Haizerado class Astro Battleship

That's the thing with the Banadai instructions; they're all in Japanese. Including the paint instructions which is a downer because you have no idea what colors they refer to (unless you can read Japanese, in which case your in luck)

Here are a few links I have found very useful to interpret Japanese:

http://maggie.ocrgrid.org/nhocr/

http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/

In the first, if you can scan a Japanese text then upload the image, you get back the characters which can then be copied, inserted and translated by Google or something similar. While not prefect I've had a lot of help this way.

• Like 2

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the new kits. They are big, but they're very expensive and have a huge amount of parts, which I sometimes think is unnessary.

Just my opinion though.

Spaceship group build? Just throwing that out there... :)

Anthony.

Yes, I agree that they are very expensive, but I personally feel you get your value for money. I don't mind the extra parts. It makes them look so much better than if they were moulded on

I'd be so in for a space ship GB!! Someone else will have to organise it because I couldn't ....

Here are a few links I have found very useful to interpret Japanese:

http://maggie.ocrgrid.org/nhocr/

http://jisho.org/kanji/radicals/

In the first, if you can scan a Japanese text then upload the image, you get back the characters which can then be copied, inserted and translated by Google or something similar. While not prefect I've had a lot of help this way.

Thanks for those links Jorgen, they will be extremely useful for lots of people. Hopefully, the translations come out better than some of the interesting ones I've seen on Google-translate :D

MH

Edited by Madhatter

Spaceship GB would be cool. I think there was a sci-fi one a couple of years ago which I managed to miss.

For my money the Bandai Yamato stuff is quite keenly priced for what you get. The previous 1/500 Yamato (the good one which came out a couple of years before the 2199 wave) worked out at about 120 NZD, and the Core Ship was 30-40. I think that compares quite well to the typical model aeroplane of similar size.

I do sometimes wish they'd make glue together kits (so that e.g. a ship hull would be two halves, rather than a sort of 3D puzzle) but I know why they don't - target market might not be into that - and I'm sure it keeps the price down for those of us who are. Plus sometimes it's fun to be 10 again and just clip the bits off the sprues and jam them together. And then cry as you realise that you can't get it apart again to do it properly :sob:

I've been quite impressed by the results from Google Translate (on my phone) on Bandai instructions. It doesn't always see the characters but when it does it says things like "highlight the lines of panel by making thin oil paint" or similar. Which seems pretty good to me!

Will

Weren't there Spitfires in space on Doctor Who?

That might work.

I already built several spaceships.

The last was a Ma.k Sternail.

(Probably only one of 3 or 4 in existence)

Just waiting for my mate to take pics of it

before I put it on here.

Any progress on the kit Madhatter?

Anthony.

Not much sorry, I only really get to work on builds 3 days a week, so that slows down progress a bit.

I have snuck I a couple of hours late at night and have finished detailing the bridge and spent the rest of the time working out the lighting rig, drilling holes and cutting away at this inside - nothing really worth taking pics of just yet.

I'll probably post an update tomorrow night

MH

• Like 1

greetings everyone

Well, things progress ever so slowly, but I thought I'd catch you up where I am currently.

I spent a fair amount of time setting up the rear engine lighting - most of the time spent trying to work out what to use as an LED holder. In the end, I went with a hollowed out drive wheel from a Tamiya M60A3 tank. Works perfectly!

I cut a disc from clear plastic sheet and then sprayed a coat of Testors Dullcoat to give it a nice frosted effect. The little nozzle that protrudes in the middle got hacked up too and I must say, I am happy with the end result. Obviously, the below pics are just a light test and nothing is glued on, but on the final product I will make sure everything is centered etc

IMG_5734_zps5d822a51.jpg

IMG_5735_zps73784bab.jpg

IMG_5737_zps1adcac09.jpg

And the light box in the middle is still being worked on. Trying to make it fit is becoming a challenge to say the least!

IMG_5738_zps7dae2f97.jpg

And finally, the bridge work is now all done and ready to be installed:

IMG_5739_zpsec659867.jpg

IMG_5741_zps65043c00.jpg

IMG_5743_zps580830a5.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I'll continue working on the Middle light box but I am waiting on delivery of the last colored LED set to arrive. I bought 50 Yellow LED's but what I didn't realise is that they are flashing LED's and unfortunately, they blink to fast to be of use on this ship. So, if you want some flashing yellow LED's please feel free to ask me for some. I have no use for them, but it's not so bad when considering I only paid $3.50AU delivered for them.

See you again soon

MH

• Like 2

I spent some time on the electrics last night and I found I had to cut some corners - literally - off the central light box to make it fit.

I'm still waiting on the last of the LEDs to arrive before I can finish that off and get it installed and wired in. But I'm also waiting on a critical part of this set up before I can really know if I need to make a different set of lights - I'm waiting on the micro controller to arrive :eat: . Then, once I can be sure it fits in to the space I've managed to allot for it, I can really continue. The controller will instruct the central lights to fade-change colours every 20-39 seconds from Green for at rest to yellow/orange for at battle stations (I think that's the right way around - or it might be the other - I'll have to check)
I just hope the controller will fit otherwise I'll have to change plans and have to make up a base (again), house it in there and up the wires up through the ship. Which would be a PITA to say the least but still do-able

Anyway, here's the fruits of my minimalistic labor ;)

First up - the top half of the ship is mostly together and retail to detail:

IMG_5749_zps62ff8c1d.jpg

IMG_5750_zps68bd5d7a.jpg

I thought this little bit here was quite a nice design feature that had remained hidden until now.

