Ducati Triplets WIP, 748, 916 and 996

This was just meant to be a quick stash reduction job before restarting the Blackbird commission and the last 3 airframes. I will kick that off again on the 1st of July, up until then I will see how much more of this I can get done.

Swift Protar 1/9 Ducati 748SP
Revell 1/9 Ducati 916SP x2 kits
Revell 1/9 Ducati 996 Superbike

All 3 bikes are based around the origonal Ducati 916SP, there are various versions of this bike but I will specifically cover the 748, 916 and 996 World Superbike version.
All these bikes are basically the same, they just vary in bore and stroke, the 748 has smaller rear tyre, naturally Revell have used the same moulding across all 3 kits with some minor changes to the 996 Superbike spec m/c.
In reality the Superbike spec 996 would be vastly different, I will just work with what I have, getting all the carbon fibre correct will be the trick.

To get the smaller rear tyre and the yellow fairing I have utilised the Protar 748 kit, this was an incomplete eBay special. Yet again most of the parts here are the same moulds as the Revel kits, the only real difference with the Protar kit is the engine and swing arm have all been moulded as one, this makes for a rather ugly undefined bit of plastic that I would not have used anyway.
Simple solution was to just take the parts I need and add them to a standard 916 kit, the fairings are identical as is the frame and exhausts and most of the other parts.

Initially I have focused on the 748 and 916, the 996 has lots of subtle variations that will be a pain to do the same time as the 748 and 916. There variations became even greater once I had got together some reference images, I have basically ignored the kit recommended colours as they are for the most part wrong for all the kits.

Usual start point is the engine(748, 916), base coat of Tamiya XF-16 Aluminium and a specific mix of paints to get the metallic green for the engines casings. Engines have all been given a grey wash to bring out the detail.
102_8178.jpg
Dry clutch baskets, painted initially with Tamiya gloss red then over coated with Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent Red to get the right effect.
102_8184.jpg
The kit includes some timing belts which are a nice touch, you will not see them when the cover is on though. I have added the racing clutch cover, back in the day most people added the lightweight clutch cover to their bikes to make them look a bit more trick, as you do.
102_8197.jpg
Belt cover in place.
102_8213.jpg
Next up were the swing arm and suspension units, the 996 will be a carbon effect so that will be done later.
102_8227.jpg
With that done I could attach the rear wheel, I blended up my own colour for the wheels, the kit wheels and frame have a metallic ish moulded colour but it was not right.
102_8232.jpg
102_8233.jpg
The front forks were a real pity as the fork leg is the wrong diameter and if you just painted it silver it would look naff. I had told myself I would not do any scratch building but I could not leave it. I have various bits of steel tube and the solution came from and old telescopic aerial. One of the lengths was a perfect fit over the existing tube, simple but worthwhile solution.
102_8239.jpg
Fork assembly coming together.
102_8241.jpg
102_8245.jpg
Next up is the fuel injection/carbs, not really sure of the accuracy here so I have just gone with it as it is, they look ok to me.
102_8254.jpg
Another nice detail is the various lengths of hose, I made a start on these, there are also further hoses for the brakes as well.
102_8258.jpg
With the fiddly bits done I could get the engine halves assembled.
102_8262.jpg
102_8263.jpg
The frame is simple enough the 748 and 916 are the same, the 996 has some difference in paint finish, mainly a bit of carbon fibre effect here and there.
102_8297.jpg
With the frames ready I could start to assemble the bikes.
102_8278.jpg
102_8282.jpg
102_8288.jpg
102_8292.jpg
Well this is where I am up to now, with the 748 and 916 assembled I can start on the 996, I will bring it up to the same point. That will take a few days, after that I will get started on the exhausts and anything else I can do before I get back on the Blackbird commission.

It may be a while before the next WIP.

Thanks for looking.

Danny.

