TSR2 Production increases

Devilfish

On Sept 27th it will be the 50th anniversary of the first flight of the TSR2. To mark the occaision, Newark Air Museum will be holding a TSR2 day.

I will be providing a potted "what-if" history of the service of the TSR2 Eagle and hopefully, some of it's alternatives. To this end, production has been scaled up.

The first of the next 2 will be the GR.3 (LR). LR standing for Long Range, as this is one of the aircraft modified to be able to reach the Falkland Islands in 1982.

I will be getting a head start with this as a friend donate 2 part built TSRs to my collection.

104_3125_zps31601720.jpg

The second is to be the last of the line. The heavily reworked VG, or variable geometry, swing wing....
Using my recently retired RN Tomcat F.1, I am cutting and trimming to get the wing mechanism and ramp intakes to fit.

104_3126_zpse9ad0c95.jpg

Edited by Devilfish
  • Like 4

Excellent. A TSR-2 DAY. I'll be there. By the way, your VG TSR-2 is going to look superb. Can't wait to see more progress.

Cheers,

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

On with the Swing wing version.....I want a new radar, which would most likely be bigger, to increase range and definition. So, the obvious one is a Tornado GR.

So how do you turn a TSR nose into a Tonka one?

14583359853_35c80c1051.jpg
100_3334 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

Short answer, you can't.

But I'm going to anyway!

As you can see the Tonka is wider

14376820547_9a8a884ab6.jpg
100_3335 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

But about the same height

14376820377_83ff5b5b37.jpg
100_3336 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

The big problem is that the Tonka is much squarer than the TSR so if just stuck on it will look completely out of place. Also, the Tonka has a spine whereas the TSR doesn't, so this will need blending in.

I decided to use the original underside and blend it into the new nose.

I started by cutting out a section of the cockpit

14583359333_e2f8df0cb9.jpg
100_3337 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

To which I will add and blend the lower half of the Tonka

14583358963_cc733f7657.jpg
100_3340 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

Not sure about the width issues though. Two choices. 1, blend it into the original fuselage, giving a curvy "Coke Bottle" (other colas are available) effect, or 2, blending the fuselage to the nose, i.e. filling it out straight.

14376588270_fa6d146148.jpg
100_3339 by devilfish2014, on Flickr

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply about booking. Me and my mate will both be there.

Watching this with interest as I'm trying to work out how to do the same thing. I'm never afraid of following where others have led :tomato:

• Like 1

you're progressing well, blending the new nose looks to be a fun job, but I like your ideas.

I may shorten the nose if mine when I eventually start it...was looking at the project the other day...need clear bench and time.

Am following the build with great interest.

I did think about shortening the nose, but I wanted to keep the original nose wheel bay and originally, the equipment bays, but these may be covered over now. With the new radar it will be longer than standard.

Edited by Devilfish

Your last pic suggests that the TSRs fuselage taper would meet nicely with the Tonka nose if cut around an inch or so further aft - surely the later version has taken full advantage of miniaturized digital equipment and hence needed much less space in the equipment bays ?

Your last pic suggests that the TSRs fuselage taper would meet nicely with the Tonka nose if cut around an inch or so further aft - surely the later version has taken full advantage of miniaturized digital equipment and hence needed much less space in the equipment bays ?

I'm a Tankie and I was going to suggest something similar and judging from the pics you posted, it shouldn't interfer with the VG wing either - it would however give a shorter forward profile to the TSR2.

Worth considering? you could add a refuelling probe possibly to extend the nose back to the original length??

Looking good. I was going to suggest it may look good if you aded the tomcat nose

Rather than the tornado.

I'd love to see you cross kit TSR-2 and Vigilante to cause some visual confusion. Could be fun ;)

Looking good there . Cheers Rob :)

I do have a Tomcat nose and in all fairness it would have been the easier option, but, I need to do this conversion twice (once for this and once for my fighter version) and I just happen to have 2 Airfix Tonkas (GR1 and a F3) but only one Tomcat.

I do have a Tomcat nose and in all fairness it would have been the easier option, but, I need to do this conversion twice (once for this and once for my fighter version) and I just happen to have 2 Airfix Tonkas (GR1 and a F3) but only one Tomcat.

I understand that. One for the future perhaps. The sleek nose of the Tomcat would suit a TSR-2.

I believe it was done in one of the Airfix "special" magazines they released earlier this year.

It would be nice to see that I must have a look for it.

I must get back to a few of my Whifs soon.

I would be Interested to see what TSR-2 would look like had it actually one into production as I here it would have looks quite different.

I think the intakes would have looked more like the Tornado if what I read was true.

;)