GB Chat

Couple of questions before I start; first, anything I need to know about this kit before I dig in - problems, errors etc...? Second, I know that the little Wing Commander pennant is missing from the Xtradecals set courtesy of Tony Iveson's brilliant Lancaster: The Biography book, so does anyone have any top tips as to how they paint it in this scale?

Many thanks

Dom

Use coloured decal; blue for base, red over for stripe.

I didn't realise this had started. I must away and dig out a P/F 51 or an Apache.

Funny, I just pulled a 1/72 Hasegawa P-51B our of my stash ready to make. I find this kit my 'holy grail' of relaxation. Looks like perfect timing for this GB.

Will build it a P-51B 'Ill Wind' using Kits World decal set, PE seat belts, resin .50 barrel ends and resin wheels. A little scratch building to improve certain details will be made.

Decals here - http://www.plastic-hobby.com/image/product/800:600/jpg/38654/1-72-p-51b-mustang-nose-art-ill-wind-miss-dallas-shanghri-la-salem-representative.jpg

Funny, I just pulled a 1/72 Hasegawa P-51B our of my stash ready to make. I find this kit my 'holy grail' of relaxation. Looks like perfect timing for this GB.

Will build it a P-51B 'Ill Wind' using Kits World decal set, PE seat belts, resin .50 barrel ends and resin wheels. A little scratch building to improve certain details will be made.

Decals here - http://www.plastic-hobby.com/image/product/800:600/jpg/38654/1-72-p-51b-mustang-nose-art-ill-wind-miss-dallas-shanghri-la-salem-representative.jpg

sounds great go for it, you have plenty of time.

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately I'm not in this GB (too many others on!) but have a lovely 1/72 P-51C in the stash that I'd love to build some day - anyone know if there are decals for "Princess Elizabeth" in this scale?

Thanks in advance,

Dermot

Damn, I have one of the Dreaded Dragon P51s which I,ve been building on and off (mostly off) for a couple of years and stuck the wings and tailplanes on a couple of weeks ago before I saw this GB. It would have given me the motivation to finish it! Oh well I'll just have to wait for P51 Mustang STGB III.

Damn, I have one of the Dreaded Dragon P51s which I,ve been building on and off (mostly off) for a couple of years and stuck the wings and tailplanes on a couple of weeks ago before I saw this GB. It would have given me the motivation to finish it! Oh well I'll just have to wait for P51 Mustang STGB III.

Remove the tailplanes? I believe that deconstructed models have been eligible for other Group Builds!

Not that I'm playing devil's advocate or anything....

Trevor

If you can "deconstruct" the plane a wee bit then it should be ok in my opinion, there's always a reason to pull something apart!

there is plenty of time left in the GB....I hope :pray: for my sake, so the more the merrier.

At the worst the model won't be eligible if we decide to have a vote.

Will await my two lovely :sick::bleh: other hosts opinions.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I reckon it's well over 25 (can't find a percent symbol on this keyboard) finished, and anyway I'm expecting the Airfix Typhoon anyway now, and when that arrives every thing else will be forgotten! My wife says that I'm still a child at heart, I wonder where she got that idea.

I've been having a good look at the ones in progress and as there are so many that deserve replies, I will say it here. They are all looking wonderful and so many variations! Nice work guys.

Hey guys, i m sorry i could not join so far, still a lot of stuff going on in my life, which takes almost all my free time :( However, sometimes at work i have a bit of time.. and ofcourse, i have to search through the weirdest edges of internet.. so let me introduce you... german plane with british engine, made in spain, flying with british registration camouflaged and masked as U.S. warbird... the Bustang..
buchon.jpg

HA_1112_M1_L_W_Nr_139_Patton_Film.jpg

I m sorry, i just could not resist, hope you wont mind a bit of fresh funcy air here :)

• Like 1

I love it and wish someone would build it!!! Actually if I had the time I think it would be perfect for this build....it meets the 25% rating perfectly!! :P

And by the look of the photo it was not a one off!

Do you have any further info on it?

