Haizerado class Astro Battleship

Hi guys and girls

Yes, I know I'm supposed to be building the BR52, but I just couldn't contain my excitement of building this ship any longer!

set4boxart_zps97ee6d0c.jpg

I just love the shape and menacing appearance of this Battleship., According to my sources, this was the latest variant of battleship to come out and to make things even better, it comes in any color you like.

However, in the main story, there are 3 particular schemes of note. One is Blue and that belongs to the head honcho's royal guard another one is the intelligence Chief's flagship which is gray and the third variant is green and that seems to be the most common one out there.

I'm going to do the Gray scheme because so far, of all the one's I've seen online, no one has done the gray one yet and I kind of like the idea of this ship being a flagship - even though the super dreadnought makes it look small in comparison.

Also inside this set, there is a troop transporter which is in splinter colors (on the box art, it's the one on the bottom right next to the Bandai logo) but also this wicked looking unmanned drone.

IMG_5709_zpscf71f244.jpg

I think with some extra detailing, I can maybe make it look even better. That's a big maybe mind you.

I've been thinking of ways to light this and I'll admit, parts of it will be incredibly tricky. Most of all is the scoop like things on the bottom. On the battleship, they are molded in clear yellow, which is fine - that can be adjusted with the right color LEDs, but the ones on the drone are solidly molded on and I have no idea on how A) I'm going to get the detail out of there and B) what material I'll use to replace them.:

IMG_5710_zps4d84e8f5.jpg

IMG_5711_zpsfdf1685a.jpg

If you have any ideas, feel free to share them!

So, enough intro, onto the build! I've had this out of the box now for about an hour or so and I have mutilated it already, getting ready for the installation of lighting. I'm waiting on the arrival of some orange, pink and green LED's which I ordered a while ago and should be here this week!

The good thing about this ship is there isn't much lighting to do, so it should be quick and easy.....famous last words!

It's a decent length too - just on 39cm.

IMG_5707_zpscb01c7ce.jpg

IMG_5708_zps2f506105.jpg

I love the way Bandai have engineered these kits with all these little compartments that make lighting life so much easier.

Well, that's enough for tonight - it's late here and I need to go to bed, but I'll continue on with this tomorrow night and post an update soon.

Sorry to those who were watching the 52, but rest assured, I'll get back to it again soon

Thanks for looking

MH

Mate, Keep them coming!

I've been given a Bandai Yamato.

No box & it came direct from Japan,

So what instructions I do have, are,

Oddly, Not in English.

Mostly it seems to be a snap fit thing.

With removeable skin panels.

I'll look further when (WHEN!?) I have time.

Pete

Nice one Pete. What scale Yamato did you get?

That's the thing with the Banadai instructions; they're all in Japanese. Including the paint instructions which is a downer because you have no idea what colors they refer to (unless you can read Japanese, in which case your in luck)

You going to light yours? I saw a link the other day to an awesome Yamato which may be of use to you. I'll hunt around to see if I can find it again.

Si

I just had another look at it.

It's like a multi part (8 I think) magazine issue.

All snap together & pre coloured.

Some bits are metal.Mostly soft(ish) plastic.

Main gun turret 15mm wide if that helps.

In amongst the Japanese script it says

365mm so that may be the finished length.

I'm too busy to do anything with it for now.

So it can live in it's shoebox until I get around to it.

Lovely kit Si,

Not surprised you can't resist it. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

The Yamato is on my list to do, already had a look through the instructions thanks to the Hobby Search web site, great place to review as they post all the instructions for most models.

Pete, have a look on this site as the colour scheme has been translated into English. No paint numbers just names but it's a start!

http://www.mech9.com/blog/2012/08/11000-space-battleship-yamato-2199-construction-manual-color-guide/

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

365mm long sounds like its 1/1000 as that's in the same size range as the ones I have.

Thanks for that link as well Warren, that'll be handy for the Balgray when I get to it

Si

• Like 1

Love the battleship, nice sleek and menacing design :)

If you are going for the grey version she's called the 'Shangri La' and here's a couple of screen shots of her...

2ecdg61.png
15xmglt.png
29oh5sl.png

Also keep an eye out for this beast...

10489967_727061060669073_257508617800389

due out in the next few weeks :)

Edited by Misrule
  • Like 1

Ah Jim! I've been hoping you'd stop in!! Great to see you bro! Thanks for the screen grabs - hugely helpful - especially now that I know what colours to paint the intake cowlings. I'm also glad to hear it doesn't have a ridiculous name either...

Yes, I so cant wait till the Domelaze comes out - mind you, not sure how I'll hide that one from the missus ;)

Well, time for one last up date for the week. I have made some progress, although seemingly not much. However, removing the bridge window is a challenge when you consider it is only 2mm high at it's tallest point. I will fill it in with clear cement once the paintings done so it won't look like a holed out window.

