North American Harvard IIa - 1/32nd scale

I'm building the KH Texan as a Harvard IIa as based at 20 SFTS, Cranborne, S Rhodesia in 1943/4. She will be finished as EX490 - there's a very good colour picture of her for reference purposes:

colourharvards_zps620aa27a.jpg

and my father flew her during his training phase on a QGH controlled descent through cloud exercise:

DSCN4203_zps0129e842.jpg

I'm using the AlleyCat resin canopy set for the corrected canopy, Eduard seat belts, AMS resin's 9' corrected props, Airscale's instrument dials for the corrected instrument panels that I'll be making and SAC's whitemetal undercarriage legs:

DSCN4216_zpsff192243.jpg

I'm also having Dad sitting waiting patiently for some essential maintenance to be done:

DSCN4219_zps24e264d7.jpg

I'm opening up the nose area to show the engine, hydraulic lines, oil tank etc which is otherwise completely wasted in this kit.

More soon.

Max

• Like 3

Oooohhh very nice, I am going to be cracking on with my NZ Harvard once I have finished the Beetle. Will watch with interest. I must get myself some instrument decals (seeing your piccies reminded me)

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge

I started with the P&W engine, I found the whole assembly quite tricky to get my head around, with many senior moments happening but I knew that it had to go together with everything orientated properly. The kit has been criticised rightly for the moulding marks and gates etc., those on the engine halves are especially horrible:

DSCN3948_zps84c26c2a.jpg

A while cleaning up, including cutting off location pins (which I've done a lot of with this kit) and the halves fitted well enough. I had already decided that KH's moulding of the plugs and plug leads wasn't good enough:

DSCN3953_zpsaa5224d5.jpg

so those came off to be replaced by plugs of stretched sprue and wire leads:

DSCN3978_zps43343e03.jpg

DSCN4038_zpsa80ab5fb.jpg

Fitting the exhaust collector ring and its cover etc had me scratching my head, again correct orientation?! Another place where, once I'd decided what was where, to cut off location pins which I find helps me locate things more easily:

DSCN4037_zpsaf5464ba.jpg

DSCN3994_zps3ed68484.jpg

DSCN3995_zps7a478d78.jpg

Finally the engine assembly was completed but not without a lot of thought and dry fitting:

DSCN4069_zps4a8c8846.jpg

DSCN4068_zpsa164b82e.jpg

DSCN4200_zps87b47df3.jpg

The cockpit assembly next.

Max

• Like 3

Thanks Woody, modelling planes that Dad flew is part of my "theme"!

The cockpit framework was another area that I took my time over, it needed careful thought because the instructions can be quite confusing, including the typo for item "E51" in step 3, half of a fire extinguisher which mates with B12 - the item is actually E15. I'm not sure about the curious semi-circular item behind the aft cockpit (item D31), I think it's related to the blind-flying hood so I'm probably going to add the hood at a later date. The whole structure I thought was well engineered and fitted together very well but it's worth checking that all the location holes on the side structures are drilled all the way through before final assembly:

DSCN4206_zpsd73f5a12.jpg

DSCN4207_zpsb472bcf2.jpg

DSCN4208_zps297f5dd7.jpg

DSCN4209_zpsb10ac497.jpg

I used the Eduard seat belts since the KH ones were a little basic:

DSCN4205_zps04e9df95.jpg

I've added the internal ribbing detail with micro-strip - with the canopy as open as I want it to be I think cockpit detail is essential.

DSCN4220_zpsfcb83704.jpg

This shot illustrates how the front compartment has been opened up by removal of the side and top panels and gives some idea of the space to be filled with cabling, hydraulic lines, engine support bearers etc.

DSCN4222_zpse2b46fa2.jpg

This is all on-going work, as is the hood for the rear seat position when doing blind flying.

Max

• Like 3

Looking good there......very nice work so far...how do you plan to tackle the canopy framing ? I might just need some pointers there too.....when I get around to an RNZAF build down the road...

rgds

mr b

Thanks Mr B. Regarding the canopy, AlleyCat's resin one comes with both internal and external masks but have you seen Paul Budzik's latest video on LSP, it's in the Tips section. Very helpful indeed, may well follow this master class.

