Revell 1/32 Tornado GR1 with Extras

Time to start something new. Something a bit more demanding than those kits that I have been working on recently. So I have chosen Revell's fantastic 1/32 Tornado GR1 with lots of lovely aftermarket as follows:-

Flightpath UK's Tornado Detail and Conversion Set,

Flightpath UK's Flaps, Slats and Spoilers set,

Aires resin Afterburners,

Aires resin Cockpit,

Flightpath's LGBs and AIM-9s,

Master Probes,

SAC's metal undercarriage, including the supplementary set, and

Eduard's canopy mask set.

So, without further ado, the obligatory box shot:-

Box_zps2eefe5cf.jpg

And the aftermarket:-

Aftermarket_zps7a514a51.jpg

• Like 4

I have already made a start on the wonderful Flightpath Flaps, Slats and Spoiler set. I will only be using the flaps and spoilers, though as I am modelling the aircraft on the ground with the canopy open. The Flightpath set is beautifully engineered, with incredible detail. I have to say, though that my soldering skills leave a lot to be desired, as the following photographs will tell. Nothing that can't be cleaned up though. I have used solder paste, to which I must thank Pittnuma for pointing me in the right direction. It is great stuff, and effectively leaves you with only needing one hand to hold the part and one hand to hold the soldering iron.

The port wing flap housing (this will fit into the kit wing eventually). This has been cleaned up more since this photograph was taken:-

FlapsHousing_zps559fae28.jpg

Work started on the first two flap sections (more clean-up still to do):-

Flaps1_zps227d5823.jpg

Flaps2_zps3a1ff9ca.jpg

As previously, all comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 2

Ace, this will be one to watch!

Looks a beast!

Thanks gents. Will be a slow build. The Flightpath instructions require a lot of planning before taking the plunge, although thats probably just me...

Cheers,

Tom.

Wow, i wish i had those flighpath flaps set, they look amazing. I really enjoyed building this kit. Will it be a desert storm version or post desert storm wrap around camo?

• Like 1

Following this as I too have all these add ons. Particularly interested in how you go with the soldering as I would like to do this too, but as yet, have not tried it, any tips?

Bruce

Hi Bruce. Thanks for stopping by. The best advice I can give regarding the soldering is to buy some solder paste - £3.45 from Ebay. You apply a tiny amount to one of the items to be joined with a cocktail stick, hold the parts together and run the iron along the paste. Its simpler than having to hold an iron in one hand, solder in the other and hold two pieces together whilst you solder them.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• Like 2

Wow, i wish i had those flighpath flaps set, they look amazing. I really enjoyed building this kit. Will it be a desert storm version or post desert storm wrap around camo?

Hi Shan. I've just checked out your build by following the link in your signature. Your Tornado is amazing. I can honestly say now that mine will not look that good.

I am going to do the green and grey wrap-around camo as I had promised myself that on my next build I would try the blu-tac method of masking.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Shan. I've just checked out your build by following the link in your signature. Your Tornado is amazing. I can honestly say now that mine will not look that good.

I am going to do the green and grey wrap-around camo as I had promised myself that on my next build I would try the blu-tac method of masking.

Cheers,

Tom.

Got to love a wrap around Tornado! By the way, while it's called the blue tac method make sure you use white tac to avoid nasty marks on the paint work!!

• Like 1

Got to love a wrap around Tornado! By the way, while it's called the blue tac method make sure you use white tac to avoid nasty marks on the paint work!!

Good to know mate, thanks.

Tom

Best of luck Tom, I fancy building one these especially with all those extras so will follow this with great interest. She'll be BIG!

Thanks Jer. She will be quite a size, and 1/32 is my scale of choice.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

One of the beauties of being off work is lots of time for modelling, and so I have made better than expected progress so far. I am continuing with construction of the Flightpath flaps, and have now completed the flaps housings and lower flap surfaces for both wings. I have to say that my soldering was ropey at first, but is improving as I progress. The following shows where I have got to. Each individual lower flap surface has its hinge brackets fitted. Each hinge bracket is made up of two PE pieces super-glued together, and then the laminated assembly is soldered to each flap.

A photo....

Flaps_zpsdda7b2b5.jpg

The next step will be to make a start on the aerofoil shaped sections of the flaps. These are far more complex and will require more time to plan and construct.

More later.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by Tomjw
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom, i cant wait to see your wrap around camo and the flaps and slats!!! i am itching to try a camo aircraft one day, hope to learn off your posts on how you're gonna try the Blu-tac method and with ref to

SaintsPhil comment on the white tac instead

Hi Tom, i cant wait to see your wrap around camo and the flaps and slats!!! i am itching to try a camo aircraft one day, hope to learn off your posts on how you're gonna try the Blu-tac method and with ref to

SaintsPhil comment on the white tac instead

I'd hold off following any example from me mate. There will be a couple of firsts for me on this build. Apart from camo for the first time, it will be my first time using Gunze paints. So there will be planty to go wrong.

