Haizerado class Astro Battleship

thanks Warren

Mate, I am hanging with baited breath for it. I expect it will be at work for me when I go back tomorrow - or at some point this week :)

well, it's time to spam the boards again with a small update

I have finally finished the drone and I am pretty happy with how it's come out. The colours aren't exact, but they'll do. I was going to try and light the intake like things up front down below but that proved way to hard, so I just painted it instead. The engines however are lit

The base is an old car display case which turned out to be perfect - I can just take the lid off to change the battery out if I have to! :)

IMG_6146_zpsafbb6de0.jpg

IMG_6147_zpsafb6d546.jpg

IMG_6148_zps78a81d2a.jpg

IMG_6150_zps3dd30fa6.jpg

IMG_6151_zpsc0057b4b.jpg

IMG_6152_zps3846d379.jpg

IMG_6154_zps9936b2ee.jpg

IMG_6165_zps4a20a10f.jpg

IMG_6160_zpse77df4eb.jpg

Well, that's it for now. See you all again soon

Thanks for looking in

MH

• Like 5

thanks bud

Yes, I might still do some dry brushing yet, but at ths stage, I probably won't.

My Micro controller arrived yesterday, so I got to spend a couple of hours on it last night. The last of my LED's also arrived at the same time - so that was a bonus. All the LED's are now installed and so is the controller. I am now in the process of wiring it all together and then will test it and then close up the 2 halves.

All being well, I should have this finished in the next 2 weeks!

Thank you for taking the time to comment - it's greatly appreciated

BTW - I still say you should start off the buddy build I won't be far behind

yes - I too would LOVE to buy the Domelaze ship too, but I cant afford it now after I spent some dosh buying the Moebius Pegasus. Besdies - it's HUGE (nearly 80cm long) and I just dont have the shelf space for it yet.

It's on my to buy list though. If you have it, I say build it! I'd love to see it go together

I saw one built up recently online (I can;t remeber the site) but one thing that stood out for me is that once it's built, you can seperate it in half to store/transport it. I though that was a pretty niffty feature

That's a nice tip - it would make installing gubbins a lot easier too. I think it's one of those things where it might be good not to superdetail it, but to hang it from the ceiling and make pew-pew noises at it instead :)

On topic, I really like the drone, especially at the slight angle. The pic showing the engines at a low angle is very cool.

Will

• Like 1

Glad the controller fits MH!

My Cosmo Falcon arrived yesterday so I'd be up for a buddy build once the family holiday is over. Lot of plastic for a 1/72 fighter.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Hobby search is great for previews, I love how they put the instructions up so you can get prepared :)

I'll try get some scale shots of the sprues too, figure out how much shelf is needed :)

Also need to pick some colours, I'm thinking not the ones this guy did :P

BuHo3mZCcAESl6k.jpg

yeah - not to sure about that red. Interesting, but not my cup of tea

I did a test the other night and the lighting system works a treat. It does look pretty cool and once it's all together, I'll shoot a quick video of it all lit up

I think I should be able to close up the 2 halves this weekeend and begn painting! Yay :D

Anthony,

If you want I will post a short tutorial about LEDs in the buddy build thread. Adding static lights is fairly simple just a few simple rules to remember. Making them do the flashy flickery stuff is a bit more difficult unless like Will you are an electronics whiz!! I can do some and use a package called Arduino to write small programmes and load processors.

For MHs controller he told me what he wanted, a 2 second on off flasher and 2 sets of LEDs that alternately fade in and out over a 40 second cycle. Built the board, programmed the chip and posted it out to him.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Yes, I really must learn how to do programming. I would love to advance with my lighting from static lights to what I have I this ship now.

I looked at some Arduino stuff in Jaycar here in Melbourne and it's OK I. Price (not as cheap as what I thought it was) and it was quite big. Even the smallest set they had would have been too big for most kits. I'm assuming that you can buy a cradle kit with hardware (cable) and software to the PC and the chips separately?