"In Wildness Is the
Preservation of the World"

http://www.modelmasteruk.com/
Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 2

Just a quick update to the WIP, installed the finished radiator and cooling fan, had me scratching my head a bit here as the bottom hose pipe to the radiator was a long way out, about 5mm to short. I thought it was my mistake but I double checked and all 3 bikes are the same, Revell obviously never bothered to build the kit when they made it. happy.gif
Straight forward fix was to cut the pipe on the straight length and sleeve the gap with some heat shrink rubber tube, I had a few bits in me lighting kit spares. Once it was all in place I got the hair dryer out and shrunk to pipe, as its rubber pipe the effect worked out well.
102_8298.jpg
102_8300.jpg
Next up the exhausts, these come in a pre chromed finish, the silencers should be a matt aluminium finish. The pipes are light gold tempered colour after use so I mixed up some metallic aluminium and clear yellow thinned to a filter then srayed the pipes over to get the colour I wanted. From there I applied some clear red and blue to create a temper around the headers and the bends.
102_8304.jpg
102_8305.jpg
Exhausts assembled to the frame and engine.
102_8306.jpg
102_8311.jpg
102_8319.jpg
102_8325.jpg
Still a long way to go, I have been working on the 998 as well while doing these two, back on the Blackbird commission tomorrow so I will box them up for later in the year.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Well a bit more progress now on the 1st two bikes, I have decided to attack the 966 when these two are finished, not to sure when that will be. Decals have been added to both bikes and the fairings have been painted, I found some colour matched touch up paint on eBay and just thinned to get it through the airbrush. The Yellow mudguard is the 748 and the 916 is the black/carbon, you may well notice that the number plates are the wrong way around, I have just lifted and moved the decals to the correct bike.

.102_8330.jpg102_8334.jpg102_8335.jpg102_8336.jpg102_8337.jpg102_8342.jpg102_8343.jpg102_8344.jpg102_8348.jpg102_8352.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic

As you say the baisc kits are just that basic but with some carefull attention to detail and painting they can, as you have proved look good. Congratulations they are coming along very well indeed. I've got a couple too that I started a while back. I must return and try again.

Colin

As you say the baisc kits are just that basic but with some carefull attention to detail and painting they can, as you have proved look good. Congratulations they are coming along very well indeed. I've got a couple too that I started a while back. I must return and try again.

its a deceptively good bike kit that gets better as you go.

Thanks for looking.

Dan

Colin

Well guys after a fair amount of effort that is the first two bikes completed, that just leaves the 996 to do, i will return to that in a few weeks.
Managed to get them finished in-between preparing all the bits for my remaining Blackbird commission, that is now well under way and I will do an update for that this weekend.
Been a nice little break doing something different in between all the Blackbirds, just the 3 left to do.happy.gif
102_8375.jpg
Two frames completely finished with all the fiddly bits in place.
102_8368.jpg
Fairings painted.
102_8371.jpg

Completed Ducati 916.
102_8389.jpg
102_8388.jpg
102_8380.jpg
102_8387.jpg

Completed Ducati 748.
102_8391.jpg
102_8397.jpg
102_8393.jpg
102_8392.jpg

102_8398.jpg
102_8404.jpg

Thanks for looking

On with the Blackbirds. happy.gif

Danny

Edited by danimalmagic
  • Like 1

Fantastic Danny.

I've often wondered how well these 1/9s build up, now I know!

Great work.

Cheers mate, i thought they would be a quick build but to do them right took a few weeks and alot of hours, its a good kit, much better that revels 1/9 RC-211V I built.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955110-19-honda-rc-211v-revell-wip/

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234955448-19-honda-rc-211v-complete/

Thanks for looking

Danny

• 1 month later...

Well guys since finishing the YF-23 and while I have the time I moved back on to my 3 Ducati 1/9 bikes. I had already completed the 748 and 916, the 996 called for a few changes in painting etc so it was easier just to come back to it.

It is essentially the same kit as the other two with the exception of slick tyres, different wheels, a belly pan at the base of the fairing and decals, in reality they would be vastly different.
The 996 decals were pretty grim so I left out the carbon fibre effect as they would look silly, the carbon fibre mesh was way out of proportion.
I chose instead to add a drop of gold to some satin black and do the carbon effect that way. Much better in my opinion, you can’t really see in the pictures. I have had a fair few Carbon Fibre Mufflers etc and this is much closer than the decals.

Ducati 996 assembled.
102_8926.jpg
102_8923.jpg
102_8934.jpg
Ducati 996 Complete.
102_8956.jpg
102_8953.jpg
102_8967.jpg
102_8963.jpg
102_8957.jpg

I will post the completed 3 bikes on ready for inspections shortly.

Thanks for Looking.

Danny