1/32 F-84G Thunderjet - NEW photo question

Hello all :)

Just finished the Hobby Boss 1/32 F-84G

I've become something of a kit snob lately, building only Tamiya or Wingnut Wings.. But picked up this on the spur of the moment at the Hendon model show for £25 thinking I'd regret it, but.. The kit is a beauty! Excellent fit, beautiful metal undercarriage as an option to the plastic parts, lovely rubber tires (which I know aren't to everyone's taste but they look great to me) & very fine surface detail - an absolute pleasure to build. Minor minus points for the decals which looked a little patchy to my eye, but to be fair I didn't use them & some detail could be added to the interior, but again, easily fixed these days..

Extras:

*Eduard Big Ed set - completely transforms the detail levels - well worth it, but not cheap at £37

*Quickboost resin seat - beautiful!

*Zotz decal set - nice, but in the end I decided to mask and spray the markings copying from a period colour photograph - but I used the stencil decals and national insignia

*Montex masks F-84 set - I just used the USAF & aircraft serial numbers

*Alclad finish - various shades

*Lots of Tamiya tape!

I can honestly say it's been the most enjoyable build I've ever done - and considering I've recently built the Tamiya 1/32 Spit & Mustang, that's surprised me!

Not without the usual cock ups though.. Self induced of course.. The primary one was experimenting with the Vallejo black primer - sold as being super tough - but it wasn't - sprayed nicely - looked great - flaked off with masking :( I was on the verge of binning the whole thing, but I'd spent so long on the interior - I ended up buying another whole kit - which I could now only find for £38! B*#%+*#.... Oh well, you live & learn...

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg8.jpg

imagejpg12.jpg

imagejpg10.jpg

imagejpg11.jpg

imagejpg9.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg6.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

imagejpg7.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 27

Excellent work. Great photos as well.

Chris

That's a beauty. had the same problem with Vallejo primer sprays lovely and shrinks down really nice over detail, just wont stay on the bleeden plastic if you want to mask anything, or even handling the model it wears through.

That's one fantastic F-84, exquisitely finished!

Funny to see a -84 without the wingtip tanks though!

JR

I thought i did well with my Straocruiser but i put my hands up to this one, IT BLOWS ME OUT OF THE WATER!! The different metal panels are first class. I've got to start again now :banghead: Very well done, cheers Lindan.

Simply amazing. My girlfriend loved how clean it looks.

Did you do the riveting?

Thanks, but no, but it's been highlighted with a wash

That's a beauty. had the same problem with Vallejo primer sprays lovely and shrinks down really nice over detail, just wont stay on the bleeden plastic if you want to mask anything, or even handling the model it wears through.

Yep, I just found it very odd that they're selling the product as a super tough base and it just seems to fall off the kit! It cost me £12 + £38 for a new kit. So £50 wasted and a load of hassle :( but on the plus side it was perfect for spraying the Montex masks!

That's one fantastic F-84, exquisitely finished!

Funny to see a -84 without the wingtip tanks though!

JR

Yes, I liked it looked different to everyone else's F-84! I found a great picture (I'll try and post it) of an F-84 in the colours of the model without the wingtip tanks too..

I thought i did well with my Straocruiser but i put my hands up to this one, IT BLOWS ME OUT OF THE WATER!! The different metal panels are first class. I've got to start again now :banghead: Very well done, cheers Lindan.

Thanks Lindan, your Stratocruiser looks great! What did use for the NMF for that and your Mustang?

Not into the larger scale stuff myself but that is one stunning build sir , i've had trouble with the Vallejo primers myself so i know how you felt . The stuff is just rubbish , once it's on you can't sand it if you need to without it just peeling off . There paints are wonderfull though .