I'll check out the link to SaintsPhil's comments on white-tak and buy some.

Cheers,

Tom.

Looking good, I've always looked at the flightpath flaps and slats and wondered if they would be insanely complicated! They look ok so far...

You won't be disappointed with the Gunze paints by the way, Aqueous or Mr Color? Lovely to use either way.

I'd hold off following any example from me mate. There will be a couple of firsts for me on this build. Apart from camo for the first time, it will be my first time using Gunze paints. So there will be planty to go wrong.

I'll check out the link to SaintsPhil's comments on white-tak and buy some.

Cheers,

Tom.

ha ha ha, Tom, i know exactly what you mean. i have been experimenting on my 1/32 trumpeter harrier and been making all the mistakes. i've been taking things apart, stripping off paint and repainting, droped and broke the model, thought of making custom decals, but the ink started to bleed and yes it is the first time i stated using Ganze paints, i still prefer humbrol enamels. i will still be checking out your progress with the camo painting.

hope it turns out fine

ha ha ha, Tom, i know exactly what you mean. i have been experimenting on my 1/32 trumpeter harrier and been making all the mistakes. i've been taking things apart, stripping off paint and repainting, droped and broke the model, thought of making custom decals, but the ink started to bleed and yes it is the first time i stated using Ganze paints, i still prefer humbrol enamels. i will still be checking out your progress with the camo painting.

hope it turns out fine

Sounds like a nightmare. Just out of interest, how was your experience with Gunze paints?

Edited by Tomjw

Tom, just out of interest I only use three manufacturers now for camo and they're all acrylics...Gunze, Vallejo and Lifecolor, (with the odd Tamiya thrown in, mainly NATO black). I just prefer the silky finish and the easy, quick clean up. I haven't used smelly enamels for years. Again it's all down to good preparation, mega clean airbrush, properly thinned, good ratio etc but that goes for any medium used with an airbrush. I find Gunze and Lifecolor the best to work with, Vallejo have a fantastic colour range...others will differ I'm sure....

It's all down to preference and experience really......give them a try.

Melchie

• Like 1

Tom, just out of interest I only use three manufacturers now for camo and they're all acrylics...Gunze, Vallejo and Lifecolor, (with the odd Tamiya thrown in, mainly NATO black). I just prefer the silky finish and the easy, quick clean up. I haven't used smelly enamels for years. Again it's all down to good preparation, mega clean airbrush, properly thinned, good ratio etc but that goes for any medium used with an airbrush. I find Gunze and Lifecolor the best to work with, Vallejo have a fantastic colour range...others will differ I'm sure....

It's all down to preference and experience really......give them a try.

Melchie

Thanks for this Melchie. I've not tried Vallejo yet, but plan to do so mainly for their brushability. I am looking forward to using the Gunze paints as the things I have read suggest they are the best in the business. Hence my interest in Shan's experiences.

Surface prep is going to be fun - dangling a 1/32 Tornado over the bath for a wash!!!!

I've not tried Lifecolour.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 2

I have put together one of the upper surfaces of the flaps. Went together fine, but trying to get the correct bend radius into the nickel-silver flap surfaces was very difficult. It is such a had material, and I didn't know how it would react to annealing (didn't want to risk it). After this, I soldered together the corresponding upper and lower surfaces, and the following photographs show the finished sub-assembly (except they reveal a little cleaning up which needs to be done. Now, just to repeat another seven times...

Flaps3_zps57460dad.jpg

Flaps4_zpsb21875db.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Tom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have put together one of the upper surfaces of the flaps. Went together fine, but trying to get the correct bend radius into the nickel-silver flap surfaces was very difficult. It is such a had material, and I didn't know how it would react to annealing (didn't want to risk it).

Tom -

Yes you can anneal it - just heat the fret over a gas ring until dull read and leave to cool naturally [ do not quench in water!]. The nickel will be very pliable then. This is a good idea if you don't have something like the Hold & Fold Tools Brass Assist Rolling Set - which could also read NS Assist! - at your disposal. Once annealed the curved areas of each flap will form around a piece of metal rod easily and without any 'spring' in the part.

David

Tom -

Yes you can anneal it - just heat the fret over a gas ring until dull read and leave to cool naturally [ do not quench in water!]. The nickel will be very pliable then. This is a good idea if you don't have something like the Hold & Fold Tools Brass Assist Rolling Set - which could also read NS Assist! - at your disposal. Once annealed the curved areas of each flap will form around a piece of metal rod easily and without any 'spring' in the part.

David

Thanks David. I will give it a go tomorrow. I am really enjoying building this set.

Cheers,

Tom.

Nice...

Thanks mate.

Tom