1:35 Dragon Tiger I 'Wittmann's Tiger'

After a little break from modelling I was going to start a massive 1:24 Fw190, but I don't think I'd finish it before the end of this group build, so I thought I'd pull this one of the stash.

Dragon 1:35 Tiger Late Production 6253

IMG_5818_zpsdac93b23.jpg

Beware, the mediocre artwork hides the monster kit -

IMG_5823_zpsbf4352b1.jpg

Yes, the box is full.

IMG_5821_zps3b9ad5b9.jpg

There's a few sprues.

IMG_5820_zpscbe6bd51.jpg

And a load of brass bits, photo etch, a turned barrel and even a bucket to hang off rear.

Should be fun!

Edited by Jherek
  • Like 1

I'm building one of these at the moment. You will need to add Zimmerite however as all "Late" Tiger1's had the paste applied. With some Friul metal tank tracks (those in the kit have solid guide horns), you can really 'gild the lily'

It's a great kit and you will enjoy every minute of it. Look forward to seeing your progress with it.

Gary

Edited by redcap
  • Like 1

Thanks Gary, I've ordered the 'Atak 35032 Zimmerit' from Poland, that should arrive next week. I am tempted with some Friul tracks.

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, I've ordered the 'Atak 35032 Zimmerit' from Poland, that should arrive next week. I am tempted with some Friul tracks.

ATAK - Yes very nice Zim set indeed. I used the 'Cavalier' resin Zim set but either of these two sets are excellent. Get the Friuls - you won't regret it as they make a BIG difference on a Tiger 1!

Gary

ATAK - Yes very nice Zim set indeed. I used the 'Cavalier' resin Zim set but either of these two sets are excellent. Get the Friuls - you won't regret it as they make a BIG difference on a Tiger 1!

Gary

Ok, You've persuaded me. Now I need to decide while drive sprockets and idlers to use.

A lot of parts there ... how many in the Fw190 box?

It should build up nicely, as you noticed there are duplicate parts due to it including parts from an earlier version Tiger. I'm not familiar with your build style, but if you want further accuracy you might be interested in this list:

http://tiger1.info/models/products/DR6253

regards,

Jack

Quite a few, but I planned to scratch build a load of detail for the Fw190 and I'm a bit of noob when it comes to scratch building.

It should build up nicely, as you noticed there are duplicate parts due to it including parts from an earlier version Tiger. I'm not familiar with your build style, but if you want further accuracy you might be interested in this list:

http://tiger1.info/models/products/DR6253

regards,

Jack

Thanks, that helps already. My build style is have fun and don't worry, but I'd like to do this kit justice and will have a look at those pages.

A few late night snapshots before I go to bed -

IMG_5824_zps822effa1.jpg

Torsion bars and bits

IMG_5827_zps7cf1a223.jpg

final drive housing added.

IMG_5828_zpse3ce1d21.jpg

Road wheels, drive sprocket and idlers (small) assembled. They won't be going on the vehicle until both have been painted.

• Like 2

I left it a little late last night to update this thread, so here it is -

IMG_5875_zps6c4390dd.jpg

Back and sides added. The corners need re-gluing when I can fine my bigger clamps. The rear will remain bare until the resin zimmerit arrives.

I trimmed off the tabs on the sides as per tiger.info.

IMG_5877_zpsa94dcd23.jpg

More bits awaiting. Finally, a chance to use my new PE bending tool! I made my first mistake on the exhaust stack as a used the wrong part, so I will need add a plasticard disc on top of each one.

I'll probably leave them off the vehicle till it has been painted and weathered.

I need to prime and paint the radiators and fans before I stick them in the hull. Silver for the fans, black for the rads, rot-braun primer for the sides, but what about underneath the fans? black?

That is a nice looking kitten. I have always liked the look of the Tiger and Panther.

I have got a few modern Dragon kits in my shelf of shame. I still need to finish those, but they are very complicated to finish and have loads of options. I hope to do on this year.

Cheers,

• Like 1

IMG_5896_zpsf9a6f5b8.jpg

Time to make some catches.

IMG_5897_zps2d82b9c4.jpg

Did I mention they where minute? I forgot that DML likes you to suffer for your art, that's why they deliberately mis-number the parts in the instructions :banghead:

IMG_5899_zpsb92e9d3a.jpg

Working catches.

Easy.

Just wait for the photo etch and then the swearing starts.

i don't think these kits are difficult, maybe challenging. The instructions don't help but you can adjust the difficulty by adding or ignoring the PE.

• Like 1

That is a nice looking kitten. I have always liked the look of the Tiger and Panther.

I have got a few modern Dragon kits in my shelf of shame. I still need to finish those, but they are very complicated to finish and have loads of options. I hope to do on this year.

Cheers,

I too have have a half finished Stug III on the shelf of shame. It's what happens when you marry a mediocre kit to third party PE that's designed for a different kit.

I hope that a nice build there and supportive comments will result in a finished model :)

• Like 1

I believe there are some 1124 parts to this kit nearly as many as the real one!

I do not envy you this build Jherek - Good Luck

I would love to build one of these but realistically would need to be reincarnated, next time around I'll build this in my teens !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I would love to build one of these but realistically would need to be reincarnated, next time around I'll build this in my teens !

Cheers Pat

It's amazing what you can do with a magnifying loupe. Oh and don't drink for a week beforehand.

nice build but my eyes are blurry looking at the bits you've done wow!

Thanks. My eyes were blurry to start with :)

So how do I organize myself with lots of bits, with a sprue filing system -

IMG_5870_zps87363c33.jpg

The Atak zimmerit arrived from Poland, so I have started applying it -

IMG_5908_zps06b47875.jpg

It really is fantastic stuff, highly recommended!

IMG_5904_zpsd2ece058.jpg

IMG_5901_zps100b3bab.jpg

It comes with two styles of resin mantle? which are very nice.

IMG_5902_zpsfbd51294.jpg

I've been jumping around a bit on the build. Here is the main gun assembly.

IMG_5907_zps31724c21.jpg

Some detail added to the top deck. But it not stuck down yet. The rear fan hatches can be opened.

IMG_5911_zps4082a041.jpg

Underneath we have the fans and rads. now painted.

IMG_5912_zps824a1040.jpg

The fuel tanks are actually hidden by this wooden board thingy. I'd like to know what that's about.

I've done the engine compartment in primer red as alot of late tigers came out the factory like that.

IMG_5909_zps4f91a413.jpg

Not quite the last item of aftermarket that I will add to this tank, but these MG34 barrels will give me more detail.

Next I'm going to finish applying the zimmerit to the hull and turret.

Thanks for watching!

• Like 6

Ok, a little update from the weekend -

IMG_5914_zps77014eb8.jpg

MG34 with aber brass barrel.

IMG_5915_zps8ab861a6.jpg

Zimmerit all done, it needs a bit of filler and fettling here and there.

IMG_5916_zps3e71943e.jpg

Side profile. Note the cast resin escape hatch and view ports which come with the zimmerit kit.

I couldn't bend the tiny PE fender sides with my tool so I opted for the plastic version. I'm using the RB flip, I don't know if It would be easier with a clamp type PE tool.

If I get round to it I may cut off some of the plastic and replace it with PE.

• Like 6

That is looking very good.

I have used the Atak zimmerit a few times myself. I know it isn't always easy to place, but yours look great.

Those MG barrels are looking very good.Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1