Airfix new tool 1/72 Mk.1B Typhoon, Dragon's 1/72 Zimmeritted Panther Ausf G and Tiger I Diorama - Finished

We are, and i'll be sure to put photo's up when its done.

He's too happy playing outside with his mates at the moment to do any modelling, but when we next have a rainy day we will do a bit more.

Nick

:)

• Like 1

Hi Stix,

I just found this WIP... How can you build so fast with 3 birds at the same time ?? I'm very impressed !

I take a chair and will follow this little Typhoon.

Kind regards

Pascal

• Like 1

Hi Arniec, sdk_uk and Pascal.

I promise I'll try and get something started on at least one of these this coming weekend.

Pascal - I'm not yet!! Only had the two(ish) until now. From this weekend I'm going to try and do the Typhoon and the Mk.IX although I'd love to start work on the Panther too!! ..........too many kits..........so little time!

Thanks all.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

It likewise occured to me that the zimmerit will help you get a soft edged look if you apply the whole camo scheme but using very careful drybrushing.....Here are a couple of profiles for tanks from 12 SS Pz (who clashed savagely with the British and Canadians):

Panther%20Ausf.%20G%20de%20la%201ere%20cPanther%20Ausf.%20G%20de%20la%203eme%20c

Hint, hint! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

The Zimmerit pattern will help Mottle-ise brushwork. Good choice, and you're welcome :)

That sounds like a plan!! Thank you.

It likewise occured to me that the zimmerit will help you get a soft edged look if you apply the whole camo scheme but using very careful drybrushing.....Here are a couple of profiles for tanks from 12 SS Pz (who clashed savagely with the British and Canadians):

Panther%20Ausf.%20G%20de%20la%201ere%20cPanther%20Ausf.%20G%20de%20la%203eme%20c

Hint, hint! :winkgrin:

Great pictures as always Sarge. Thank you. I'll probably practice different types of camo on something and then, depending on which turns out best, I'll make a decision as to which version I'll make it as.

The link in your second post appears to be broken.

Kind regards,

Stix

First off a big thank you to Sgt.Squarehead who has very kindly sent me some 1/72 tools, decals and spare wheels for the Panther. He's also let me have some research materials on the Panther and Typhoon.

It's the weekend and I've managed to make a start on this project.

I'd already decided I'd start with the Typhoon as it's closer to my current comfort zone of Spitfires. The Panther is going to be a whole new learning experience.

I've started with the cockpit and other things that need doing before the fuselage sides are glued together. I've not added anything extra to the cockpit on this build as I'm going to have the pilot in place and the canopy closed because I'm displaying it in flight.

Paints are all Humbrol and Revell applied by hairy sticks. The dry-brushing was done with matt light grey and the wash is matt Antracite.

The photos below show the progress so far:

14598265753_b72a9b35b7_c.jpg

14391739637_3f13e600db_c.jpg

14391737547_255f3ba817_c.jpg

14577385762_98d62fab5f_c.jpg

14577383632_58184ceda6_c.jpg

14391732597_3a84916b93_c.jpg

14391731187_109d690c53_c.jpg

14391729347_e0d8fca2f5_c.jpg

14555072836_c69b7da825_c.jpg

14578146485_28d3fde386_c.jpg

14391480060_8e810a29c1_c.jpg

I may do more on this later or I might decide to work on the Eduard Spitfire.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Brief afternoon update.

Painted the pilot - seemed to take ages, isn't my best paintwork ever and he was a pain to fit! Ended up cutting stuff off him and parts of the IP so he'd sit low enough not to foul the canopy. Won't bother with one of these in future!

Then I glued the fuselage halves together. Just waiting for it to set at the moment. It'll need a bit of filler here and there.

14576516071_793fc44fb3_c.jpg

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Hi Stx . I had big problems with my two pilots .I had to remove 1/2 of their buttocks thatseemed to stick out and both sets of legs at the knees. Airfix seem to have their cad desighned kits looking fantastic but they have given no thought into producing a good dynamic pilot who looks like he is flying the aircraft .or can even fit in it.

