Filton Airfield/Airport/RAF Filton

jonbru1

Having been brought up near Filton airfield, I have set myself the task of building as many aircraft associated with Filton over the years, to a greater or lesser extent. This will be done in 1/144 due to limited storage space. I have started with VC10 RB211 testbed G-AXLR, VFW614 D-BABC and DC-3 G-AMPO. If anyone has photos/slides ets of aircraft at Filton and would be willing to share tham with me, please let me know.

This might help!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boxkite-Concorde-Hundred-Bristol-Aircraft/dp/0956467601

I live in Stoke Gifford, almost directly under the approach. Jeez it is quiet now......

Tim

Thanks Tim. I've got this one, along with a number of other print and online references. I am interested in aircraft associated with Filton over my lifetime (1958 to present!). My fondest memories are of the late '60s early '70s with the seemingly constant stream of Bristol Siddeley/Rolls Royce test beds (Vulcan/VC10/Harrier/Lynx/Sea King/Scout) communications aircraft (HS125/Jestsreams/DH Doves and Herons as well as BAC/British Aerospace/BAe/Airbus associated aircraft including the Guppy and Beluga, not to mention Concordes, Britannias, F-111s etc! I am interested in pictures of any of the above.

Thanks for your response.

Jon

Edited by jonbru1

Hi Jon, well, I was born in '58 too! We moved to Hambrook in July 1969 (there was something else going on in Space that week too, as I remember...) and my late father spent almost his entire working life at Filton on Britannia, 188 and Concorde, indeed even after he retired he then worked as a guide on 213 until he was too ill to continue. My memories of the aircraft at Filton are going to mirror yours pretty much exactly! Were you in the ATC or CCF? I flew in several Chipmunks with 3 AEF, and while manning the look out posts on the New Passage rifle range, frequently saw the Guppy coming in and out across the Severn. I don't think I have any pictures unfortunately, but next time I'm over at my mothers, I'll have a look at the Old Mans books and stuff, he may well have put some interesting stuff aside. Gret idea for a project, although it could be a life-times work of course!

Hi Ken, by the way! I'm a lapsed member (sounds a bit off, that!) of the Avon club....

Tim Perry

This might help!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boxkite-Concorde-Hundred-Bristol-Aircraft/dp/0956467601

I live in Stoke Gifford, almost directly under the approach. Jeez it is quiet now......

Tim

You and I weren't far from each other for a while. I lived over the McColl's at the Kingsway roundabout in Little Stoke from December '08 to February '12. My room faced the east end of the runway at Filton. I remember one of the A380s coming in to land and a VC-10 departing after a couple of passes along the runway at an open day. Free airshow for me that day.

Joseph

Miss the jets. Live two miles East of the runway. Much too quiet now.

The Airbus Military Grizzly made an appearance, as did Eurofighters, the Red Arrows (breaking onto finals over my house) and I remember Lockheed Tristars, Chinooks and Merlins.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon, well, I was born in '58 too! We moved to Hambrook in July 1969 (there was something else going on in Space that week too, as I remember...) and my late father spent almost his entire working life at Filton on Britannia, 188 and Concorde, indeed even after he retired he then worked as a guide on 213 until he was too ill to continue. My memories of the aircraft at Filton are going to mirror yours pretty much exactly! Were you in the ATC or CCF? I flew in several Chipmunks with 3 AEF, and while manning the look out posts on the New Passage rifle range, frequently saw the Guppy coming in and out across the Severn. I don't think I have any pictures unfortunately, but next time I'm over at my mothers, I'll have a look at the Old Mans books and stuff, he may well have put some interesting stuff aside. Gret idea for a project, although it could be a life-times work of course!

Hi Ken, by the way! I'm a lapsed member (sounds a bit off, that!) of the Avon club....

Tim Perry

Hi Tim

Bristol Grammar School CCF.

Good question.

Jon

BGS CCF !? No! Really? Me too! With Mr Windrum and Mr Jackson, and Mr Wooley the woodwork teacher?! If we were both born in '58, we must have been in the same year! I'm racking my brains to remember Jons.... I can remember Dave Brewer, Ian Halliday ( who is now Running 3TRPD, a rapid prototyping company in Newbury, and Mark Kidger, who is a leading astrophysicist in Spain nowadays. Jeez, my memory.... I was cadet flight sergeant the last year I was there, 1977. I have some pics from our summer weeks at Lossiemouth, Shawbury and Colerne, somewhere......

Tim ( in a bit of a nostalgic fog right now!)

BGS CCF !? No! Really? Me too! With Mr Windrum and Mr Jackson, and Mr Wooley the woodwork teacher?! If we were both born in '58, we must have been in the same year! I'm racking my brains to remember Jons.... I can remember Dave Brewer, Ian Halliday ( who is now Running 3TRPD, a rapid prototyping company in Newbury, and Mark Kidger, who is a leading astrophysicist in Spain nowadays. Jeez, my memory.... I was cadet flight sergeant the last year I was there, 1977. I have some pics from our summer weeks at Lossiemouth, Shawbury and Colerne, somewhere......

Tim ( in a bit of a nostalgic fog right now!)

t

Tim, I was probably a year ahead of you. finished in 1976. I went on the camps to Colerne, Wyton and Gutersloh.

Edited by jonbru1