Alf Granger drawings

Cees Broere

Alf Granger probably is to blame for me not finishing more than four kits since 1988 - his 109E drawings were about the first scale drawings I came across consciously, and I decided to engrave and correct an Airfix kit according to them (not finished to this day), assuming any drawing done as cleanly must be dead accurate. I freely confess that his work in Wingspan made me a sucker for cleanly-done and layouted drawings.

I have asked about him on other fora, but I don't think I ever got any substantially new info. Googling doesn't yield much either. All I can say is that his first works I'm aware of are the Dataplan series from ca. 1972 or thereabouts. Then follows a gap up to ca. 1981 when he started doing the drawings for Wingspan (originally Planes), a series which was relatively easily available in bookshops in large rail stations in Germany up to the end of 1994 or so. As there appears to have been some dramatic price increase for all UK magazines in Germany leading to SAM, AvNews and SMI being dropped by my suppliers at the end of 1994, it may have continued being produced for some time, but I recall seeing a reference that Wingspan ceased in 1995 or something. I have not seen any work by him after that which was not recycled.

He also was responsible for the drawings in the Aerodata International series, which was produced from the early 80s on by VAP Publications. Most of his work was associated with Philipp Moyes in some way, so I think he could be a lead - if he is still with us, as I suspect Mr Moyes must be in his 90s.

His Beau drawings were reprinted (IIRC they appeared in an early issue of Planes) in a later Wingspan (between 50 and 65, I think), which I have. Somewhere in a box.

Edited by tempestfan