I have also begun adding the usual micro detailing to give it some texture. I will try not to go over board on this one. Fibers have also been added as nav lights and there is an SMD in the bridge for it's illumination

IMG_5727_zps95cdafce.jpg

IMG_5723_zps8b1d0c2d.jpg

IMG_5722_zpsfa1c12c3.jpg

I have also tried out something new and dug out a small trench at the rear of these small fins to enable a fiber thread to be installed. I finally got to break out my smallest engraving tool and Ii am really happy with the over all result. I just need to add putty over it to smooth it out and blend in with the rest of the fin.

IMG_5719_zps658507f8.jpg

IMG_5720_zpsaec82ce9.jpg

And lastly, I have made a different kind of light box for the side things (no one I know actually knows what they are called or what they do other than they change colors depending on the ships status). I may yet change out the frosted clear bits and re-do them but not so frosty. It depends on how much light they will disperse - or not.

IMG_5729_zps6aa7aff8.jpg

IMG_5730_zpsd04f9d0b.jpg

Well, that;s it for this week. Be back again soon with some more of this awesome ship

Thanks for looking

MH

Edited by Madhatter
  • Like 1

Good to see you starting the build mate, great to see these kits done justice :)

For the lights, yeah, even the show producers are cagey on that one. The prevailing theory is they are part of the targeting system and they change colour as they power up and begin searching for enemies but that's unofficial. I've heard it said that they are simply there to show the vessel's intentions, purely symbolic like running up the battle ensigns on real world warships.

Real reason I guess is rule of cool :P

What do you reckon the closest shade of gray would be? I just love the look of that ship in gray with the darker contrasts. So much better than the green box art I think.

I'm going to do the lights green because I think those 2 colors will go well together, although I do like the thought of a orangy yellow. Hard choice to make. I had though about using a micro controller to make it so it changes color every 20 seconds, so might have to have a chat with Warren I think :)

MH

I think I'd go with Compass grey as a base, but to my eye there is a hint of violet too. Maybe a couple of drops just to differentiate it from the Dreadnought.

The Intel department who operated the ship tended to wear uniforms with purple highlights and a slight violet tinge which makes me think their ships might have a similar scheme. Also I think this particular vessel flew with an entirely female crew :)

To the best of my knowledge it survived the series and is still out there doing whatever it does

Already thinking of a way to fade one in then out and then fade another in and out, however we need to sort out the small problem of memory loss on the trip down under!

The other issue would be the colours as you would need to use a bi-colour LED which limits your choice.

The added detail looks great by the way.

Cheers,

Warren

I think I'd go with Compass grey as a base, but to my eye there is a hint of violet too. Maybe a couple of drops just to differentiate it from the Dreadnought.

The Intel department who operated the ship tended to wear uniforms with purple highlights and a slight violet tinge which makes me think their ships might have a similar scheme. Also I think this particular vessel flew with an entirely female crew :)

To the best of my knowledge it survived the series and is still out there doing whatever it does

Compass Grey - never heard of it, but I'll go see what I can find :) Thanks bud.

I'm not sure I like the idea of violet in the mix. Ito me, the intake surrounds look more dark grey than violet. Think I'll stick with the drak gray accents - even though it may not be 100% accurate tot he screen, mind you, my take on the Darold wasn't exactly a true representation of the onscreen ship.

Sounds a good plan mate, with the extra detail and shading its guaranteed to look awesome :)

Compass Grey is is your basic US military grey, there's a couple of shades I think but the basic one has a nice blue tinge to it which looks quite nice :)

x136.jpg

Edited by Misrule

The gray of the ship looks a lot lighter than shade of gray shown in the pics. I should be able to come up with a close shade when the the comes

I so can't wait to get stuck back into this ship, especially now that I have Warren working I a lighting solution for me. That man is a gem! I can't rate him highly enough.

I'll redo my LED banks to accommodate the additional 7 LEDs to be added, but that won't be a problem. I am super excited about this ship now that I can get the lilting effect I want. I just I need to find the space to do it. It's very limited in that respect

Have a buthcers at a well weathered F-14 or A-6.

I think (though it would be difficult in this scale)

That is the sort of patchwork grey that would look good.

Maybe mask with tiny squares & spray from different directions.

Or not, Maybe that way lies madness & OCD!

Ghost grey maybe? I think thats the base colour of F-22s and the like

t225_fbb87f6fc8ba80f1aa929b8d9be4c737.jp

Though I did a TOS Enterprise in Ghost and it looked more like dirty white, so I dunno, might be worth experimenting or doing some patches as suggested above :)

This is the clearest pic of the other grey ship in the fleet, might help :)

BANM1407411.jpg

Also final image of the other new release

banm140739.jpg

That might be my new favourite :P

• Like 1

Have a buthcers at a well weathered F-14 or A-6.

