New Zvezda 1/144 A320 - Review - what's in the new box!

I'm mildy curious as to how many modellers will choose either the door open and internal detail shown, or with flaps out...

most airliner modellers prefer everything closed and up apart from the gear.

If anybody is not planning to use the inside parts, and doesn't want them, I'd be glad to give them a good home ;)

Kevin

When I get round to building mine, she will be posed on a final approach with flaps down, undercarriage in the process of dropping, maybe a tad of airbrakes deployed - and of course, with closed doors, cross check and doors to manual....! Look out T5 here she comes

It does vary but flap 2 is pretty standard. For a low noise approach such as at Heathrow it is standard to fly 160kts to 4 miles which is invariably done at flap 2. The gear is then selected down followed by flap 3 and then flap full (3 or full can be used for landing depending on airline sop, weather conditions, preference etc) whilst decelerating to final approach speed. So 2 is correct as the gear starts travelling but by the time it locks down flap 3 would probably have been reached.

Cheers

Glen

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I cracked.

I bought 2 from eBay (still haven't arrived yet; meant to be a "click'n'collect" ready in two days...five days ago) and then whilst waiting for them to arrive, a hardware shop I visited had one for sale in their model department, so I bought it (£19.99).

Initial impressions: plastic-wise it's lovely moulded with very fine panel lines and superb fit of parts.

Details and accuracy wise, it just doesn't do it for me to be honest. The cabin windows are too big so I've had to fit the clear part and use filler to eliminate them (I don't like window decals) and the clear plastic is strangely flexible though that could be an advantage is it will flex rather than crack. Flight deck detail is nice but wasted as not much can be seen. There's also a lack on any kind of detail in the undercarriage bays which is included in the Revell kit.

I'm using the V2500 engine option and the only thing I like about that is the sharpness of the fan blades at the front; the exhaust section bears little to no resemblance to the real engine. Revells engine is much more accurate. The CFM option by comparison is nicely detailed (which engine do Aeroflot use...?).

The lowered flaps are a nice touch but I feel the main undercarriage legs are too thin (just like those on their 767 &787).

Missing details on the underside of the belly and the inner wing is really quite puzzling as Revells kit has those details, as are the lack of sharklets and antennae and drain tubes again featured on Revells kit.

Each to their own I suppose, but I was hoping this would be a huge leap forward over the Revell kit, which I don't think it is. Three will be enough for me.

I also received my batch of Daco 737-3/4/500 kits....sweet!!

Jeff

• Like 1

Thanks for your interesting comments Jeff. I recently discovered to my amazement that my stash includes 11 Revell A320s, 8 A319s and 9 A321s. They must have bred and multiplied in the darkness and I'm very glad I've resisted the temptation to spend money on a product which appears to be no better and in some ways inferior.

Please Jeff, from what you're seeing, does the 'too big' theme carry on from the cabin windows also to the cockpit transparency?

I am so disappointed by these initial reports because I have really been looking forward to this release. Not necessarily for the open slats/ flaps option, but for the open door and proper sized [cockpit] windows because I also dislike using window decals... Since my Revell stash only comprises three 320's, a couple 321's and also a couple 319's, I am still considering buying the Zvezda kit for I do plan to build four 320's sitting next to each other in a diorama [some being serviced] and I would want them to look all the same. There's also a price issue: in eastern Europe Zvezda kits tend to be somewhat cheaper than in the UK, for example and cheaper than Revell's 320's right now anyway... :confused:

No, the flight deck windows appear to be the correct size. The "problem" with Revells windshield can easily be overcome by simply sanding off the moulded on frame detail (polishing afterwards) and using the full clear part as the whole windshield.