Hi Arnold, Mottlemaster and Steve,

Thank you for your comments.

Mottlemaster - in future I'm going to do all my aircraft kits with the canopy open! Apart from anything else I usually enjoy building and detailing these cockpits and it's a shame not to be able to see at least some of the work. The pilot figure itself is so indistinct in places so it was difficult to paint anyway. I think he'll look okay under the canopy. I think you are right about Airfix needing to make a better figure.

This morning I've attached the wings, etc., applied some filler and started to do some sanding. It needs a bit more tidying up and then it'll be time to do some pre-shading.

14581659391_281230829d_c.jpg

14584972505_a2ffa3e0d3_c.jpg

14398561047_37504cdbc1_c.jpg

I'm going to have a look at my Eduard kit now to see what I need to do next.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

If I'd realised the Airfix pilot was shonky I would have put one pf the Revell bods in the package: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1710 Never even occurred to me! :doh:

As you say though, with the canopy closed and as part of a diorama, I'm sure the current chap will look fine. B)

• Like 1

Thank you Sarge.

Not a problem about the pilot - I'm sure he won't be seen that much - would be a shame to use a good figure. The typhoon cockpit sides seem pretty high and close in.

And thank you for the further info about the Panther.

Kind regards,

Stix

70 years old and fully rebuilt transmission and engine apparently.

The Maybach 230 series were a bit smoky it seems.

Check out WTD's Jagdpanther "giving it some welly",speshly at 2.24-2.30 when he

changes up a gear:

• Like 1

Thank you for the Jagdpanther video Miggers. I've started watching more of these.

More work done on the Typhoon this morning. Started with a little bit of tidying up - sanding down and then re-scribing some faded panel lines.
Then I did some pre-shading with thinned down Revell Anthracite:
14447320577_7505db4a2c_c.jpg

Once this was done I decided I ought to think about the areas for the invasion stripes. I've got an Xtradecals set so I already knew some versions didn't have the stripes all around the wings and fuselage. I next checked what versions some of the other BritModellers had made their Typhoons, and combined with the fact the Airfix kit comes with a 4 blade prop, I opted to make mine as MN526/TP-V of No.198 Sqn., 123 Wing, 84 Group, 2 TAF B10/Plumetot, France in July 1944.

I decided to do a bit more reading so a brief summary is in order:- After the D-Day landings 198 Squadron, flying out from Thorney Island, Funtingdon and Hurn, were involved with ground attacks on tanks (suitable for my diorama) and enemy emplacements around Caen. In July '44 they moved to Plumetot and then followed the advancing troops into the Netherlands. To commemorate the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, Eurofighter Typhoon ZK308 was painted to represent Hawker Typhoon MN526.

The other benefit of doing MN526 in July is that the stripes didn't go over the top of the wings or fuselage at this stage. These are the first invasion stripes I've done.

I was thinking of using rattle-can matt white but knowing my aversion to using them I decided to try and hand paint the stripes. First of all I masked off the areas with masking tape and applied thin coats of Humbrol matt white:
14447117338_bdc2089a6f_c.jpg

and eventually ended up with:
14632940714_867ba504c2_c.jpg

More masking off, Revell Anthracite applied and I ended up with:
14448672627_aab7c408da_c.jpg

Not the best, they still need some tidying up, but for my first ones I'm not too unhappy. I think on the 1/48 Eduard Mk.IX Spitfire, because the areas are larger, I may resort to rattle-can white, but I'll wait and see.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

Hey Stix

That looks awesome mate, I mean really good. Don't get too hung up over the invasion stripes because they were applied in the field, in a rush and sometimes they weren't that well done, have a look here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_stripes

The Spitfire on the 3rd picture down is a case in point (admittedly the Tyhpoon below it is pretty tidy!!)

Love it

Yours aye

Iain

• Like 1

wheel well covers look like a good fit . Do airfix provide a set to use for wheels up ?

Yes they're okay. A bit tight and one sits slightly proud (but of course I didn't notice until it was glued in place!). And Yes they provide two sets of covers - wheels down and wheels up. Edited by PlaStix