Humbrol Acrylic - Removed with masking tape

uggywuggy

Hi - just airbrushed some humbrol acrylic onto 1/72 Focke Wulf - then masked with Tamiya tape to do rest but when tape removed some of the paint comes off with the tape! Maybe coat not thick enough or should've sealed with gloss/satin ? Anyone else had this problem?

Edited by uggywuggy

Hi, I've only sprayed with Humbrol acrylics once and had no trouble; I had a layer of Halfords primer under that.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that sealing would make much difference - if the underlying paint doesn't have a strong enough adhesion to the surface of the model then the tape will win the tug of war.

Regards, Ross.

I use Humbrol acrylic a lot and haven't suffered from this but there are two things that immediately spring to mind.

1. Do you use a primer? I do 99.9% of the time (the remaining 0.1% being the bit of Tamiya Aluminium I sprayed on unprimed plastic last night because I had a dribble left in the AB - what do you know but it came off when I masked over it!)
  2. Do you wash your plastic before staring to build, in order to get rid of any releasing agent? Kits are pretty clean out of the box nowadays but you still get the odd "greasy" model that paint won't stick to.

Failing those then did you really jam the tape on?

Good luck,

Roger

Washing and priming = good practice and good results, but will slow you down in your frenzy of cutting and sticking! Particularly if you're a 1/32 fan with a penchant for kits with gazillions of sprue...

Running a sharp blade lightly on the edge of the tape will stop the paint lifting, only needs a light cut but can save a lot of headaches.

Dave

I had this problem with Humbrol acrylic too. On my latest models I've started using grey primer and it hasn't happened at all. I've also been using Revell paints on my current builds, but pretty sure the primer is the reason they haven't lifted this time.