1:72 Airfix FW 190

This is my latest, the 1978 tooling of the Airfix FW "Dora", it's just been reboxed in the newer type red Airfix box and to be honest I was surprised to find 2 and a bit sprues hiding in the corner of the box.

So where to start, apart from consigning it to the stash, out came the Airwaves PE saw and Tamiya scriber and set to rescribing the raised panel lines, it's didn't take long because I freehanded the panel lines, using the raised ones as guides.

IMAG2297_zpsaqp1b6tg.jpg

IMAG2298_zps0t4zbwjd.jpg

IMAG2300_zpsyn2bpbwf.jpg

Paint was the same basic camo as my other FW, grey green, grey violet over light blue, using the Humbrol RLM colours, I did some pre shading but gave up as the airbrush is still playing up.

IMAG2304_zpsymbkpc4e.jpg

IMAG2306_zpsked1ab2g.jpg

I managed to get the mottled cam on, but took ages, constantly cleaning the needle with a cotton bud soaked in thinners, then found out the needle was bent, oh well, much rolling between cutting boards seemed to cure it.

Then the OH FFS moment, never try and brush paint Humbrol Clear over paint that hasn't been left to dry properly.

Camo on.

IMAG2307_zpsborkyeov.jpg

OH FFS

IMAG2308_zpsxa0khhyo.jpg

Camo back on, leave well alone

IMAG2309_zpsn8blf5mi.jpg

I brush painted the Clear on, 3 good coats at the Humbrol matt soaks it up like a hob nob and hot tea, then the decals, I should have had a good look at them first, not one came off the backing paper in one piece, that's a learn, old kits, old decals, coat them in Clear first.

IMAG2332_zpscpqma2ms.jpg

Again things went apace, wash was Mig dark wash, only following panel lines. canopy fixed with Humbrol Clear Fix, all gaps filled with paint as I painted the canopy frame, aerial wire is Ez Line added through a hole drilled in the canopy, all fixing done with Asda cheapo superglue, it grabs really well and goes off in seconds.

IMAG2334_zps1uautehe.jpg

IMAG2336_zpsmgtrk1ge.jpg

IMAG2337_zpsywniftj0.jpg

Final bit of weathering done with Humbrol dark earth powder, exhaust stains done with Tamiya master set weathering compact.

IMAG2338_zpsenef4v8d.jpg

Hope you like the build, I really didn't think it would turn out as good as this, still scrambling up the learning curve.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 9

Nice treatment of that ol' warrior (the kit, I mean).

It certainly looks the part, possibly with the exception of that apparent tailplane dihedral that I can't remember from the 1:1 scale Dora…

Godd work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Dihedral is there because I didn't notice the first tailplane had set at an angle, so glued the second the same, everything else had fought me couldn't bring myself to bend them back lol

I'd say your learning curve is well & truly scrambled. You've done a beaut job on this & could well pass it off as a tamigawamy one if you hadn't said :) Did you rivet as well & if so what did you use?

Steve.

Mick,if you had,nt explained the origin of the kit(and I still can,t believe it) and shown us the work carried out I would have thought it was the product

of one of the Japanese companies.Superb! One to be proud of.

Hi Steve, thank you for you comment, I removed the riveting on the wing before paint, I was really just playing and free handing the lines, I still wasn't sure if I was going to build it, I used the Trumpeter riveting tool, basic but with 4 wheels with different size teeth, I'm going to invest in a set of Radu http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_110 riveting tools and scribers.

Lovely paint job on a classic kit. I've built two of them, alongside an Academy kit, and thought that you could probably get a decent kit by kit-bashing them, but you have made a nice job of the panel lines.

I have a feeing that the decal option 'yellow 10' actually belongs on a D-13, but this does not alter the fact that you have done a classy bit of modelling.

OMG...that looks the goods.

I'm struggling with my weird Italeri dora that has half the detail in the kit and I have half your ability in the build and paint!

Oh well :boxing:

Yours looks great

Thank you again for your comments, I'm not doing anything outside the bounds of any modeller, I have the scribing tools in the toolbox because I bought loads of stuff when I had the money, you can rescribe with a big needle held in a pin vice, or make a handle from an old paintbrush and superglue a needle in, then use Dymo tape as a flexible guide along the raised panel lines, there's loads of instruction videos out there, I know that's how I've learnt all this in the last 2 years

Also if you can find magazines like this one, published by Airfix Model World, Scale Modelling Step by Step - advanced, well worth it, I've just bought all the AK weathering magazines, a separate volume for snow, dust, rust, chipping, oil and grime, Kursk, sand, I just read them in awe but have started using techniques like using hairspray for chipping paint

• Like 1