I think (though it would be difficult in this scale)

That is the sort of patchwork grey that would look good.

Maybe mask with tiny squares & spray from different directions.

Or not, Maybe that way lies madness & OCD!

thanks Pete

yeah - I was going to do the whole masking lots of different panels in different shades of gray - like with the carrier - only more......hmm - maybe OCD and me might have something in common after all....

Ghost grey maybe? I think thats the base colour of F-22s and the like

t225_fbb87f6fc8ba80f1aa929b8d9be4c737.jp

Though I did a TOS Enterprise in Ghost and it looked more like dirty white, so I dunno, might be worth experimenting or doing some patches as suggested above :)

This is the clearest pic of the other grey ship in the fleet, might help :)

BANM1407411.jpg

Also final image of the other new release

banm140739.jpg

That might be my new favourite :P

OH YES!!! they have finally released it! I have been waiting for that baby since you showed me the first drawing of it I am sooo hanging for that ship (the blue one/ the command ship)

Looks pretty small though. I have the core ship and that's pretty small when compared to these battle ships and carriers In the series, you kind of get the impression of it being HUGE, but the above pi c looks small. But then, so does the Class1 and it's 80cm long!

That command ship though...oh man - I am so in love right now. That is jut SCREAMING to be detailed and lit.....I don't think I can get off my seat right now....sad :unsure::mental:

Oh that new blue one looks ace!

Glad to see another Yamato 2199 build, I caved recently and bought the long-and-pointy-blue-ship - Desula's Core Ship? - but haven't started it yet. I shall pay attention for detailing tips.

I think lighting the drone might be a bit too hard - it's really small - but what you could maybe do is mount an SMD LED at the very back of the vent/targetting recess thing (maybe in a drilled hole, maybe just on the surface) and then fill in with 5-minute epoxy to restore a smooth surface. Epoxy won't do the LED any harm.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

I have the same blue one as well. I'm wondering if the big ship it docks into (above) is the same scale - 1/1000? If so, then it would be a pretty decent sized kit, given the core ship is 23cm long

Either way, I so can't wait for it to be released.

I also have the green 3 decked carrier waiting to start and I have some great detailing ideas for that one. Then I'll build the core ship :D

My poor 'ol 52 will be neglected for a wile I think....

I'm like in a candy shop at the moment with these 2199 kits. I keep seeing these new releases or ships I haven't seen yet and I'm like "oh OK, just this one last one and then I'll call my "collection" complete. No wait, there's a new one coming out and I love the design of that one..OK, alright - maybe just that one too THEN I'm done..... .No, No...wait, looook at THAT! OMG - I MUST have it..."

I need intervention

• Like 1

BTW - that assault ship by Blueriver is incredible. I don't think he has a girlfriend....or a job - but man - what a great result of not to having to divide your time. the lighting is just insane. Gotta love Japanese modellers - they come out with some unbelievable builds!

After research I have some slightly annoying news, that blue ship picture is actual size :P

Bandai are doing some pocket kits alongside the big ones and thats a shot of the pocket version, which is annoying. I thought I'd screwed up the maths when it worked out as £2.50, but no.

So I'm afraid we're still waiting for one to scale with the rest of the fleet, hopefully we'll see it tail end of the year. in 1000 scale it'll be about 63cm long but pretty bulky with those wings. Probably end up a similar price to the Dreadnought.

I really want one :P

I have the same blue one as well. I'm wondering if the big ship it docks into (above) is the same scale - 1/1000? If so, then it would be a pretty decent sized kit, given the core ship is 23cm long

Either way, I so can't wait for it to be released.

I also have the green 3 decked carrier waiting to start and I have some great detailing ideas for that one. Then I'll build the core ship :D

My poor 'ol 52 will be neglected for a wile I think....

I'm like in a candy shop at the moment with these 2199 kits. I keep seeing these new releases or ships I haven't seen yet and I'm like "oh OK, just this one last one and then I'll call my "collection" complete. No wait, there's a new one coming out and I love the design of that one..OK, alright - maybe just that one too THEN I'm done..... .No, No...wait, looook at THAT! OMG - I MUST have it..."

I need intervention

If the signs are true it's going to get worse :P

Yamato 2199 is a remake of the original Yamato series from the 70s, but there are two more series and a bunch of one off films too and it looks a lot like they'll continue on and remake those. The second series is often cited as the best and as well as a good story it also showcases a rebuilt Earth Navy.

I like these alien ships and the style choices, but if they do make the second series then inevitably they'll have to release the full Earth fleet, plus a whole new bunch of alien ships to get smashed too :P

This is the Earth flagship from the second series, the Andromeda, designed to replace the Yamato and be superior in every way. I have the older kit but a modern version of this would be mind blowing

andromeda.jpg

44705.JPG

From all I've read both the remake series and these kits have sold well and made a profit, with luck this is just starting :)

• Like 1