Research Help request - TV21 Mag Story (Fireball XL5)

Hi Folks

A "Deep Delve into the archives" request here. I have a hankering to scratchbuild a spacecraft from an old (yet well remembered) Fireball XL5 story from the TV21 Magazine (late 60s). I was wondering if there was any chance that there may be a collector who can help me with images/scans/pointers to help in my endeavours?

The spaceship(s) I'm after getting details of were a group of antagonists themed on the 'Sword of Damocles' idea. They used all black spacecraft, sleek and shiny. They had a logo that (if memory serves me well) may have been a sword in a circle?

I'm interested in getting any info I can so that I can design a 3D model with a view to building it over the next few years.

I shall also post on Fanderson (once I'm registered there), in the hope that there might also be someone there who can help.

Any help/suggestions/materials/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

FAB y'all

Kev

I remember that story -- and the ships. Large and black, with cylindrical hull and big, flat boxy engines on curved pylons, IIRC. Plus a T-tail? Will have to look and see if I can find any pictures. One of Mike Noble's excellent depictions of an XL5-era spacecraft that was pleasantly different from the WSP stuff, but of similar design ethos. Good story, too.

You could take a trip to the RPF website. There are many knowledgeable people over there.

Anthony.

Thanks Anthony

At first I wondered what the Rwandan Patriotic Front would be able to do to help.... then I realised my schoolboy error! ;)

the RPF site looks useful in this quest, great suggestion and much appreciated. Will post the question there later today.

Cheers

Kev

I remember that story -- and the ships. Large and black, with cylindrical hull and big, flat boxy engines on curved pylons, IIRC. Plus a T-tail? Will have to look and see if I can find any pictures. One of Mike Noble's excellent depictions of an XL5-era spacecraft that was pleasantly different from the WSP stuff, but of similar design ethos. Good story, too.

Thanks Tarkas

I would be grateful foir any help with this, as all I have is vague picture in my ageing memory. Your description seems spot on. I also think that there was a collar on the main body, vented and lit in green? I was struggling to remember the engine pods and tail, though!

BTW - nice avatar - that brings back a LOT of memories, too! LOL! But given your username, shouldn't you have a pic of the renowned Thark, Tars Tarkas? ;)

Cheers

Kev

that looks like it would be a cool scratchbuild!

Hi Hendie

Yes - this project looks like it will be real fun! (slaps himself on the back with the masochism stick... repeatedly! ;) )

So far, the estimated length of the ship is around 80 metres (based on comparison with XL5) and I anticipate doing it in 1/144th which would mean a model length of just under 22". Span from outside edge of engine pods, around 12". Height from top of dorsal pod to bottom of ventral pod around 5". Sizes are approx for now, until I get the 3D model done and cast a Mk1 eyeball over the shapes. Different views from different parts of the comic strip show differences that are irreconcileable in a build, so 'artistic licence' will be exercised. :)

And then... once I have the shapes, I have to decide whether to go 'balsa or boxwood' former and grp skin, or (my preferred option) plastic ribs and plasticard skin. Decisions, decisions....

Kev

what software are you using for the 3D model?

I think I'd go plastic and plasticard - especially if you're thinking of opening up the hull ports for some added visual interest.

Thanks again guys :)

Roy - EMA looks pretty good, thanks for the link.

Hendie - I'm using Moray as the modeller and POV-Ray to render. Final composite photos will be done in Photoshop, with space backgrounds coming from Celestia screenshots. I may see if I can get an AutoCAD plug-in to export the final model to DWG format so I can get some plans plotted. I may open the side panels and make a grapple - I wonder if anyone makes 144th spacemen? Or perhaps a conversion from Prieser figures could be done? Who knows? I'll worry about those questions when I have a spacecraft! ;)

Kev

POIFECT!!!! Thanks Anthony - they look ideal. Sand off the shoulder pads, round off the helmets and they could be good to go!

Link squirelled away for future purchase.

Much appreciated.

Kev

• 6 years later...