Though with my Photoshop skills I reckon given a a few hours I could come up with something just as bizarre.......maybe I have! ;)

One correction to the side view artwork for this 'Bustang' is the fin AND spinner colours should be red and yellow!!! A bit like the 357thFG!!. Charles Masefields proper P-51(N6356T) was finished the same way for the film Patton Lust for Glory. But I don't recall ever seeing them in the movie. Just an out take of a CASA 2-111(Heinkel 111) from the Bof B film.

MUSTANG RELATED!!!:

See link:http://www.airpixbycaz.co.uk/cazsite/aviation/warbirds/mustangs/rcaf-part01/must006.html

As mentioned in the above link it was seen as in picture at Gatwick. I was there the same day and recall it was clearing customs before flying of to Spain for filming. I never saw it again but I do beleive the aircraft is alive and well in South Africa.

Also several pics of the same aeroplane in its many guises:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-American-P-51D/2355109/&sid=a64c69ba3f4a79050e3d30c8e1f7d5e2

https://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en-GB&q=n6356t+mustang&gbv=2&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ei=F7jOU4StBfCw7AbBzIDoDw&ved=0CCsQsAQ

sadly i have no other info about these.. :(

a bit offtopic guys, did anyone hear about APV company? on scalemates there are listed few of their conversion products (like ha-1112 conversion 1/72), but google wont give me any info about this one.. so maybe anyone did hear about these?

Hello Chaps!

First post here (don't worry I'll introduce myself properly in a minute), I'm just wondering if it's too late for me to join in this GB? I've not taken part in anything like this before and in fact haven't made a model aircraft in nearly 20 years.

I hope you're ok with me jumping in, if nothing else I've already bought the model and decided on the below colourscheme from Rosarius' travelling circus!

german6.jpg

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Its never too late to start, you still have plenty of time, this GB doesn't finish until the beginning of October........I hope!

An interesting choice of schemes, will certainly stand apart from the others.

Oh and welcome back to modelling, hope you enjoy the build.

Hi guys,

I also have to pull out of this GB. I am at the moment in the first stages for a move to a new house. I don't want to start a new model if I can't finish it. I will try to finish the models I have in other GB's.

Good afternoon,

Anyone mind if I jump on this too? A mate brought the Tamiya Mustang at Flying Legends and has asked me to build it for him. Never built a 48th Mustang in 40 years of modeling, just not my subject, but thought I'd give it go. Going to be straight from the box, but a change of decals as I don't like the Tamiya ones. Going to use the AeroMaster P-51D Mustangs 360FS/356FG Red nose/Blue diamond set, looks plenty colourful.

I'll start a wip shortly...

• Like 1

I will be joining you, as soon as my PhotoBucket account resets next week.

My kit will be the Airfix starter set Mustang IV.

Pretty much an OOB build, but following the Firewall camo pattern.

I'll keep the photos until I can share them.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in with one of these:
IMG_7041s_zps098c1a0a.jpg

With the engine parts from one of these:

IMG_7044s_zps7de557c0.jpg

To be built as the first scheme from this (having already done four out of the other five options):

IMG_7046s_zps1595c7a0.jpg

And if time permits in mid-September I might add these:

IMG_7049s_zpsdd6dd022.jpg

The Matchbox one will be revisiting a kit I first did in 1986, and the Monogram one will be a strip and rebuild having been originally started in 1990 and neglected ever since.

• Like 1

Ok guys, realy thanks to all of you who are building all the great tamiya 1/48 mustangs.. !! Yesterday i was going to hobby shop, to pick some pre-ordered stuff. And i saw the Tuskagee P-51D Tamiya 1/48 boxing, and thanks to all of you i simply could not resist and bought one... :pilot::D

So as soon as i finish the two 109s for D-Day, i ll be back here with this one.. :) aaaand i got some nice kits-world decal set for mustangs, with like 10 very variable schemes and nice nosearts.. so i hope i can build a few of the Airfix´s as well yet :) Woooo now i just need to get some free time off work! :D

• Like 1