TSR2 Production increases

Devilfish

There was a plan in the 80's to resurrect the TSR2 with modern (aka Tornado) avionics and Tornado style ramp intakes (which this one will be having)

I think if it had gone into production in the late 60's it would have looked similar to the prototypes. Possibly a different nose, depending on how the radar developed, and an IFR probe. RWR would have been a problem with the all moving tail fin, hence why on my GR6 I fitted wing tip RWR.

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 3

There was a plan in the 80's to resurrect the TSR2 with modern (aka Tornado) avionics and Tornado style ramp intakes (which this one will be having)

I think if it had gone into production in the late 60's it would have looked similar to the prototypes. Possibly a different nose, depending on how the radar developed, and an IFR probe. RWR would have been a problem with the all moving tail fin, hence why on my GR6 I fitted wing tip RWR.

I did no know that. It would have been nice if that had have gone ahead with that.

I am always struck by the enormous length of the nose. I have not idea but at a guess I would imagine that is to house lots of gear that would have over time got shrunk, So I wonder if the nose would have been shortened. I have always thought with TSR-2 being big and the reduction in size of weapons that it would possibly be obsolete very fast due to economics of getting a big plane up to carry small weapons. I guess we would have ended up with the Tornado anyway.

Just my thoughts. What the hell do I know. All I do know is its a very good looking Aircraft.

• Like 2

Yes, the TSR was a big aircraft, I think partly due to the amount of fuel it had to carry. Olympus' I should think are thirsty. Also, as you suggest, the size of the equipment. This was pre-micro chip era, so everything had to be descrete. Also, a lot of the equipment was state of the art at the time (and for many years after). I remember being shown some of the TSRs disc drives at Cosford on my Radar course in the 80's and being told that a similar system was being used for Tornado.

The GR3 has had it's slipper tanks started. A pair of SAAF Buccs donated their tanks to be joined

14519318210_268c4d4799.jpg
100_3707 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

The VG has come on too, but bringing it's own troubles.

14705995545_50dfbcc69e.jpg
100_3706 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

Wings are on, but unfortunately not level. I didn't realise the F-14 intake tops slope down and in, so I fitted them level and now the wings droop down. So I have had to do some propping up from the inside....

14682994796_111490dbbf.jpg
100_3705 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

14702817591_d7c091a9b3.jpg
100_3710 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Problems with image hosting are limiting what I can do here, but heres the slipper tank for the GR3

100_3746_zps53d2a98f.jpg

The "conformal" tank for the VG and the ramp style intake.
Intake was from an F-15 at they are huge and filled the gap better than F-14 ones would have.
I decided on the conformal tanks as there is a ridge and gap along the edge of the wing glove taken from the F-14. It covers it nicely...

100_3743_zps7f9e6f4e.jpg

And that's all I could get before it banged out on me again!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The GR3 is now sat on it's undercarriage....

DSCF8017_zps9f45b4bc.jpg

....and I have done some work on the cockpit. I got this one part made from a friend, with the glazing already masked up so I left it on while I worked. I was hoping to save me time it was pretty much complete.

Imagine my surprise when I took off the masks to find the windows tinted dark green....
Luckily, a good application of airbrush cleaner removed 99% of it and a quick coat of yellow restores TSR2 anoraks nerves, lol

107_3779_zps8bdc4f77.jpg
DSCF8016_zps839ff552.jpg

As for the cockpit itself, apart from replacing the seats with the kits Mk8s I am leaving it alone as you can't see much anyway.

DSCF8015_zps7114ad96.jpg

One other thing I had to do was fit the rear exhaust shroud. Now anyone who has built this kit knows the shroud has to go on before the tailerons because the curvature of them obstructs the shroud. However, this is something you learn from experience and with the tailerons in place I had to find out how to get it all in. Without the exhausts you can slide the shroud in , but with them it can't be turned around the angle to get it all in...so I shortened the exhausts. No one ever looks in there anyway!!

DSCF8018_zpsce1e8607.jpg

And on to the VG

Just more filling and sanding here. Fitted a few more bits and it's ready for another coat of primer....hopefully it's last

DSCF8025_zps7c0c1816.jpg

Scribed a few panel lines in...

DSCF8020_zpsc64ddcdd.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...