1/12 GT-40 MKII

Presented for your critical review is my 2011 build of Trump's infamous GT.

I tried hard to correct the kit's disappointments and scratched some additional detail. I did not use any PE upgrades or resin tires. Lowering the ride height and scratching a more representative rear suspension were first on my list-both highly visible.

As usual, I present my models in an 'as raced' condition, as though I were the vintage racer of today using an old LeMans warhorse in my own livery. That means road grime, bug spatters, rocks in hot tires, oil sweat and heat fading. Along with a scruffy cockpit with exposed wires and mechanic's heel marks everywhere.

Bouquets or bashes most welcomed. :winkgrin:

COVERASmall_zps445cb724.jpg

P9210029ASmall_zpse46adda4.jpg

21Small_zpsdc4870df.jpg

23Small_zps7491b3bb.jpg

GSmall_zpse905c549.jpg

P9010005Small_zpsfed2f307.jpg

51Small_zps03feccb6.jpg

50Small_zps712a7116.jpg

JSmall_zps67920bd0.jpg

LSmall_zps4b1d1e9f.jpg

28MediumSmall_zps8ead0874.jpg

Edited by Codger
  • Like 10

Great looking model. Love the colour scheme and the realistic appearance. The work on the ride height paid off, it's got the right sit and look to it.

When the kit turns out like this, it's very easy to love it...................................

Perhaps not so easy when faced with the work to get it that way..........................

Dave

You're too kind guys-not nearly as good as you all flatter it.

One of these days I'll dig out pics of the 935 I did in 'as raced' condition-in 1989 (a quarter century ago!). No PE or resin then and my hack job looks like it... :dunce:

Brilliant, all the flaws with this kit put me off, your fine work is forcing me to rethink.

By all means-go for it. Be glad to give you a heads-up on the rough and wonky spots. ;)

My absolute favourite car of all time, and your build certainly does it justice, it looks fantabulous! I am forever being tempted to buy this kit, but I confess I do not know what the flaws are, or if they even really matter. Anyway, that is all irrelevant, as funds will not allow such a purchase at this present time.

Keep up the brilliant work codger, and carry on with the Roller as that to is also brilliant.

Fox.

Fox,

We're alike on the all-time fave list. As such, you NEED this kit.

As I told Mencie earlier, if you decide to get one (better hurry, I read they've stopped production) I'd be glad to show you what I found lacking and what I did about it. Your Rolls is far more of a project so you should have little pain with this one.

Yes, I work on the Roller daily but 'life' gives me interruptions. I'll catch up posting soon but my pace is glacial as I'm bogging down with details. :angry:

Many thanks for liking my work and the kind words.

• 4 weeks later...

You have managed to get this beast of a kit look very nice, and still keeping those tyres that look so horrible in the box. I have seen several builds but most let down by the poor tyres, but here they are not creating that much of a problem. Very well done!

Those tyres was one major ting that put me off building mine when I got it, I have since got the replacement tyres, and seeing this makes me think I should perhaps look at the kit again.

• Like 1

Thank you Jorgen.

Actually, I took the tires to my wire wheel grinder and carefully worked them down to really worn race tires-nearly slicks. I softened the shoulders that way too. Then redid the letters in tan (the way they really are) and dullcoted and grimed them after painting the blue streaks. I understand not everyone likes models with worn parts but it worked perfectly for what I tried to portray. Also saved a lot of money by not buying the resin tires or the KA detail sets.

A race worn finish usually adds to the model, if it's well done and looks quite real that is. Yours is one of them. Maybe the softening of the tyre shoulders made a lot of difference, something did at least, as I thought the look you have achieved would not be possible with the kit tyres.

Yeah, money, tell me... I bought the largest KA set and the Icon tyre set. While I'm very happy with Icon tyres (without having yet built the model) the KA set only delivered some things really worthwhile. Their resin seats looks just as off as the kits (if not more), just on opposite sides of the scale...

• Like 1