Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 with Extras

Tom, you ever thought about backing the PE on the thinnest plastic sheet card you can get? Means you can super glue it down, then just normal plastic cement once you've trimmed it down to stick it on, apparently makes large PE sheets a lot easier to work with.

• Like 1

Tom, you ever thought about backing the PE on the thinnest plastic sheet card you can get? Means you can super glue it down, then just normal plastic cement once you've trimmed it down to stick it on, apparently makes large PE sheets a lot easier to work with.

Now that sounds like a good idea. Could have done with that when I was putting the four PE strips on the radome.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom, I'm playing catch up again since my last visit....and boy is she looking good! She must be quite heavy with all that metal on!

This build has finally prompted me to get a 1/32 kit (F-15) with enough AM stuff to build one without using the kit!

Looking forward to seeing her primed up in the near future!

• Like 1

Hi Tom, I'm playing catch up again since my last visit....and boy is she looking good! She must be quite heavy with all that metal on!

This build has finally prompted me to get a 1/32 kit (F-15) with enough AM stuff to build one without using the kit!

Looking forward to seeing her primed up in the near future!

Hi Jer. Good to see you call in. There is a lot of etch, but I've put about 50g of lead coins in the nose. She isn't going to be a tail sitter.

Which F-15 did you go for? The Tamiya or the Revell? Looking forward to seeing it in a future WIP.

Priming is planned for later in the week. Just working on the wind screen (lots of etch framing and blending to do) before finishing the acetate HUD combiners. Once thats done, priming can commence.

Thanks,

Tom.

• Like 1

Hi Jer. Good to see you call in. There is a lot of etch, but I've put about 50g of lead coins in the nose. She isn't going to be a tail sitter.

Which F-15 did you go for? The Tamiya or the Revell? Looking forward to seeing it in a future WIP.

Priming is planned for later in the week. Just working on the wind screen (lots of etch framing and blending to do) before finishing the acetate HUD combiners. Once thats done, priming can commence.

Thanks,

Tom.

Went for Tamiya's F-15C with lots of extras......let's call it my christmas and birthday present to myself for the next 5 years!!
  • Like 1

Went for Tamiya's F-15C with lots of extras......let's call it my christmas and birthday present to myself for the next 5 years!!

Oooh very nice.

Its easy to get carried away with the extras though. What did you get? Tell me tell me.

• Like 1

Oooh very nice.

Its easy to get carried away with the extras though. What did you get? Tell me tell me.

Well I don't really want to disturb you from completing your wind screen but I got:-

GT resin burner cans

GT Resin 2 x wing pylon fuel tanks

Rhino's seamless intakes

Zactomodels AIM-9X missiles

Aries late cockpit

Wolfpack MSIP update set

Master M61 Vulcan 20mm rotary cannon

Trumpeter air to air missiles for the AIM 120 ARAAM's

Eduards Big Ed set + placards

Caracal Oregan ANG 173 FW decals

Hobby Decals panel numbers (dry transfer)

......I got carried away!

Well I don't really want to disturb you from completing your wind screen but I got:-

GT resin burner cans

GT Resin 2 x wing pylon fuel tanks

Rhino's seamless intakes

Zactomodels AIM-9X missiles

Aries late cockpit

Wolfpack MSIP update set

Master M61 Vulcan 20mm rotary cannon

Trumpeter air to air missiles for the AIM 120 ARAAM's

Eduards Big Ed set + placards

Caracal Oregan ANG 173 FW decals

Hobby Decals panel numbers (dry transfer)

......I got carried away!

You did get carried away didn't you thats a really nice haul of aftermarket.. looking forward to following that build.

Tom,

She may not be a tail sitter, but will she be a leg bender with all that weight??? Or are you bolstering the U/C and the U/C bays??? ;)

She may well be a bit of a knee trembler, but I have a white metal undercarriage set and the wheel bays are wedged as well as possible in addition to lots of Mr Cement S.

Here's hoping...

Nice work Tom!

Thanks James.

• Like 1

Hi Tom, yeah, that white metal undercarriage was a good choice. did u also get the white metal supplementary parts from SAC?

the combination is quite sturdy. Great progress, i am enjoying your build, love the cockpit. cant wait for your painting stage.

Good progress Tom, once you start adding all these extra bits and pieces it's amazing how quickly the weight builds up.. My 1/48th already weighs a ton and I've yet to add everything ! You should be OK with the white metal undercarriage.......until it comes to picking the thing up !!

Hi Tom, yeah, that white metal undercarriage was a good choice. did u also get the white metal supplementary parts from SAC?

the combination is quite sturdy. Great progress, i am enjoying your build, love the cockpit. cant wait for your painting stage.

Hi Gents. Good to see you drop in. Thanks for the words of encouragement. The whole thing put together weights a considerable amount, especially with the wings on. The etched nickel silver flaps and slats are surprisingly substantial.

I did also get the SAC supplementary set so I am hoping the strength will be there. There will still be the resin jet pipes, all the wing stores and some rather nice Flightpath LGBs to add, which will only add to the weight.

Where I come from, the expression is - she will be a right boiler.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Any news on this Tom?

Hi Breaker. She is progressing, albeit slowly. I have to complete some computer repairs before I can post some updated pictures. Needless to say, paint has been applied and decals are now on the underwing stores. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Tom.

• 6 months later...

How's this going, Tom? Any news?

Al

Hi Al. It's actually moved on a lot, but I've only just got a tablet good enough to play with photographs. The fuselage is painted and the gear and bays are almosy finished (way too much added detail).

I must admit that I lost my mojo a bit with this one so I've been building an old 1/72 EFA kit for a little bit of a diversion.

I've got a few days off at the end of the month, so I'll pick up where I left off and hopefully post some pictures then as well.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 2

"(way too much added detail).:.... I like the sounds of that.

gonna be interesting!!

Hi Shan. Not sure interesting is the word. I have been trying to busy up the wheel bays, and I've got to tell myself 'enough is enough'

I've started one of these myself Tom, funny how for a simple kit some of the bits are a pain in the bottom. The big tanks would be nice if they actually both had the same profile!

Hi Breaker. I know exactly what you mean. Fortunately for me I didn't try to correct the tanks. Could have turned into a job for life.

• 4 years later...
On 07/08/2014 at 08:12, Bri48 said:

You will need a Car Type Spray Gun for models of this size Tom, otherwise you will be spraying until August 2020..

All the best

Brian.

It's July 2020, how's it going lads? 😀

• 3 years later...