1-35 D-Day Bridge Dio - COMPLETE!

Thanks guys, glad you like it. I'm just putting the finishing touches to it - it should be finished very soon, then I have to work out how to photograph it well and then build a box to be able to transport it around! :)

• Like 1

Well that is a surprise, looking back at the first post here it was less than 2 months ago! I feel like I've been building this one forever!!! Anyway, I think I can finally say it IS COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now for some photos - these are a bit trick as its a very difficult shape/size to photo graph so please bear with me. I took it out into the garden earlier this evening when there wasn't direct sunlight but it was nice an light. I set the camera apature at f22 and with it on a tripod used the self timer to take the photos most of which needed about 1/4 to 1/5 second to get the depth of focus.

Some of these have been put through a bit of Photoshop to tidy up the background and the side but no adjustment has been made to the model itself! So enough talk here are the photos:

DSC_1447.JPG

(full size here)

DSC_1449.JPG

(full size here)

DSC_1450.JPG

DSC_1452.JPG

(full size here)

DSC_1454.JPG

DSC_1455.JPG

DSC_1456.JPG

DSC_1460.JPG

DSC_1461.JPG

DSC_1462.JPG

DSC_1463.JPG

DSC_1464.JPG

DSC_1466.JPG

DSC_1467.JPG

DSC_1468.JPG

I still need to decide on an overall title... maybe "Breakfast on the hoof" ?

I was initially very worried about the seating position of the Sgt figure as he appeared to be lopsided. It was only when the whole thing came together I realised he's leaning over to get a better view of the argument on the bridge!!!

Hmm, now I need to pick the best 4 photos to put into the gallery... oh boy that's gonna be fun! :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 15

Thanks guys, glad you liked it - this was a nerve-wracking one as I couldn't always see what it would look like at the end while building it. Normally when building a model you have a pretty good idea of what its going to look like, but this one was totally out on a limb stuff! Lots of "firsts" in this, not least the water, which was an education in itself!

I kept the pigs out of the thread before now to keep the "surprise" for the final reveal :)

That is a wonderful job you have done here, everything is first rate and ties in excellently with every element presented.

As far as build time frame goes, that too is impressive. To me anyways, as I can easily spend two months on a single military vehicle.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Only two months! that's quick!

I've been watching this one develop, I have to say I think the finished product is superb! Great detail all round, and some, technically, difficult modelling to achieve (such as the water) has all lead to a really great little diorama.

Great job!

• Like 1

Hi Kallisti

Wonderful job, you have included a lot of details and it all works together, which is a testament to your planning and perseverance.

Sorry for the delay in enclosing the other photos you requested, see them below. I know I'm biased but my favourite part of your build is the bridge, it's nice to know the old bridge I'm changing will live on in your diorama

Cheers Pat

imagejpg1_zps78d88ac6.jpg

imagejpg6_zps36ee023a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps4982e990.jpg

imagejpg4_zps4ad9c3bf.jpg

imagejpg5_zps9e8581f8.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsac811f67.jpg

imagejpg8_zps4348cbf9.jpg

imagejpg9_zps73218e89.jpg

imagejpg7_zps55e0de2b.jpg

• Like 2

There are some superb views of the bridge, thanks Jockney, the underside is particularly interesting as there are a set of cross stays that aren't in the model, and the way the bridge rests upon the concrete supports is different from mine, but I'm sort of glad I see this NOW instead of while I was building it as I'd have HAD to use these photos as inspiration lol :)

I'm actually very pleased how the bridge came out considering how difficult it was to build from the instructions and how many mistakes I made while building it!!! There are also a LOT of very annoying ejector pin marks, particularly on the cross-members that connect the two sides, which are almost impossible to fill and sand because of their inaccessibility!

• Like 1

Hi Kallisti

I'm really glad you did your own thing rather than copy the photos, that's what makes the bridge yours. The buttresses either end of the bridge would never have been used in the field, as they would take too long to build, so yours is correct.

Congratulations on a great build.

Cheers Pat