I remember Will had a link to some from overseas in one of his threads, but I can't remember which thread it was and wouldn't know which kit to buy. I'm going to have to set aside a few hours to do some research on this, including how to write programs.

I haven't done any kind of coding since I left high school when computer program's were made up of: if x go to v

If x goto v is the start of it :) Most programming is telling your computer a mix of "make decisions" and "do sums". If you can do a little bit of either and start slow you'll be fine.

The standard Arduino kit is going to be cheaper on the internet than in Jaycar, but you might get support from Jaycar and that can be worth paying for. I'd want to be confident that someone in your shop knew about the subject first though!

It's also going to cost a fair bit more than the 8 USD I spent on the board in the Viper. And like you say, it's too big, but it's much better for learning and prototyping than the smaller, less friendly board. Plus you could do what Warren does and use it to program your own microcontrollers so it's never going to be a waste of time.

For local advice you could look and see if Melbourne has a "hackerspace" or "makerspace" - they often run courses on using Arduino and will be able to tell you where to shop as well.

BTW I think the post you were thinking of is probably this one in the Viper thread?

For basic lighting, you can't go wrong with a CR2032 coin cell, a "standard" LED and a couple of bits of wire. The internal resistance of the cell means you don't need an external resistor to limit current, although you'll get better battery life if you use one to dim the LED a little.

If you have access to pound shops, $2 shops etc. these are great for buying cheap LED pens or torches which come with driver circuits, battery holders, switches etc. All you need to do is chop it up and add some wires to take the LED where you want it. Batteries generally included too :)

HTH,

Will

• Like 1

The Arduino starter kit I bought was about £30 and came with the Arduino board, USB cable, prototype board, cables and a host of components such as LEDs, resistors, sensors etc.

The programming software is open source and free and there are plenty of on line sites for advice, just beware that many of the forums will help if you put the effort in to learn a bit first. There are plenty of tutorials out there and the software comes with some standard programmes that take you from simple flashing LEDs to Comms set up.

The programmes I write are usually quite simple, for the Aircraft I use a small processor to provide the off set anti-collision beacons with the correct period of time between flashes. The Viper kit is a bit more sophisticated in that the engines have a flicker, the wing tips flash every 20s and the cockpit has some flashing lights.

Both use an Attiny85 processor, an 8 pin package with 8k of flash memory, the 6 available pins can be programmed to be either digital inputs or outputs, 2 can be used as analogue outputs and 3 can be configured for analogue input. Larger chips are available, the Attiny2313 is a 20 pin package giving 18 I/O pins but has a limited memory of 2k.

The processors cost about £2 to buy, then it is a case of building a small circuit board, I use veroboard, then wire it as you need using Kynar wire which is nice and thin.

The processors run off 5.5v - 2.7v and I use 2 x AA batteries, they will run of a CR2032 but not for long. As Will said static LEDs will happily work from a CR2032 I always add a 49R resistor in series with each LED as it helps prolong their life.

Sorry to hijack your thread MH .

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

I'm thinking painting might take a bit longer than I expected it too. This is the result of just a day's worth of masking. to be fair to myself, I am also child minding, so what can I really expect?

IMG_6236_zps45d44fc0.jpg

IMG_6237_zps4ee82a03.jpg

IMG_6239_zps0d8dd6ff.jpg

IMG_6240_zps25b7891b.jpg

IMG_6242_zps7d769a47.jpg

IMG_6244_zpsaaaff3a1.jpg

This is just the beginning - I've only done the black. I still need to do another 2 splashes of gray before I re-shade where I need to and then add the base color. Shouldn't need to much tweaking from there - famous last words.

Like my last build, these pics are more for my reference so I remember where I put them.

Till next time

MH

• Like 3

Hobby search is great for previews, I love how they put the instructions up so you can get prepared :)

I'll try get some scale shots of the sprues too, figure out how much shelf is needed :)

Also need to pick some colours, I'm thinking not the ones this guy did :P

BuHo3mZCcAESl6k.jpg

Hey Misrule, can you remember where you found that image of the Zoelgutt model above? I'm planning on getting one of the big 1/1000 brutes and I plan on painting it like the Zoelgutt (red, organge windows, etc) and I found the above image to be a good reference.