IMG_5752_zpsf96f14f1.jpg

IMG_5755_zpsa3312286.jpg

And inside:

IMG_5757_zps3a6f2e67.jpg

IMG_5760_zpscbc56234.jpg

IMG_5761_zpsbc2a2229.jpg

IMG_5765_zps0b442aab.jpg

IMG_5766_zps1f58f074.jpg

IMG_5767_zps1fd8431c.jpg

Well, that's all for now. See you again soon

MH

• Like 1

Ah, I see what it was - in the picture with the grille which wasn't previously visible just ahead (?) of the bridge it looks like a couple of panel lines have a burr from scribing. But looking at the rest of it I realise this is actually a reflection from the white paper. Sorry for the confusion!

Will

got to spend some time on this today as I was quite unwell this morning. Doc says get some rest, etc etc

So, with the wife and boy away visiting one of her friends, I decided that the best way for me to relax and "rest" was to do some more on this ship.

I spent a long time tidying up the wires and fiber threads and finishing up what I can ready for the micro controller to be installed.

As you can see, I have gone for the plug system again to power the LED's which are separate to the controller. Because that plug is powered, I'll use the last plug left to run the M.C and nav lights

However, I don't have enough spaces for the bridge light to plug into this board, so I'll keep the extended wires and plug it into another plug which will go into the lower half of the ship.

All being well, the last of the LED's will be here this week, so I can then finish off the central light box and get that installed to.

Organised chaos:

IMG_5770_zpsc4136a36.jpg

IMG_5775_zpse957f806.jpg

IMG_5776_zps1cf24928.jpg

Well, that's all for now but I'll be back again probably on Monday with another update.

Thanks for watching

MH

hi everyone

I have made some progress over the past few days and now the top half of the ship is now detailed and I will start the bottom half tonight.

I've also had to re-do the central lighting again. I've moved the LED's around so they don't block each other and disperse the light better. I haven't taken any pics of that yet because it's not finished

IMG_5833_zps0c33d602.jpg

IMG_5848_zpsa00dd40d.jpg

IMG_5849_zpsa716db62.jpg

IMG_5850_zpsa2325437.jpg

IMG_5839_zpsfdaed3fb.jpg

IMG_5843_zps1ac7376d.jpg

IMG_5852_zpscd241fa1.jpg

IMG_5842_zpse9181a62.jpg

IMG_5846_zps48591728.jpg

IMG_5845_zpsc85f41e8.jpg

IMG_5844_zpscdd54ca9.jpg

That's all for now - thanks for looking and it's back to to the studio for your regularly scheduled program...

MH

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. Going The same route as your Carrier you did. Are you doing a platform for it again?

Steve

Edited by Steven Corvi

Thanks Steve

Yes, to a degree I am going down the same path as the carrier (which is why I suspect this one isn't generating as much interest as the carrier) but I won't be doing another base like the last one - too much work :D

Si

Thanks guys

I thought I was being light on with the detailing! I haven't used any ship kit parts if that counts :)

Will be starting the lower half this weekend then it's a case of waiting for the controller to be done, sent and installed. I'm not in any rush mind you.

MH

hi everyone

Well, it's been a full on week with the sister in law here for a visit and an even busier working week, so those combined and with the addition of other c**p, bench time has been some what limited.

I have begun work on the lower half of the ship, adding details here and there. I have decided to add some 0.7mm brass tubing bits to the guns to give them a better look. I know it's not quite screen accurate - but then, when have I ever been a stickler for accuracy?

I also got word that my micro controller is all but done and I am waiting with huge anticipation of receiving it in the mail. I'm very excited :)

Time for some pics - of which there only a few, so I do apologise.

IMG_6088_zps04d82a6c.jpg

IMG_6089_zps7fa8189a.jpg

IMG_6090_zps8ecdc503.jpg

IMG_6091_zps3dcc365c.jpg

IMG_6092_zpsb794bc2f.jpg

IMG_6094_zpseabd8258.jpg

IMG_6095_zpsdbfbac33.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Will try to update again soon

Thanks for stopping in and having a squiz

MH

Those torpedo tubes look very spiffy :) Shame we never see them really let loose in the show, looking at the number of tubes these ships seem designed to sit back and spam missiles and torpedoes at targets from long range while the smaller cruisers and destroyers rush in to finish off survivors at close range.

In terms of gun firepower these battleships are outgunned by the smaller cruiser designs, but those torps definitely make up for it :P

Nice that whoever designed these vehicles took a look at the sort of roles a fleet would need and set up warships to fill each niche. Carrier, missile ship, fast attack, Dreadnought etc. Fair bit of thought gone into it :)

I've been watching numerous little snippets of episodes on youtube of late and I am really getting a taste for it. I'd love to get the live action version to! Know where to get it from? I can't seem ind it anywhere here or online - including those kooky little DVD shops that have that kind of thing.

I got my copy from Mighty Ape (NZ Amazon clone) who also ship to Aussie.

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Space-Battleship-Yamato/19509868

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Space-Battleship-Yamato/19509867

Out of stock at the moment though. JB Hifi in Aus claim to be able to get it too.

HTH,

Will