Regards

Max

Looking great so far,...I`ll be following this with interest,.....did you know that A2Zee Models do a resin canopy set for the Harvard, as opposed to the post war AT-6 canopy in the kit? Also the Rhodesian Harvard`s usually had the code numbers repeated in large figures on top of the wings,....sometimes in red and these were located within the yellow area on top of the wings.

Keep up the great work

Tony

PS- I`ve always wondered whether Canadian built Harvard`s had British Interior Grey Green interiors or was something else used such as US Interior Green?

PPS- Oops,...hadn`t noticed that you already knew about the A2Zee canopy,...sorry!

Edited by tonyot

Thanks Tony, the AlleyCat/A2Zee canopy is very good. Funnily enough I only discovered about the fuselage number being repeated on the wing last week, the picture I saw had it on the port wing but I don't know if it was on the starboard too?

Regards

Max

That semi-circular thingy in the rear cockpit is a gun mount. Harvards could be used for gunnery training by rotating the rear seat around and sliding the canopy sections under the fixed centre canopy. I'm not certain how often it was done, but the capability was build into the aircraft. And Tony, the Canadian Harvards I've seen are in RAF interior green, not USAAF.

Thanks for confirming RAF Interior Grey Green Jessica,.......Max, if you send me a PM with your e mail address I`ll send some Rhodesian Harvard pics which might help,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the info about the semi-circular thingy Jessica, glad I decided to take mine out the other day to make room for the hood (in progress!).

Tony, PM on its way, I look forward to the pics.

Regards

Max

Hi Max. This is looking fantastic so far. Given your last project in the TTGB, I am sure this build will be exemplary. Following with interest.

Tom.

Thanks Tom, some very kind words. This Harvard is the beginning of a slippery slope - my first 1/32nd scale build but I'm loving the extra detail that I can add, so Revell's Tiger Moth is next!

Regards

Max

You're going to be shocked at the difference 40 years of experience makes to the mouldings.

You're right Jessica, my dad made one of these years ago so I've got a "feel" for it, but "making the difference" is what I enjoy most in modelling.

Max

Fantastic work so far :)

I just need more time at my bench Val, not much available this side of next Monday! :(

Max

Thanks Tom, some very kind words. This Harvard is the beginning of a slippery slope - my first 1/32nd scale build but I'm loving the extra detail that I can add, so Revell's Tiger Moth is next!

Regards

Max

You'll enjoy 1/32. My scale of choice. The extra detail which can be added is phenominal and its very easy to get obsessed with adding more...

Cheers,

Tom.

The extra detail which can be added is phenominal and its very easy to get obsessed with adding more...

That's what worries me about 1/32! With 1/48 you can "finesse" things more (or convince yourself that you can). But I do like the "heft" of a 1/32 Spit or something of that size, compared to 1/48. Oddly enough, I've also been seduced somewhat back to 72nd, thanks to the machinations of Airfix, but that will remain a bit of a whimsical detour, I hope. 1/48 is still the bread & butter, though, since I can more or less still see them, and generally afford them far more easily than some of the 32nd wants...

bob

That's what worries me about 1/32! With 1/48 you can "finesse" things more (or convince yourself that you can). But I do like the "heft" of a 1/32 Spit or something of that size, compared to 1/48. Oddly enough, I've also been seduced somewhat back to 72nd, thanks to the machinations of Airfix, but that will remain a bit of a whimsical detour, I hope. 1/48 is still the bread & butter, though, since I can more or less still see them, and generally afford them far more easily than some of the 32nd wants...

bob

Understandable. I do build in 1/48 as well, and have a few in that scale in the stash. A couple, though are still big kits (Rockwell B-1B and a TSR-2). I also have a few 1/24 scale which should feed my obsession well. I am a glutton for punishment...

Cheers,

Tom.

Hmmmm, learn sdk?! :) I hope so but I don't count myself any more than an average modeller however what I do for all my builds is a lot of research so that I'm as familiar with the subject matter as I can be. I've recently discovered some facts about the RATG colour schemes that I didn't know before so these will be incorporated into my model.

Max