It was a build on twitter of all places, but unfortunately it seems to have vanished from the net. :(

I can probably grab some screen shots if you like, from what I recall the vessel was completely red, probably the same shade as the battlecarrier.

My Dreadnought arrived Friday and it is a heavy bit of plastic :P I was going to do a fully documented build but I'm weak and easily tempted so its built and awaiting paint :P

EDIT-

I went with Insignia Red for my carrier, probably what I'd go for regarding the Zoelgutt herself.

28jfu5g.jpg

Ultimately I think I'll paint up my version as the Domelaze and match the rest of the fleet. Though I did give a lot of thought to painting it green and calling it a production model serving the regular navy

Edited by Misrule

well that's a shame you didn't do a build log of the Domelaze there - I was really looking forward to seeing how it went together :(

Oh well, I know all about temptation too, so I get it. Still a shame though (feel guilty yet ;) )

I am still masking my way through the battleship and should hopefully be able to start laying down the main body color tomorrow - if all things go according to plan

Pics soon

Any reference images you could find would be really appreciated, I can't find any anywhere. The Zoelgutt is underappreciated and I want to do her justice.

I thought of painting a Domelaze standard green but Id rather not, especially considering the price of the thing.

well, masking went quicker than I thought and is now all done. The ship is now in the shed after being shaded ready for the main body color.

It's taken me 3 days to get this masking all done, so I hope it's worth it

Some pics:

IMG_6329_zps686575c8.jpg

IMG_6331_zpsd057e4a7.jpg

IMG_6333_zps26d2b0f7.jpg

IMG_6337_zpse5e975aa.jpg

IMG_6339_zps65384bac.jpg

IMG_6340_zpsd6d22f49.jpg

IMG_6344_zps1fe1be0f.jpg

IMG_6350_zpse9c91801.jpg

IMG_6356_zps88ca56fa.jpg

IMG_6368_zps138f2960.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I think the next post from me will be the last in this WIP thread and after that - RFI. I still have to find a base for this to sit on as yet - I have no idea on what to use. I'll hunt around some of the cheapo $2 shops here and see what I can find

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 1

Yeah I'm terrible :P I thought I'll do a little bit of pre assembly while I wait for paints, just a tiny bit of work. Five hours later...

I also slapped together one of these Haizerads too, I just can't leave things in boxes :P

I can say for the Dreadnought it went together incredibly smoothly, considering the size and weight of parts it was a very good and solid fit. Probably want a tiny bit of filler on one or two joins around the bow and the main intakes but overall the engineering was close to perfect. Only needed glue on the tiny fins which all these ships have.

The method by which the two halves fit together also very solid, not a wobble

Need some fresh batteries for my ancient camera but will find some pics in the future.

Meanwhile some references for the Zoelgutt, I'll just link them as there are a few

http://tinypic.com/r/24euyko/8

Hope that covers all angles :) The kit has name plate decals for all three known ships which makes life easier :)
Also anyone else see the new battlecarrier? Same class as Mr Hatter built a few months ago but in a rather vibrant camouflage scheme. Very eye catching :)
Edited by Misrule

Thanks! Those references are really helpful, especially for small details. I don't know how the bridge windows will turn out, it depends on how the window section is moulded, if its decals, or a transparent colour part (would be harder :weep:). Plus the ones provided showed some shots of the Goergametsch which also help with my current build, so double the helpfulness.

I saw the carrier, from the new movie I think, it had black and white splinter camouflage like Goer's fleet. Very nice. Maybe a possible build for me in the future I think :hmmm:

Madhatter, this build is looking great! like I said in one of my earlier posts, most of this different coloured ships are forgotten about, most people build the models in their green colours, I'm glad you decided to go with the grey/violet scheme for the Haizerad, because it looks fantastic :clap2: