1:350 USS Intrepid CV-11, by Gallery models

Rob 1

GAL64008.jpg

Is anyone planning to get this classic Cold War carrier coming out soon? The model is listed on Hannants site although presumably will be available elsewhere, and hopefully at show trade stands in the not too distant future.

To me, these modified Essexs are the classic image of the Cold War carrier, as 15 of them were modified with the angled flight deck to operate the new generations of jets of that era, although disapointingly not the then new F4 Phantom, most other classic Navy and Marine late '50s, '60s and '70 aircraft were operated off her decks, and the iconic front page activities of the time included service off Vietnam and operations with the with the busy space programme of the time.

One other appeal for me is this one still exists, and a visit to tour round her is like stepping into an all action time machine!

carousel_130.jpg

Edited by Rob 1

Revell were meant to have released this late last year, but it suddenly disappeared from their release list. Don't know if Revell and Gallery had a falling out but I will definitely be getting it. I visited her when in New York about 10 years ago, a very interest aircraft museum, but would liked to have been able to see more of the ship.

Ooh, does this mean one could build a reasonably accurate late '60s USS Hornet in 1/350 from the Intrepid kit? They're both from the same builder, built at the same time, and both upgraded to the same standard at about the same time (according to Wikipedia, at least).

(I picked up the Revell 1/540 Hornet when it got re-released but the scale is a bit small and the kit isn't exactly accurate.)

Edit: Reading a bit more, it looks like the kit is for SCB-125 so wouldn't be appropriate for an Apollo recovery mission since they were upgraded in the mid-'60s to SCB-144. Although SteelNavy says that SCB-144 involved:

"Installation of the SQS-23 bow-mounted sonar dome.

Installation of a stem hawsepipe and bow anchor.

Modifications to the Combat Information Center."

which doesn't sound beyond the scope of some modelling work??

Will

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I haven't started mine, but then I thought I'd wait till some extra aircraft or etch gets released. It is a beautiful kit and stacked with detail.. The only thing it really needs is a proper interior for the hanger as it can be very exposed with the lifts down and the doors open.

If you're in the area Al, you're more than welcome to pop round for a coffee have a look at the Intrepid.

I have one now as well and am looking forward to getting it on the bench. One review stated it did not come with deck GSE such as the 'tilley' crane. Looks like the 3D printer guys will get some business for stuff like this.

Thanks but I can't drive at the moment Dave, otherwise I would have taken full advantage of your kind offer!

Where did you get yours from?

Shame, but know the feeling as I can't drive at the moment either.

I bought mine at Telford, got it for a very special knock down show price.

..........I thought I'd wait till some extra aircraft or etch gets released.

L'arsenal has produced nice little sets of Skyhawks and Crusaders. I've received a couple and should be able to get them reviewed soon, now that I have completed the review on their Mulberry Harbour

Mike

On 27/06/2014 at 11:34, Will Vale said:

Ooh, does this mean one could build a reasonably accurate late '60s USS Hornet in 1/350 from the Intrepid kit? They're both from the same builder, built at the same time, and both upgraded to the same standard at about the same time (according to Wikipedia, at least).

Edit: Reading a bit more, it looks like the kit is for SCB-125 so wouldn't be appropriate for an Apollo recovery mission since they were upgraded in the mid-'60s to SCB-144. Although SteelNavy says that SCB-144 involved:

"Installation of the SQS-23 bow-mounted sonar dome.

Installation of a stem hawsepipe and bow anchor.

Modifications to the Combat Information Center."

which doesn't sound beyond the scope of some modelling work??

Will

From a modelling aspect, there are many problems with choosing which updated Essex class carrier that can be built from existing kits. The years after WW2 were very much an experimental period; the invention of angled decks, catapults, advent of fast jets, lessons learned from Korea etc., etc. all meant that each carrier was modified to a different standard and not just with the radar fit. The angled flight deck outline was different on virtually all ships but the biggest visual difference, again from a modelling perspective, was that the external lifts were fitted in different locations on some of the carriers.

The obvious difference between the Essex carriers is the amount and location of the aircraft lifts.

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • Rob 1 changed the title to 1:350 USS Intrepid CV-11, by Gallery models
  • 1 month later...

The issue with the Gallery Intrepid is that even after the clamoring on the need of an angled deck Essex class in 1/350, sales were not as good as expected.

I got one at release and the price back then was about right at 165$ US.

It's a very nice kit and not worse than any of the Trumpy Essexes of WWII, perhaps even much better in the hull lines below the water line.

The representative air wing is a bit under represented and there are no ready available aftermarket planes in injection styrene.

It does have a decent amount of photoetching details that does not require going to the formidable Tetra set.

When it disappeared from the shelves there never was a reissue, much like some other 1/350 kits, see the Merit Carriers going for stratospheric prices on eBay.

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2021 at 11:36 AM, XF442 said:

Hi all, according to scalemates the kit has recently been re-issued by Trumpeter (No. 05618). Are there any differences to the Gallery/MRC boxing?

AFAIK there is no difference, the Trumpy kit is a straight reissue, they've also reissued the USS Wasp/Iwo Jima LHD kits and the USS New York LPD kit too, my understanding is that Trumpeter and Gallery are both owned by the same company,  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Perhaps my notes will be taken late. I purchased this set but was disappointed.
The aircraft hangar has only external walls and no internal buildings or equipment. There is no aircraft lift niche on the hangar deck. There is no lift equipment. The lift is a flat part, there are no construction elements from below. Unfortunately, there are no transport vehicles in the set: carts, tractors, crane.
There are also mistakes in some elements.