New Zvezda 1/144 A320 - Review - what's in the new box!

Wow, I'm pretty impressed by this. I've just looked at it and I like it very much. First off, great box - inner and outer! Second, decal quality is much better than their 767. Thirdly, having built the 767 and was impressed by that, I think this looks and feels even better than that. (Note, not built it yet - impressions only.)

Only question is how does one finish it? It'd be a shame to waste the interior and build it flaps down. Similarly, it'd be a shame to waste the flaps and just have the door open.

Too many options... Maybe I'll build it with a cut out like that C-47 that's being done at the mo. Anyone know where I can get decent 144th sitting passengers from?

FYI, according to a current A320 pilot, they keep flaps at pos 1+F even during ground handling when temperature is over 30C.

Don't know why but I can him.

This might concern the specific airline only, but I can also find out...

(Edit: Corrected flaps position and temperature. I confirmed with the pilot friend and it's exactly what XV571 describes below)

Edited by George D.

FYI, according to a current A320 pilot, they keep flaps at pos 2 even during ground handling when temperature is over 32C.

Not Mark, but this triggered a memory from my A320 Engineers course so I went and checked in the FCOM (Flight Crew Operating Manual). The actual 'After Landing' procedure called for in the FCOM is to set the Slats and Flaps to Configuration 1 if the ambient temperature is 30°C or higher. This is to ensure that you don't get spurious air leak warnings from the wing bleed ducts by extending the slats to allow air to flow over the hot leading edge structure. Below 30°C, or once the aircraft is parked, the FCOM instructs the crew to select Configuration 0, i.e. Slats and Flaps fully retracted. The procedure described by George seems to be specific to that airline.

Excepting maintenance, the one occasion where you would see the Slats and Flaps extended at the gate is when it's wintry as the FCOM also states:

"If the approach was made in icing conditions, or if the runway was contaminated with slush or snow, do not retract the flaps until after engine shut down, and after the ground crew has confirmed that flaps and slats are clear of obstructing ice."

As a guide, the Slat/Flap Configurations for the A319/A320 are:

0 Slats 0° Flaps 0°

1: Slats 18° Flaps 0° This is in-flight only above 210 knots. If the aircraft is on the ground or below 210 knots the Flaps will deploy and you get:

1+F: Slats 18° Flaps 10°

2: Slats 22° Flaps 15°

3: Slats 22° Flaps 20°

FULL: Slats 27° Flaps 35° (CFM56 engines) or 40° (V2500 engines)

I'm looking forward to getting the kit as it looks really good, but one error I did notice on pictures of the decal sheet was that the main door surrounds 54 and 55 are the wrong colour - they should be blue like those of the emergency exits; here's one of the aircraft on the sheet: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroflot---Russian/Airbus-A320-214/2310061/L/&sid=c3ce2f311716f14b7e2c3901aaf8b344

• Like 1

t the main door surrounds 54 and 55 are the wrong colour - they should be blue like those of the emergency exits;

Good call.

Strangely, they are shown correctly on the box art.

Chris.

FYI, according to a current A320 pilot, they keep flaps at pos 2 even during ground handling when temperature is over 32C.

When the temperature is over 30 deg C we leave the slats out (flap 1) to try and prevent overheat warnings in the bleed ducts in the leading edges. The way the Airbus flaps work we end up with flap 1+F which means that the slats are out and the first stage of the trailing edge flaps are deployed. If you get the bleed overheat it can be a pig to clear (hours according to friends that have had it). At many destinations the fuellers will not go under the wing with the flaps out so you have to retract them once on stand if that's the case, but apparently the taxi in bit is the important bit for preventing an overheat. On the A300 the slats were always left out on turnaround to prevent wear unless the aircraft was down for the night.

Cheers

Glen

Sorry, just noticed XV571's post that says it much better!

Edited by Glen

Is anyone planning to do a WIP for this kit? I've a few hesitations about buying this from what I've seen, so a build up may sway me one way or the other. Or could anyone provide some good clear close ups of the following areas:

- rear end of the CFM exhausts

- the full parts of the V2500 engine

- the underside of the belly around the main doors and the inner wings

- and a measurement of the cabin window size?

Many thanks.

Jeff

Many thanks, I don't want to be "that guy" but there are a few little niggles I've spotted in the kit, windows being one of them. Still decal windows are available (though I try to avoid using them).

Jeff

Brilliant, many thanks.

They've helped a lot, focus was fine. I may get a couple for the lowered slats&flaps look, but since I've got dozens of the Revell A320 family, I'm in no hurry to get these new ones.

Still roll on the IL-62...

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

If only! :hypnotised:

To be serious, Hannants have it listed at £19.99 which is a premium of £7 over the Revell kit. Unless you desperately want dropped flaps is it really worth so much more?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ZVE7003

yep - that £4 was the P&P charged back to my account at work by Regus

Many thanks, I don't want to be "that guy" but there are a few little niggles I've spotted in the kit, windows being one of them. Still decal windows are available (though I try to avoid using them).

Jeff

Hi

It was me that started the post here - and I shall do a WIP but probably not ahead of you guys that have the kit too now. My FDCAL A320 British Airways 2012 Olympic Colour scheme arrived the other day which looks pretty striking but I have promised myself to get a 777 and 757 built next as soon as I can finally complete those 4 Concorde's of mine

. My FDCAL A320 British Airways 2012 Olympic Colour scheme arrived the other day which looks pretty striking

Damn. I was getting excited then as I thought Philippe had sneaked out a new decal. But then I realised you meant the 2000 Olympics. I've never been able to get the Gio 2012 Olympic sheets. :(

Damn. I was getting excited then as I thought Philippe had sneaked out a new decal. But then I realised you meant the 2000 Olympics. I've never been able to get the Gio 2012 Olympic sheets. :(

Tell me about it

I'm mildy curious as to how many modellers will choose either the door open and internal detail shown, or with flaps out...

most airliner modellers prefer everything closed and up apart from the gear.

If anybody is not planning to use the inside parts, and doesn't want them, I'd be glad to give them a good home ;)