Airfix new tool 1/72 Mk.1B Typhoon, Dragon's 1/72 Zimmeritted Panther Ausf G and Tiger I Diorama - Finished

Hey Stix

That looks awesome mate, I mean really good. Don't get too hung up over the invasion stripes because they were applied in the field, in a rush and sometimes they weren't that well done, have a look here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_stripes

The Spitfire on the 3rd picture down is a case in point (admittedly the Tyhpoon below it is pretty tidy!!)

Love it

Yours aye

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thank you. I see what you mean! Yeah it was just that as these were the first I've done and I wasn't sure of the best way to approach them. I've now got the undersides painted too. I used the colour recommended in the instructions - Humbrol 165, medium Sea Grey, satin, but it looks a bit dark to me. I'll post a photo in a bit. It'll probably be alright under spray matt varnish.

I was just about to reply to your PM. I'll be there in a second.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Brief update:

I've now got the undersides painted Humbrol Medium Sea Grey. It looks a bit dark to me. It's what the instructions suggest. I'm not going to change it now - as I mentioned above it'll probably be okay under spray matt varnish.

14632613821_0365bd7ba2_c.jpg

14635431022_3f1ca47f7b_c.jpg

Once it's part of the diorama it won't be that visible.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Decided to concentrate on this one again this morning - feels like it will be quicker to do than the Eduard Spitfire!

Got the canopy parts on so I could blend in the painting around it.

14451340957_48a66931da_c.jpg

Next I brush painted some Humbrol Ocean Grey thinned with water on the upper surfaces:

14455494058_7f0b688a4c_c.jpg

14455434030_07a42ce8e7_c.jpg

Followed by the camo in thinned US Dark Green. Like with the Mk.XVI I decided to try painting it freehand rather than try masking it off:

14619110156_918a8623e3_c.jpg

14662003453_069544271f_c.jpg

14455429860_5f21242520_c.jpg

14641666182_2ac3b6cda1_c.jpg

14455485458_17960d4546_c.jpg

14641663812_683e923b3d_c.jpg

I may get more done later.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

Thank you Mottlemaster, Sarge and Iain. Camo seems to work okay freehand - it's a bit tricky at times trying to work out where to head next with the brush, especially when trying to keep an eye on the instructions at the same time!

Final update for the evening. Got the yellow on the front of the wings and then gave it a couple of coats of Pledge:

14646111125_1e64740e22_c.jpg

In between coats of Pledge, while it was drying, I started work painting the rockets, the rails and the engine exhausts. No photos of those though.

I also started thinking about the propeller - I really ought to try and get hold of some four bladed prop blurs or similar because this one is supposed to be in flight.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Steve, Arnold, sdk and Stew.

Thank you all for you comments.

Steve - it shouldn't be too long now until I start the Panther. I'm really looking forward to having a go at it - it really is a good looking kit.

Well it's the weekend - seemed to take forever to get here! I've been working on this and my Spitfire project this morning. I started by getting the decals on the upper and lower wings. Once dry I gave them a coat of Pledge to seal them on. There wasn't many to do but it seemed to take a while. I've started cutting as close to the actual printed part on as many of the decals as I can to avoid that shiny area outside the actual coloured parts. This means carefully cutting around curved or round decals with scissors and it's a bit of a slow process. Straight edged ones arn't so bad because I can use a craft knife and metal ruler.

14709672003_5c5f3b79b5_c.jpg

14503110950_9eb1c8355e_c.jpg

14709669843_31c7c090eb_c.jpg

If I get chance later I may start on putting the decals on the sides.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Hi Mottlemaster,

The tail band is a decal. I was going to mask and paint it until I realised how deep the strengthening plates are and thought the masking tape was never going to settle into the space between properly. I then tried the Airfix decal that comes with the kit but it was too short because of the scheme I've chosen to make but, luckily, I had one in the spares box from the Italeri Spitfire I built earlier in the year. It's not perfect but does the job. It settled reasonably well over the plates except in a couple of places. If I'd thought I would have sanded the overly thick plates down beforehand.

This afternoon I've got the decals onto the starboard side. They need some Pledge over them once they're dry.

14690358822_484053471b_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Last update for today - decals and Pledge now on the port side:

14506448477_8e9cc76250_c.jpg

I'm still waiting for the prop blurs I've ordered to arrive so tomorrow I'll get the rockets on and do some weathering. I'll also do some work on my Spitfire and maybe take a first proper look at the Panther.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Aye up Stix,

Great work thus far. I have this kit my very small 'wingy thing' stash, so I will refer back to this thread when I get round to building it B)

Regards,

Steve

Thank you Steve and sdk.

Two hours working on this and it doesn't look like I've done that much but it's had some light dry-brushing all over and an Anthracite wash in the panel lines. I think it'll look better under matt varnish. I'm going to try and get the rockets on next which was my original plan but thought I would be able to add the weathering more easily without them on.

14510547408_b5efb84e21_c.jpg

14696908242_fa23f616a1_c.jpg

14694805234_20585f5365_c.jpg

More later I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3