Airfix Swift

Catbird

When I visited the Baginton Museum ca. 1996, a very kind bloke slathered fresh paint on the underside of the Javelin (I think it was some light grey). I asked him if he was sure that was the right colour (I had the feeling it should have been silver, but feelings may be wrong), and he said he had no idea, this was the only paint available, so he had to use it.

Good thing he had already run out of magenta... ;)

John

• Like 2

IIRC fighter aircraft used in 2 TAF had Blue undersides, UK based had silver. Sabres and Venoms had this difference, just not sure when this was changed, I understand a few of the first germany hunters had blue undrsides (willing to be corrected on this!) so it may have been a change made in the late 50's to silver.

Selwyn

Yes I as aware that aircraft based in Germany had PRU blue undersides (including some Hunters) and those in the UK silver. But was the Swift FR5 ever based in the UK - I thought that all off the (few) squadrons that used it were based in Germany?

John

Generally speaking PRU blue undersides were fairly common on all overseas fighter that had camouflage. This included Vampires and Venoms in the Near and Far East. When the RAF received its Canadair Sabres, those based in the UK (XDxxx serials) had silver painted undersides, and those based in RAF Germany (XBxxx serials) had PRU blue undersides. The Sabre was phased out in favour of the Hunter ca. 1955-6 and the vast majority of those based in RAFG had silver undersides. There is a suggestion that at least two of the F4's had PRU Blue below, artwork decals exist for a 3Sqn and a 118 Sqn (?) Machine as well in this scheme. The Swift FR5 only ever served in RAFG, with II(AC). Sqn and 79 Sqn (and briefly with 4 Sqn when 79 re-numbered before getting the Hunter FR.10.) Joining service in 1956, at this stage they would have been painted in PRU blue as standard, but with the defence cuts in 1957, when most Hunter Squadrons (certainly in RAFG) and overseas Air Forces were cut back, standardisation on silver undersides seems to have been the order of the day, so Swifts would have been re-painted in silver as and when.....

Edited by Bill Clark

A handful of XBxxx Sabres received silver undersides after being transferred to Fighter Command, with one even receiving the higher demarcation line of the blue undersides. Others remained blue.

A handful at the most, they weren't in service long enough to warrant whole sale re-painting. Sabre by Duncan Curtis is the bible on Sabres and gives full details....

There were also XBxxx serialed Sabres flying in the UK with blue undersides following transfer from RAFG, there's a good picture of a 92Sqn machine in this colour scheme in various books and on the internet...

• 2 weeks later...

We may have to wait a little longer for this one .

i was looking at the test shot at RIAT yesterday , it looks good . but talking to the rep the mold has been damaged and has had to be sent back to the tool makers for repair . So don't hold your breath .

happy modelling Glenn.

Thats a ludicrous comment. If it looks good it is good.

Marty...

Never said whether it looked good or not, just commented that I think computer generated art is not the same as the personal touch and skill of a traditional artist.

Peter

Sure looks nice -will be getting one. Do you think Airfix will do the 1/72 Supermarine Scimitar?

I would be tempted in 1/48 since I did build the Sea Vixen.

Love those FAA jets!

Steve

DSCN2621_zps9435e172.jpg

DSCN2628_zps22da920d.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely box art, but interesting in that the aircraft shown is WK281, which is the one on display at the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum. However the one at the Museum has silver undersides, not PRU blue. My question therefore is whether the FR Swifts changed their underside colours from PRU blue to silver (or vice versa) in their service lives?

John

Yes, they did, about 1959, but it was gradual and some retained PRU blue right to the end. There are several pics showing aircraft with both flying in formation. (one appears to show a PRU blue aircraft with a replacement silver aileron)

WK281 was certainly silver late in her service career, need to see if I have a shot of her definitely in PRU blue (I have one that certainly suggests that)

Edited by Dave Fleming

I'm really pleased that Airfix will be releasing a Swift.

I have a soft spot for the aeroplane and for II(AC) Squadrton. I was in Prince Rupert School, Wilhelmshaven, in the very late 50s / early 60s, and joined the CCF. I remember the Swifts flying past our school boarding house at the Bonteheim and the school en route to nearby RAF Jever every day.

We in the CCF had weekend 'exercises' at Jever. I vivedly remember one such when for reasons I forget we were let loose on the apron and there was a Swift, all nice and shiny. So naturally we clambered on and around it, army boots and all, until there was a terrible scream and the crew chief leaped into action sending us packing. The Swift was '"sir's", all nicely spit & polished, except it was now covered in sticky finger marks, especially the canopy. It was II(AC) squadron CO's mount. I think before I left PRS II(AC) switched to Hunters but I might be wronmg.

I can't remember of the aeroplane had silver or PRU blue undersides - I rather fancy the former. I 'met' the Swift owned by Newark Airr Museum (in II(AC) colours years later (and the Tangmere one, which I think is on loan from the RAF Museuim).

If only Airfix were to release a 1/48 kit. I shall change habits and buy the 1/72 kit but - PLEASE, Airfix, consider a 1/48 kit ....!

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 1

I have a soft spot for the aeroplane and for II(AC) Squadrton. I was in Prince Rupert School, Wilhelmshaven, in the very late 50s / early 60s, and joined the CCF. I remember the Swifts flying past our school boarding house at the Bonteheim and the school en route to nearby RAF Jever every day.

Have you seen this website?

http://www.rafjever.org/

Have you seen this website?

http://www.rafjever.org/

Thank you VERY much, Dave!

I don't think I had seen the site before. Bookmarked now. I was shouted at by SWMBO because I lost track of the time skimming through it and it was gone 2:00 in the morning before the shout started ....!

• Like 3