1-35 D-Day Bridge Dio - COMPLETE!

An amazing piece of modelling, among some of the finest seen on this site, and the pigs are a

wonderful touch, a totally different step away from a typical diorama, well done,

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, its a good feeling that people like what I've done :)

Recovering from a day out at Dunsfold this evening, think I've got a sunburnt face, but I also have a camera full of photos and video of Lancasters, Vlucan, Canberra, Hunter, B25, Spitfires, Hurricanes and Mustangs!

• Like 1

Fantastic, it's given me some inspiration to finally finish my bridge, it's been sat gathering dust for to long.

0bd07b1ec2e670bee22bb2537f697357_zpsf7a8

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 4

Go for it Ozzy, its not the easiest kit to build - there are too many specifically oriented pieces that are not adequately called out in the instructions, but it does look great when finished!

Thanks

Yeah the instructions are not the clearest, but it was an enjoyable and frustrating kit both at the same time. I have a spare section to use on somthing in the future. hopefully I will start the build of the base over the weekend, just tossing up whether to do soil banks or destroyed bridge, decisions, decisions..

Edited by Ozzy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the Ultimate Products guys for voting my dio into 3rd place. Now its all over I can also reveal that I had entered this diorama into the IPMS Farnborough Member's Trophy comp in September whose theme was dioramas and it came out as the winner:

DSCF6325.JPG

So all in all I'm very pleased with the outcome of this project. Its been to 3 shows so far, our own show in September, Abingdon and Bovington last weekend. I'm afraid it won't be going to Telford this year as it doesn't fit in our club's theme for the show this year, but it'll be doing other shows in the new year.

• Like 9

Congratulations, and twice that!

You may also be happy to know that the Bailey bridge- concept is still alive and kicking. Last year I had a bridge renconstruction project that required a temporary bypass road with a temporary bridge built. This bridge (see pic below) was allowed to two-lane unrestricted traffic so it could carry two 60 ton trucks at the same time! The bridge was built in four days and dismantled in three. We use these regularly in this purpose, although the equipment is a some what advanced and higher strength version of the original Bailey- type used in Normandy. Although I´m a double engineer (military/civil) by training/education, or perhaps just because of that, I wouldn´t dare trying to model one of these in anything but 1:1 scale. You´ve done a spectacular diorama!

Regards, V-P

WP_000296_zpsfe791f5b.jpg

Thanks V-P, impressive 1:1 modelling :)

We've got an ex-army engineer in the model club and he was very pleased to inspect the Bailey bridge but he did point out that the outer framework is actually doing nothing as it doesn't connect with anything except the support girders underneath. We consulted the instructions and saw that this is true as there is no additional bracing to connect it. Makes it look nice and "busy" though :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'm chuffed to bits now, Road Hogs just won "Best in Show" at the REME Museum Model show, voted by the general public attending the museum and show!

Very surprised and very pleased!!!

• Like 3