Pilot lands faulty fighter jet on a stool at sea

jenko

I was part of a team that guided a Chinook that had lost one of its rear landing gear (just after we had repaired the last one that the aircrew had broken) onto a jack, quite scary having this big lump of metal inches from your face trying to land on what is roughly something the size of your fist.

You've got to wonder how often this happens if they have built a dedicated piece of kit for this very emergency...

Think about International Rescue... they had devices that were only ever used once for things which were totally unlikely. :D

• Like 2

In my 62 years of flying, I have only had one gear problem...with a Rockwell 112TCA. The nose gear would not lock down and the potential; buyer in the right seat would not shut up, what a combination. After having all f the solo students land, I made one pass at the runway with zero thrust; 1200 rpm and 12" mp and prop full course...to determine where the engine would be shut down on final.

On final over the first approach lights, mixture to idle cut-off, prop full course. Mains touch smoothly and the prop positioned horizontally with the Start button. There was a very slight "Thump" under the nose followed by the "Squeak" of the nose wheel and a non-event.. Had the nose gear not locked in that nano-second the damage would have been very minimal

The down lock springs were twice as long as the new set that we installed the next day...and they had a mere 300 hours total time on them. And the yappy buyer did buy the airplane.

Barney

• Like 1

Considering the final drop that the Harrier makes during the final 20 or so feet of landing I would have thought that the danger of structural damage and more importantly danger to the pilot caused by the `stool' would have far outweighed the danger of landing on the nose,....but what do I know and thankfully all ended well.

Cheers

Tony