Looking again at the Zvezda kit, it's nicely moulded as already mentioned, but it's the finer details that seem to be missing

- underside details

- no ram air turbine cover

- no landing lights on the inner wings

- those two strips (fuel tank mods? Or strengthening strips?) just forward of the lights on the wings missing

- APU intake doors and vents missing

- landing gear too thin

- no detail in the undercarriage bays

- cabin windows too big

- no sharklets

- incorrect engine (V2500) detail

Plus side:

- lovely fine scribing

- great fit of parts

- lowered flaps/slats

- forward entrance door separate and detailed vestibule

- flight deck transparency fits superbly: I dry fitted mine to see how much effort it was going to be to adjust it to fit, but it snapped into place and was flush all the way around. Very nice.

- nice sharp fan blades for both engine options

- weight on AND weight off wheels style undercarriage legs

I hate being "that guy" who always points out what's wrong and I often complain when others do it, but if the Revell kit has those details from what, 15 odd years ago it just seems a bit puzzling why today Zvezda missed those bits.

Most can be added with just a modicum of skill using fine plastic card for antennae, plastic strip for the wing and a drill to add those landing lights. Cabin windows are easily available in decal form (for those who prefer that look) and CFM engines look nice.

Niki you'll find the flight deck windows look right and the open L1 doors are nice - the detail in the entrance is fun. For a diorama lots could be done with these kits using some scale figures, boarding steps and other ground servicing equipment.

Perhaps, as I mentioned, given Zvezdas ability and we all know how great the Tu-134 & Tu-154 are, I was expecting just a little bit more? Fingers crossed their IL-62 will be all that we hope they will.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Thousand thanks, Jeff!

I think I will go ahead and order the kit(s). For the too thin landing gear I might grab another SAC set (14404 "Revell 1/144 Airbus A318 A319 A320 A321 Landing Gear White Metal" - I already have one and it's a two examples affair, meaning each set contains enough gear legs for two aircraft). A couple of ladders I also already have and just the other day I pinpointed some figures, buses and other ground equipment. Ah, and Wizzair decals are already heading my way! :)

Thanks again for the insight!

Cheers,

Niki

P.S.: will have to see what to do about those funny looking V2500 engines... Perhaps source them from the Revell kits I have and build those with the CFM engines (and appropriate liveries)!?

Edited by niki

Evening, just been reading through some of the posts here as I work on the A319/320/321 family and can confirm a couple of queries that have popped up. Hope these help. If anyone has any specific technical questions I can help with feel free to post them here or drop me a PM.

Here goes -

"which engine do Aeroflot use...?" -

Aeroflot aircraft have the CFM-56 fitted, you can tell by looking at the thrust reverser config, they have 4 pop out blocker doors per engine as opposed to the translating sleeve type reversers. The other way to tell is the CFM engine has a tapered exhaust nozzle with a smaller pipe protruding from the center of this. The V2500 has a translating sleeve type reverser and single large exhaust nozzle known as a Common Nozzle Assembly or CNA.

Here's a V2500 showing the translating sleeve deployed and the flush ended exhaust nozzle -

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAE_V2500#/image/File:Mihin_Lanka_Airbus_A320_KvW.jpg

Whilst the CFM looks like this -

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/136/136628_800.jpg

(Images for illustration only and original photographers retain copyright, I will remove images immediately if there are any issues)

The other thing I picked up on was someone had mentioned "those two strips (fuel tank mods? Or strengthening strips?) just forward of the lights on the wings missing"

These strips are power cable conduits that run from the rear spar area in the wheel well to each of the fuel pumps in each wing. Keeps the power cable outside the fuel tank!! Bit of micro strip plasticard would suffice for these. They are rectangular in section with the longer side against the wing surface and each is 3 separate sections.

Please feel free to ask if anything else crops up.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 2

Thanks Eng for explaining what those conduits were for.

As for my question about Aeroflots engine choice, it was merely rhetorical, as Zvezda have moulded the CFM engine better than the V2500. It would seem they concentrated on "their" airlines A320 fleet (and possibly had access to one, but then failed to take advantage of a close up look at the aircraft by leaving out detail).

Thanks for the offer to answer any Qs about the A320 family, I may take advantage of that offer soon.

Regards,

Jeff

Edited to take up that offer- without getting weird sideways looks at work, would you be able to measure the conduits and let us know so that we can add them to our Zv kits? Thanks

Jeff - Should not be a problem at all, might be mid next week before I get a chance to measure them though.

