serial and by then it had no fuselage codes. If not I may consider trying the MDC on the Italeri IIC, since it apparently replaces the (poor) section on the Hasegawa kit where metal meets fabric, which on the Italeri kit is separated on that actual line. I have 2 Hasegawa Hurricanes in the stash but they are a Mk 1 and IID so no good for this plan. Saw your diorama in a previous search on here - nice!

Since we are on the topic, what would be the best way to make the four small cannon bulges for the Hasegawa FAA Sea Hurricane Mk IIc which don't seem to be included in the kit. The wing panels seem to be correct it's just missing the bulges. Any tips?

Cheers

Randy

They are separate parts on Sprue M along with the cannon barrels. There should be 2 of this sprue in a IIC kit.

You need to open up holes in the wing for them.

Hi Skids, I was looking at the MDC resin on line earlier. Lunchtime I decided to chop the (glued) underfuselage section from the Mk I to us on the Mk IIC when it arrives. Got a it butchered in the process but might be fixable. Still possible I can get a Mk IIC Sea Hurricane and Mk I Hurricane from the 2 kits and I might be able to make Nicki with the invasion stripes as I can cobble up a serial and by then it had no fuselage codes. If not I may consider trying the MDC on the Italeri IIC, since it apparently replaces the (poor) section on the Hasegawa kit where metal meets fabric, which on the Italeri kit is separated on that actual line. I have 2 Hasegawa Hurricanes in the stash but they are a Mk 1 and IID so no good for this plan. Saw your diorama in a previous search on here - nice!

The IID is in fact a IIC with added sprues for the 40 mm cannon, it may not have the 20mm cannon in the box, but it should have the rest, but you already bought some Master cannon barrels ;)

The kit comes with the standard carb intake and IIC cannon stubs wing part, but not the breech bulges! These are not difficult to make though.

[i hate the hasegawa multi sprue kit especially when the decals are basically worthless....]

If you can't get the MDC conversion I can send you the optional hook and underfuselage parts from an Ark kit, they are a little narrower but can be made to fit, I can modify to fit the Italeri fuselage, or Hase. PM me if you need them.

BTW, The MDC conversion is bit wide for the Italeri kit but could be made too fit, I just dug out all the relevant bits.....

Or, get in touch with Hobbyco, the Italeri importer, and see how much it would cost to buy the relevant parts, though they may want you to buy the entire sprue.

http://www.hobbyco.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=WSHobby/help/contactustab.p?session=anltobdbaNkdlbibdmhddtSckcrMbakl

Everyone bitches about the poor join on the hase kit, i moan about the weird fabric access panels. see here -http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934849-classic-airframes-hurricane-worth-getting/#entry1241894

But I think the under fuselage join would be best tackled by cutting the fabric bit from the wing, and then attaching this part to the fuselage halves, allowing to adjust to the best line up there and seam treatment, add some plastic card to back the wing cut out and provide a base for the fuselage, as the hard job otherwise to do the seam as small mis alignment's creates a tricky filling/filing job to make an even fabric surface...

This is a really poor bit of design, which could so easily have been avoided.

HTH

T

Hi Troy, thanks for the kind offer. The replacement Italeri kit didn't arrive with the postman this morning so once I have it in my hands I'll take stock of all my potential options and go from there.

RandyThey are separate parts on Sprue M along with the cannon barrels. There should be 2 of this sprue in a IIC kit.You need to open up holes in the wing for them. The IID is in fact a IIC with added sprues for the 40 mm cannon, it may not have the 20mm cannon in the box, but it should have the rest, but you already bought some Master cannon barrels ;)The kit comes with the standard carb intake and IIC cannon stubs wing part, but not the breech bulges! These are not difficult to make though.[i hate the hasegawa multi sprue kit especially when the decals are basically worthless....] If you can't get the MDC conversion I can send you the optional hook and underfuselage parts from an Ark kit, they are a little narrower but can be made to fit, I can modify to fit the Italeri fuselage, or Hase. PM me if you need them. BTW, The MDC conversion is bit wide for the Italeri kit but could be made too fit, I just dug out all the relevant bits..... Or, get in touch with Hobbyco, the Italeri importer, and see how much it would cost to buy the relevant parts, though they may want you to buy the entire sprue.http://www.hobbyco.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=WSHobby/help/contactustab.p?session=anltobdbaNkdlbibdmhddtSckcrMbakl Everyone bitches about the poor join on the hase kit, i moan about the weird fabric access panels. see here -http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934849-classic-airframes-hurricane-worth-getting/#entry1241894 But I think the under fuselage join would be best tackled by cutting the fabric bit from the wing, and then attaching this part to the fuselage halves, allowing to adjust to the best line up there and seam treatment, add some plastic card to back the wing cut out and provide a base for the fuselage, as the hard job otherwise to do the seam as small mis alignment's creates a tricky filling/filing job to make an even fabric surface...This is a really poor bit of design, which could so easily have been avoided. HTHT

Thanks mate, I didn't see them first time around, it was a used kit and everything was out of the bags. I will look again.

All the best