New Zvezda 1/144 A320 - Review - what's in the new box!

Niki - I had a bit of warping on the upper left wing part in one of mine and in trying to straighten it I nearly broke it off, though I was a bit heavy handed.

My other two kits ordered from eBay arrived so I have three.

The more I look at the kit and study the very fine detail they've included, like the engine pylon detail, the wing underside detail and those super fine panel lines, the more I'm just puzzled why they left out some more obvious features.

I will try later when I'm home again (on a short break at the moment) to fit the Revell exhaust piece of their V2500 to the Zvezda engine and if it fits that may be a better solution.

As for the rest of the (admittedly) small errors and omissions, I think I can overlook them including the need to use decals for the windows. I'm slowly warming to the kit but if I see Revells kit on offer (even though its half the price of Zvezdas kit) I'll still get it.

Oh, jetBlue is another option for the one I'm building at the moment.

Jeff

Ps - I love the though of entering (G) BUSH. In work when someone mentions a "flange" I giggle like a teenager; we've also got "double lip seals" to tickle the ribs!!! Engineering - don't you just love it!!!

Edited by pinky coffeeboat

Yes, the parts and plastic are delicate throughout the kit and I am so scared of trying to straighten that wing that I don't even want to think about it :)

I hope some [very] warm water will be able to talk sense into the styrene...

L.E.

Agreed, the SAC parts are anything else but appealing. They are a copy of the Revell ones, aren't they?

Edited by niki

It looks like this posting has generated a lot of chat about the Revell and new Zvezda kits. Here is my attempt at the Revell A319 I made a few years back - I will be doing similar with my Zvezda A320 now that I have the flaps and slats configuration options - but perhaps not so close to the end of the runway next time.

DSCF3828.jpg

Thank you to all of you that have added the technical information along the way on this subject - I shall do my best to make the most of the config information once I get my Zvezda kit on the bench

John

Jeff,

This made me laugh!

"Ps - I love the though of entering (G) BUSH. In work when someone mentions a "flange" I giggle like a teenager; we've also got "double lip seals" to tickle the ribs!!! Engineering - don't you just love it!!! "

Only last week I was taking a screen shot of our Parts catalogue to send to a colleague, the offending article ...... A gusset!!!

'Sniggers again'

Eng

• Like 2

Yes indeed, sorry for the interruption 'normal service will resume.....'

I haven't forgotten about getting some measurements of those boost pump wiring conduits either. I was only in for a couple of days last week and we had an aircraft swap over which keep me rather busy!

Eng

• 2 weeks later...

That's a nice smooth finish with the Halfords paint. Sometimes mine can be a bit hit'n'miss.

For the one currently on the bench, I'm considering -

1) Air Serbia (F-dcal)

2) United Airlines "Retro" (Nazca decals)

3) BA Landor scheme with one of the original BCal jets (I think I've got a set of decals left over from Revells first release of their A320 kit, the one that featured a tow truck. I bought it when it was first released and I know I've got the BA decals are somewhere)

4) Tiger Airways (Flevo Decals)

What about yours, any decision yet?

Jeff

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Jeff.

I was going for a boring European white scheme with a flashy tail, but following Peer Pressure and the need to have a cheat line, I eventually opted for the Turkish Airlines Retro scheme (26 Decals) with the addition of the Skyline general stencilling sheet :

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234962975-1144-tu-134ubl-and-another-dc-8/?p=1711083

I am so weak..... :blush:

Now need to start work on the engines and undercarriage :hmmm:

With regards to the secret of applying Halfords Gloss Appliance White successfully, all I can say is that I don't post photos where it's gone wrong, and believe me, I have photo albums full of those !

mike

• Like 2

Will the aftermarket decals for the Revell ones fit the Zveda kit?

Only ask as I've got an A321 and 320 but they've been earmarked and wouldn't mind building the Zveda one in Finnair colours.....

Should be no problem with the Finnair - I find with a bit of creativity and tweaking, one can make (most) decals fit, even if designed for another manufacturers kit.

As well, not having a cheatline, with the 'rocket science' required and 'exact fit preferable' when draping a decal around the cockpit and over the nose cone, the Finnair livery should work like a charm.

Post pics when done.

Cheers,

Mike

Should be no problem with the Finnair - I find with a bit of creativity and tweaking, one can make (most) decals fit, even if designed for another manufacturers kit.

As well, not having a cheatline, with the 'rocket science' required and 'exact fit preferable' when draping a decal around the cockpit and over the nose cone, the Finnair livery should work like a charm.

Post pics when done.

Cheers,

Mike

That's what I thought but thought I'd ask first ;)

The problem being that I'd have to sneak a kit in past the girlfriend and I'll get questioned when the decals arrive :(

I got the kit 3-4 days ago, it's brillant ! I liked Revell's A320 kit a lot but when you put them side by side, there are certain areas which appear so much more accurate on the Zvezda, especially the nose/windshield section and the CFM56 engines. Will have to check photos and determine which V2500 engines look better but I still have a preference for the Revell ones.

Mine's already shortened to an A318, currently considering how to rebuild the modified wing to fuselage extreme fairings.

The problem being that I'd have to sneak a kit in past the girlfriend and I'll get questioned when the decals arrive :(

I feel less lonely :thumbsup: , shouldn't we create a group ? Something like OMAMA ? Oppressed Male Airliner Modellerholic Anonymous :winkgrin:

Edited by PMG Offramp

PAS NEO conversion - master

Man that's wicked ! Very nice masters, the guy behind PAS is a true artist, his resin kits look absolutely delightful & this set looks to be no exception. Thanks for the follow up !

Hi all

Having started this topic, I am really pleased to see all the input and responses you have made - so thank you all.

I totally empathise with all who have to smuggle their kits and decals past Mrs Management - I too encountered the same problem recently with my Mrs who came down on me like a ton of bricks when she saw how many inbuilt kits I have in my man cave - and that didn't even include those that were carefully hidden!!

She counted 42 - having missed another 15 which were carefully camouflaged elsewhere in the "cave"

288488_4146451108672_1285710093_o_zps9aa

• Like 3

Hello all,

I've been having a look at the instruction sheet of this set and I'm a bit confused with the colors to be used, mainly in the wing section. http://www.airlinercafe.com/photo_14500.details.large

It is stated to use white in the inner wing section and gull grey in the upper part. The flaps section in the upper part, though, is to be painted white again. I have never built a model with flaps, but those white flaps look strange to me (that section is usually grey, right?).

Any advice here? Are you using white as recommended in the instruction sheet?

Then, for the slats, they are usually painted chrome/silver (metallic, anyway) when building a "regular" model. In this case there's no recommendation to paint it silver, but just gull grey. What do you think?

Summarizing, what do you think it would be the best wing color configuration?

Thank you!!