New Fouga Magister artwork up on Airfix.com

John

Looks great especially with the Irish option,give credit to Airfix and their release schedule at least they are catering to a wide audience instead

of the lucrative WW2 market,definitely one to get as I,ve never built one.

• Like 1

Very nice... is it a re-pop or a new tooling ?

I do wonder if Airfix have left it too late to join the party... the pletora of Fouga kits available now is amazing...

Also £10.99 seems a bit steep when their Vampire is £7.99...Valom do several versions in 1/72 with resin & PE for not a lot more.

Still might get one.

Edited by Séan Pádraig

If I recall Airfix were the first to release the Fouga in 1/72nd followed by the Heller kit. Not a bad kit for the time and I still have a couple in my made ups! May go along and get one of these, to go with a Heller one I have in progress when I feel like it.

IIRC this is one of those kits with the legless pilots?

Just opened one of my original boxes and yes you are correct. Comes with the nice stand which I doubt the new boxing will have.

Sean; this is just the old tool in a new box with new decals. I also agree £10.99 is too high based on the vampire for £7.99 which was a new tool. The Heller one is only £7.99 and IMHO its a better kit.

I have 4 of these and 3 heller ones so wont be buying any of this release already having IAC decals in the stash. Not seen the valom kit so cant comment. I thought MPM were also doing a 1/72 Magister?

Julien

You might be biased but its good. Had the privilege of seeing them display and win at RIAT, great team.

If you dont have it get a copy of Joe Maxwells Magister book, full of excellent photos. Some good ones of the Magister and Vampire side by side, a little modelling project I think.

Julien

Airfix are certainly having a love affair with the Irish Air Corps at the moment. If/when they redo the Battle, no doubt it will have a Celtic boss as an option.

Might get me one.

Here is one I photographed earlier...

null_zpsebe609af.jpg

Trevor

• Like 1

Just looking at the new Blenheim from Airfix that is £14.99 for a new tool, makes this £10.99 for an old tool look less value for money.

Julien

• Like 1

It builds up nicely. It's a bit better detailed than the Heller kit, although the Heller option features alternative larger wingtip tanks:

Mag16_zps324a4b32.jpg

Decals from the original boxing.

John

Irish Fougas were only ever fitted with the larger tip tanks a-la heller kit.

Only one aircraft was ever seen flying- once- without tip tanks of any sort. According to Joe's book.

HTH

Roy

• Like 1

Another great piece of Airfix artwork!

(I would be slightly biased about that, being Irish though)

Dermot

I even thought the bit of coastline in the artwork looked familiar; north Dublin with Ireland's Eye and Lambay Island came to mind.

Sean; this is just the old tool in a new box with new decals. I also agree £10.99 is too high based on the vampire for £7.99 which was a new tool. The Heller one is only £7.99 and IMHO its a better kit.

Well, they recycled the original 2047 reference for the F-51D, so there was absolutely no way to release this one in S. 2 again :fraidnot::whistle:

Blame Palitoy as they started that madness when they, for whatever reason, announced the kit for re-release in 1985 in S. 3, along with a host of other "upseriesing" for kits which really didn't warrant that. Anyway, the Airfix Magister has been off their programme since 1983, so some may like to see it back. Still, as the kit is not really scarce, it will probably be cheaper to get an old one off ebay, as with most of the older moulds still in production.

Edited by tempestfan

Still, as the kit is not really scarce, it will probably be cheaper to get an old one off ebay, as with most of the older moulds still in production.

Also if you get the old one you get the nice stand as well.

Julien

• 2 months later...

Tigercat,

It's the old (but still adequate) 1975 mould.

I believe that the tip tanks are a little small for the IAC scheme though..

Cheers.. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader

I have a picture of IAC Fouga 215 at a Baldonnel airshow fitted with the larger tanks. They were unpainted as it happens. Maybe it just came back from a long trip?

The Magister was notoriously short legged, one ran out of fuel and made a perfect forced landing in a field. Officially the pilot became lost but it has been said that his girlfriend lived in the same area. A scurrilous rumour I'm sure. :shutup:

The comment about the legless Airfix pilots made me smile. Maybe a reflection of reality. The cockpit of the Fouga was quite small. When I made a forlorn attempt to get a cadetship in the Air Corps. There were strict height and leg length criteria apparently so pilots would fit into the thing. I made the grade on that score but failed on every other count. :weep:

It should sell well, not least in Ireland. I think it's the first time Airfix have featured an IAC aircraft on the box art painting. How often I wished to see such a thing when I started building models as a kid. You guys who live in Britain, America, Germany etc have no idea how lucky you are to have such a selection of kits from you own air forces.

The Magister was notoriously short legged, one ran out of fuel and made a perfect forced landing in a field.

Maybe the glider heritage contributed to the quality of the forced landings. Anyway, IIRC, the Fouga Magister did not have ejection seats...

Still, being Belgian, I also feel quite spoiled with the second colourscheme. The old boxing had the original aluminium/dayglo orange scheme of the Belgian Fougas, now Airfix has chosen the "SEA" scheme that was applied to MT-35 in the early eighties. Be advised, though, that this was a one-off: this aircraft was the squadron hack at the Bierset base where a Mirage 5 wing was operating and some of the "Vietnam" colours of the Mirages rubbed off on their little French brother.

Edited by ivand