Howdy all.

Hopefully you will not mind someone from over the pond joining you in this build. I plan to make one of Eduard's little gems in the form of Mk.IXe, MK329, flown by W/Cdr J. E. Johnson, CO of No. 144 Wing, June, 1944. Yes this is the one from the Eduard Royal Class with the beer kegs, who does not like the idea of inflight beverages!

14559699195_20638d4429.jpg

I will be using the Mk.IXe over-trees, with bits from the royal class box as needed. I like this one, and it will be my second spitfire with invasion stripes. The first one was...,not good, so hopefully I am a little more experienced. I have already built one in Czech markings from the Eduard "Boys are Back' edition and it went together wonderfully, so I do not see any problems.

I am sure everyone is aware of this kit, as a few others are building them, so forgive me for not posting shots of the sprue trees.

More photos of the build to follow.

Thanks.

Edited by robertgreen94
  • Like 4

Hi Robert.

Great idea for a project. We can never have too many Spitfires!!! I look forward to seeing this one progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Looking forward to following along, you can never have too many Spitfires, especially Eduard ones carrying beer!

I have the Royal Class set in the stash and am tempted to build the same, but i have a few projects on the go already..

NIck

What's wrong with having multiple kits on the go, I currently have 4 on the go, i think. The Spitfire, Tamiya's 1/32 Corsair (primer stage), 1970 Challenger T/A (waiting for clear) and Eduard's Mig 21 (waiting for primer). As you can see i have a bottleneck in painting, but otherwise the more the merrier :thumbsup:

Edited by robertgreen94

Nothing wrong with multiple kits on the go (currently a Tamiya 1/32 Zero, Airfix FW190 and an almost finished, but cant quite be arsed Academy Helldiver). I really want to start another Eduard Spitfire, but i rarely get time to build these days and i really would like to see the Zero and Helldiver finished soon...

Plus my 2 oldest boys have been bitten by the bug, so i'm helping one do a Typhoon diorama (very exciting, with Tiger tanks and rockets and stuff) and the other with a Dambuster diorama.

So i'll watch your build with envy, and look forward to one day being able to build mine :lol:

Nick

So i decided to add some bits from my spitfire stash to 'glam' the build up. I am not sure 22" Dubs would look good, so i decided on the 5 spoke brassin wheels, the gun bay kit, radio and exhaust stacks along with the kegs and sipper tanks.

14373245957_463abf4cf4.jpg14373075019_8f28900a9a.jpg

14559681275_fd8619be7e.jpg

Hopefully the thumb will not be part of the build :-)

Ok, on with the build. I am using an over trees box which is a little bare as one can see, but with all the extras you get in the royal class its enough.

14372996020_31c94aa097.jpg

The first few steps have been put together and primed ready for the interior green. I use Alclad micro primer for all my small stuff as its as thin as silk and hard as rock. I have yet to have an issue with it not covering anything, and I have yet to find a paint that reacts to it.

14579778023_c34cebe201.jpg

more to follow with close ups, once they are painted green.

Come to think of it, maybe I need 24" chrome alloys like these

14344180937_ab1449cd4d_n.jpg or better yet 14550773933_4a9c3993ee_n.jpg

and dark tinted glass.....but that might not be so in-tune with the build, so maybe next time. :coolio:

Edited by robertgreen94
  • Like 1

Update on the build. So far I have most of the cockpit done, just need to add seat belts and put this together. Unfortunately I am at a standstill in painting as I managed to ram the needle through the tip and split the nib, so another is on order. I did manage to add some wash and dry brushing that i think will look good. Given the small space I don't want to go nuts her adding every buckle and switch.

14558850692_d3c0af4c24.jpg14373089688_02a280e7a2.jpg

14579783903_684c316dab.jpg14373083219_4ee9a21801.jpg

I will tone down the wash a little and the flash on the camera has brought it out more than you can tell in normal light, and once its in the spitfire it will look ok.

more to follow.

• Like 4

thank you all for the comments.

I was wondering, could you use the rims on Torque Thrust rims on a spitfire, and I imagined a 1:24 scale spitfire, with the rims, lowered of course, but just enough to clear the prop. Tinted windshield and two tone metallic paint with pin striping. Lots of bling and some fluffy dice in the cockpit.

Then i realized that while i could do this, a) it would not count for the build, unless I put invasion stripes on, but that would clash with the metallic green; and B) I think the model purists would be up in arms and require my head on a spike :o

While I am waiting for the airbrush part i may have to try and mock this up in photoshop

• Like 3

Small update as I am still waiting on the part for the airbrush. Working on the photoshop 'bling spit' so that will come later, however I was able to complete the cockpit and start on some of the other parts.

14419113289_6b51dce38b.jpg14582685186_334a0b32be.jpg

These two show the two halves and the dry brushing. I did not bother adding stapes to the peddles and I was not sure how much anyone would see, and I am not after '1:1' scale perfection, as I can't afford it, its supposed to be a fun hobby.

14419294067_dc799ec9ed.jpg
This shows how it will look when put together.

I started on the radio compartment and cut our the opening in the wall. However the window PE is smaller than the opening, go figure, and so i had to add some plastic to build the sided back up so the frame would not fall through.

14582678626_29894151b0.jpg
Looking at the PE (or should I say oragarmi) I have to wonder how this will fold in to something usable, without me either bending it into one big ball of metal or throwing it out the window... we shall see.

The resin parts are wonderfully cast, so hopefully I can do them justice.

more to come.

• Like 2

It's intresting to see all the Eduard Spitfires come together in this G/B and the different aproaches to construction and painting modellers have . Hope the Etchagarmi goes well.

Looking at the PE (or should I say oragarmi) I have to wonder how this will fold in to something usable, without me either bending it into one big ball of metal or throwing it out the window... we shall see.

I admire your patience with all this extra PE. I must admit I struggled with just the bit provided with the bog standard late edition version let alone all these extras you can get. I hope it goes well and not out the window!

Edited by PlaStix

Hey Robert

I hope you don't mind me doing this but I'm building the same kit with the resin radio compartment and I've had to do some fettling to get it to fit without distorting the PE.

I glued the resin sidewalls onto the fuselage halves as separate items (the instructions will have you gluing the resin bits together) and I cut and scrapped away any excess resin and thinned the plastic on the inside of the fuselage half (See photo)..

P1010788_zps73f97d5f.jpg

....but it does fit...

P1010790_zps4dda3ff7.jpg

HTH

Iain

PS The rest of you build is looking superb!!

PPS The resin gun bays are easy to build and fit like a glove

Thanks for the update on the resin/PE as I was expecting the fit to not be an issue, so hopefully I will remember to make the light change. However I was looking at the gun bays and wondering what I got myself into, but glad to see that they fit well.

Well since its morning here on the west coast, I need food and coffee before dive into this again.

• Like 1

Hey

Just a quick one for you I finished the radio compartment this afternoon and found that the support that sits underneath the antenna is almost impossible to see once installed (which is a pain in itself). If you do choose to use it however I found that soldering the joints gave a much stronger finish.This is the bit I mean...

P1010794_zps2a181a23.jpg

TBH once the radio is in you can't see much of it either...

P1010798_zps18d7cd89.jpg

P1010800_zpsa0bd5e4e.jpg

Cheers mate

Iain

• Like 2

• 9 months later...