New Zvezda 1/144 A320 - Review - what's in the new box!

Hi

While checking Hannants "new arrivals" website tab last week, I spotted Zvezda's new 1/144 A320 release and quickly ordered myself one. It arrived today and I must say that it is a smashing moulding. It has 2 choices of engines irrespective of what the box art shows which is handy as I would have preferred the RRoyce option as at the time of ordering I could not see that option on the first version release of the kit. What makes this kit even better is that it has a detailed cockpit and front galley with an option to have the front port side door open. To add the final cherry to the top of the cake, Zvezda have really got it right by offering a flaps up or deployed option - making this a real gem of a model. Pictures below for those interested in making a very good investment.

DSCF4837_zps3308d195.jpg

DSCF4838_zps63a14e7d.jpg

DSCF4839_zpsc4e48cfa.jpg

DSCF4840_zpsfc065773.jpg

DSCF4841_zps6ec9af5c.jpg

DSCF4842_zpse272a226.jpg

DSCF4843_zpsc9b76096.jpg

check out the instructions below - in my mind, this is what makes the kit that bit more brilliant than the norm..

DSCF4844_zpsabc8048b.jpg

DSCF4845_zps7136359b.jpg

I hope this will inspire you to invest...

• Like 4

The Zvezda version looks impressive, but doesn't seem to have 'sharklets'. Given that Airbus introduced Sharklets on A320s in 2012 and most coming out of the factory have them fitted, it seems a bit of an oversight. Not quite the 'ultimate kit', but an opportunity for the accessory / conversion producers no doubt.

Tim

Edited by Timo

The Zvezda version looks impressive, but doesn't seem to have 'sharklets'. Given that Airbus introduced Sharklets on A320s in 2012 and most coming out of the factory have them fitted, it seems a bit of an oversight. Not quite the 'ultimate kit', but an opportunity for the accessory / conversion producers no doubt.

Tim

yep - I do agree about the sharklets - but then again, we are all modellers and hopefully we all love the challenge to scratch build where the manufacturers leave omissions. I just ordered the FDCAL BA Olympic games decal set for this little bird.

A bargain at £4! :winkgrin:

If only! :hypnotised:

To be serious, Hannants have it listed at £19.99 which is a premium of £7 over the Revell kit. Unless you desperately want dropped flaps is it really worth so much more?

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ZVE7003

Edited by Skodadriver

Top left corner... :bleh:

Andrew

Well goodness gracious me. I never even noticed that :banghead:

I'd fill my loft with them at £4 but there is a serious point here. Is the Zvezda kit really 53% better than the Revell one which is what the price differential implies?

I just ordered the FDCAL BA Olympic games decal set for this little bird.

The Dove scheme? If so then this was applied to the A319 aircraft.

Got mine yesterday, £16.99 from Mr Models at the Coventry show.

First impressions are very good, If I can get more at this price, I will buy it preference to the Revell kit. Espeacially as it has both engine types in the box. I could even see myself sawing them up into A319.s.

Ok, I have not tried to build it yet, but my experience of Zvezda is Tamiya like fit and quality of parts. The decals are not quite so good, but getting better, most will use aftermarket anyway.

You pays your money and you makes you choice....

Cheers

john

• Like 1

From my point of view, I think it's worth the extra, if only for the option of extended flaps and slats (difficult to scratch really well at this size/scale). The bits like the choice of loaded or unloaded undercarriage and partial interior are also nice to have. A full set of separate control surfaces would have been the cherry on the cake :wicked:. If you're going to build it clean and closed up, then the choice may look different. I guess both kits have their own (minor) accuracy issues...

Andrew

Is the Zvezda kit really 53% better than the Revell one which is what the price differential implies?

Having now bought one and had a good look at the kit compared to the Revell offering I would have to say yes,

Re the Sharklets...throughtout the history of kit manufacture a particular 'Mk.' is the subject and not always the latest version.

Most A.320 arround don't have them...yet and to offer an option is just adding to the cost.

If it had sharklets there would be comments that most current aircraft don't have them so it should have has the original fit.

• Like 1

If it had sharklets there would be comments that most current aircraft don't have them so it should have has the original fit.

Building two sharklets from scratch is 15 minutes job.

Good points, I'll get on with making some sharklets for my kit which arrived today, which is going to be a Vueling A320 + sharklets + flaps/slats in take off configuration.

Good points, I'll get on with making some sharklets for my kit which arrived today, which is going to be a Vueling A320 + sharklets + flaps/slats in take off configuration.

Any chance of a WIP? I tried to do the Revell kit as Vueling using the Nazca sheet. Suffice it to say it didn't end well and the model was eventually finished as something entirely different. I have a lot of time for Nazca decals and I'm sure the fault was mine. I'd be very interested to see how somebody else gets on.

Any chance of a WIP? I tried to do the Revell kit as Vueling using the Nazca sheet. Suffice it to say it didn't end well and the model was eventually finished as something entirely different. I have a lot of time for Nazca decals and I'm sure the fault was mine. I'd be very interested to see how somebody else gets on.

You're right, Vueling looks v. tricky - I'll take some pics and post if I manage to get it anywhere near right.

You're right, Vueling looks v. tricky - I'll take some pics and post if I manage to get it anywhere near right.

I'll look forward to that. Gaston's website shows the decals on a Revell kit so it must be possible!