I posted some pics in the Resource forum a few years ago of a 319, but the pics are applicable to a 320 as well, check them out here -

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-a319-reference-pics/

PS the conduits are visible in one of these pics!!!

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

That's a nice smooth finish with the Halfords paint. Sometimes mine can be a bit hit'n'miss.

For the one currently on the bench, I'm considering -

1) Air Serbia (F-dcal)

2) United Airlines "Retro" (Nazca decals)

3) BA Landor scheme with one of the original BCal jets (I think I've got a set of decals left over from Revells first release of their A320 kit, the one that featured a tow truck. I bought it when it was first released and I know I've got the BA decals are somewhere)

4) Tiger Airways (Flevo Decals)

What about yours, any decision yet?

Jeff

Jeff - Don't forget the ex-BCal British Airways aircraft were CFM powered not V2500's as the fleet is now (not including the 2 A318's of course)

Mitchem - What's the secret to that Appliance White going on so smoothly? Mine always tends to have a slight orange-peel texture to it.

Lovely progress.

Rgds,

Eng

Thanks Eng for the reminder about the engines.

I prefer the look of the V2500 engine so if I can overlook the incorrect back end of the Zvezda engines (it'll be hidden under the wings anyway) I may go with the Tiger Airways scheme - ah! But that's an overall white fuselage...

Come on Mitchem, what's the secret to hassle free Halfords app white?

Jeff

Were the BCal ones the few -100 series that were produced? If I remember they were distinguishable by their lack of winglets and were the only A320s on BA's fleet for many years (after the BCal buyout).

Ready to be corrected though.

No you are quite correct Rich, we only picked then up after the BCal buyout. They were some of the earliest A320's built as BCal were a launch customer, think they took 10 in the end.

BA retired them all a few years ago, due to age and to simplify the fleet, but they'd certainly clocked up some mileage.

Rgds,

Eng

Oh yeah, and that ultra smooth white finish! Anyone going to spill the beans?

Edited by eng

So, my four examples arrived in record time thanks to [the affordable price and] the great service of Hobbyland in neighboring Bulgaria! :thumbsup2:

What I have learned:

1. In a single box I encountered this bent in one of the LE slats;

14601373249_0cb1c281de_o.jpg

2. In another box the was this single occurrence of severe warping in the lower part of the wing;

14785676964_6f1c8d2909_o.jpg

3. The main LG legs are indeed a bit thinner than the ones in the Revell box (apologies for the blurry image :raincloud: );

14601325240_265d69455f_b.jpg

4. ...and compared to the SAC white metal ones;

14601516297_9bd2e1715b_b.jpg

5. The nose LG leg is a three part affair as compared to the Revell one and looks really flimsy in its lower part;

14765035886_1602acb303_b.jpg

6. ...here compared to the SAC white metal piece. The other two plastic parts should however strengthen the lower piece. I just don't know if the dimensions of the Zvezda parts are a micro-metric result of reducing the actual nose LG leg to scale or if indeed they turned it up too thin!?

14601387818_d5fa4277b8_b.jpg

As for the shape of the V2500 engines, there is a slight kink as the cowling runs back towards the exhaust as compared to the Revell parts. In how far this spoils the look of the engines? I will most likely use the V2500 out of the box.

And boy, do I love the crisp look of the cockpit clear part! :clap2:

Cheers,

Niki

Re the ten BA inherited form BCAL...only five 100's

The first five were -111 and the last five were -211 G-BUSB-K

You should be able to tell the engine type by the designation...-211, -214, -232 etc.

Edited by garryrussell

my mistake, I should have known that! Thank you for correcting me Garry.

Looking at the nose legs I like the look of the Zvezda parts but I would consider cutting a triangular section out of the middle of the forestay (also known as the drag brace, the flat triangular plate like part in the kit). For some reason the SAC part doesn't look particularly appealing.

321.jpg

Regards,

Eng