Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb - Finished!

Great idea Neil. The work so far looks really good, I like the way you have done the seat and the wingspar. Agree the choice of markings too!

I remember mine built in the late 70's with it's sagging wing.

Cheers

John

Cheers guys. I built one around that time John, although can't remember how good or bad it was, I was only a nipper ! Come to think of it, I can't remember what happened to it.

Well, got the fuselage together last night, although it didn't want to. The rear section of the lower wing just didn't want to kiss the fuselage, so brut force was needed and left over night. Getting the tropical intake cowling blended in is proving troublesome, but I was expecting that. There's going to be plenty of sanding to tidy up all the joins before much else happens, but at least it looks like a spit!

Not done much this week, but have blended the tropical intake in. This has taken a lot of work and in doing so obliterated all the surface detail. With the main bits on, I'll rebuild all the detail back in next. It's looking a bit rough at the moment because it's void of detail and full of sanding dust, but the worst bit is over now....I think!!!

21_zpsb21b68ff.jpg

24_zps40d52a8a.jpg

23_zps9c2baf08.jpg

22_zps0c608d66.jpg

Cheers guys :)

Last night, I was experimenting with how to add the cowling fasteners. I got a suitably sized punch and made some discs, but they just didn't look right, so the discs came off again and more tidying up required as a result. I've settled on using the punch to score a 'circle' in to the surface and using a drill to put the hole in the middle and this looks much more subtle and better, so that's the plan once the surface finish has been restored. I'll get some pictures once I'm happy with what's there!

All part of the learning curve, although the swear box got a little heavier this week!

Cheers Chablar :)

Had a dabble this morning with the fasteners, was hoping to get them all done today, but had too much on. There's still the lower ones to do on this side, but it give you the general idea of how it will look:

25_zps665a2f91.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys. Wasn't expecting to get much done today but got the fasteners finished and a final(ish) coat of primer after a jolly good rub down...oooer!. Few blemishes that need taking care of yet. Took the pictures out in the garden, amazing how different they come out compared to inside.

27_zps0cedbbf3.jpg

26_zps1782983d.jpg

29_zps3be93d2b.jpg

28_zpscbdac898.jpg

• Like 3

She's ready for painting now. Got the clear bits fitted and a dry fit of the prop and exhausts so see how it all looks. Can't wait to get th paint on and of course have fun with some weathering!

I think the windscreen is too raked, but the correct part for this version with the armour inside is even more raked which looks even worse, so I'm leaving this one on...a bit of artistic licence you might call it!

30_zps6b4b926e.jpg

32_zps654a1a2b.jpg

31_zpsc2ff088c.jpg

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1

I've only just stumbled upon this - what a great job you've done on a true classic. The fasteners are superb, very effective.

Looking forward to some paint!

Tom

Finally got the base paint on, I used Gunze acrylic mid stone and dark earth for the upper sides and Xtracrylic Azure blue for the lower. After a bit of tidying up, the next step will be a coat of Kleer before the decals. following that, there will be a wash for the panel lines and a light dusting of thinned white to 'bleach' the paintwork slightly before moving on to oils for a dirtying up. This is the fun part!

33_zps5214c79a.jpg

34_zpsb23d02ca.jpg

35_zps7d54ed67.jpg

36_zpsebc4d5e4.jpg

• Like 7

Blinking heck Neil,

I`ve just stumbled across this and it is looking very special indeed,...it will look great in US markings!

Just to let you know I think that you are using the wrong windscreen! The Spit V`s sent overseas had the later flat sided windscreen,..as per the box art!

Keep up the good work,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

No worries Neil,......I understand! I have just noticed something amiss with the camo scheme so I`ve sent you a PM,.....sorry in advance,....but it is an Airfix error!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Paint finish looks great already. Gonna look a stunner.

embarrassingly I've never built a Spitfire

:rofl: Love it. The general orders his own destiny - free of the conventions and constraints placed on subordinate ranks :)

But how did the once officer cadet melchett manage to avoid it?

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1

As Tony has pointed out, the camo is the wrong way round, the DE should be MS and vice versa, so there's more inaccuracies in the build. That's a pain, but I'm enjoying the build and it won't be entering any competitions so something I'll have to live with. Some how, to add to my blunders, I've applied the upper wing roundel skewed despite aligning it, so there's a request in the 'Wanted' section for another if anyone has one that I'll hopefully apply over the top if I can get one. That's what happens building when you're tired!

Anyway, here she is with the decals on. There is some paint run caused by Humbrol decal fix that will need touching up, but that won't take long.

38_zps6ec739bf.jpg

41_zpsb92007f5.jpg

39_zpsbd6b6d0f.jpg

40_zps92212b6e.jpg

42_zps2f84768a.jpg