Airfix new tool 1/72 Mk.1B Typhoon, Dragon's 1/72 Zimmeritted Panther Ausf G and Tiger I Diorama - Finished

Here's where you miss an airbrush ... :whistle:

I'm very curious to see how you move outside your comfort zone; seeing all those pieces is already giving me a headache ...

Ciao

• Like 1

That is very good looking. Even after a coat of paint. Are you sure it's 1/72nd scale?! This looks more like a 1/35 version.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi giemme - I agree that this is the kind of thing where just spraying with paint would be far easier! But it was kind of relaxing once I'd got going.

Hi Arnold - I agree - the detail for 1/72 is very nice.

Hi Sarge - not a problem - my fault in the first place - only if and when you have time.

A brief update from some work I did on this yesterday - I thought it may be easier to get some weathering effects on these before they are assembled so I started with an all over dark grey wash - very thinned down:

14614456228_e34e3f8ca8_c.jpg

Then I did a targeted Anthracite wash and then some dry-brushing with a slightly lightened version of the original colour:

14798708684_ae65848f06_c.jpg

14797962971_7ddca2d3ca_c.jpg

While I waited for the washes to dry I started painting the lower hull - it is the same colour as the wheels (honest!) but in the photos it looks more orangey!:

14778082476_32a8889a1a_c.jpg

I'll paint the tyres next then I need to work out how I'm going to do some wear'n'tear effects plus some rust and oil type stains.

More tomorrow I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Very effective weathering, to my eyes (but I am not expert at all as far as AVF are concerned). Will you also add some silver chipping?

Ciao

• Like 1

O, a orange tank. That would stand great next to the pink "operation Petticoat" sub. LOL :D

That wash brings the whole details out. That is realy a very good looking kit.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Aaaaarrrggh.....The disc! :doh:

I completely forgot about it.....Again! :blush:

What's that about, Andy?

You will find that a bit of sprue will plug up those holes in the sponson undersides perfectly.

• Like 1

Aye up Stix,

That's a very nice looking kit there. Those wheels look good under the paint and the wash really makes them pop!

Great work thus far, look forward to seeing more of this.

Regards,

Steve

Will you also add some silver chipping?

Hi giemme - yes I'm going to try to although I'm not sure how yet!

O, a orange tank. That would stand great next to the pink "operation Petticoat" sub. LOL :D

Hi Arnold - now there's an idea for the next one!!

You will find that a bit of sprue will plug up those holes in the sponson undersides perfectly.

Hi Brews - thank you for the tip - it worked well - I've still got to tidy them up a bit.

Hi Steve - thank you for your comments.

I've been reading through Brews' Panther thread and I've done the same as him in that I've painted the tyres while the wheels are still on the sprue. I used Revell's matt Anthracite slightly thinned with water:

14805054871_bf306f89ac_c.jpg

I also got got a thinned grey wash over all the lower hull then picked out some areas with an Anthracite wash. Finally I did some dry-brushing with a lighter version of the base colour.

14805792394_1d80793b7e_c.jpg

14621540048_a11548252f_c.jpg

Next I think I need to work on some more weathering before getting the wheels fitted.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

I have done a bit more weathering on all the wheels and lower hull - well as much as I think it's worth doing at this stage - I will still need to muddy it up later on. Then it was a case of cutting the wheels from the sprue, tidying the edges up and then fitting them in sequence:

14810351765_30529f1ffa_c.jpg

14810350255_cdb93208f7_c.jpg

14809985022_060505aa3b_c.jpg

14807968154_7e97f7feac_c.jpg

I must admit I didn't think I'd be this far today - so I'm quite pleased.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

That is good looking.

Maybee I can suggest something?! The middle wheels rim were mostly metal coloured because of the wear from the track horns. I don't know if you can still paint it or give it a go with a silver pencil.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Aye up Stix.

That running gear looks great!

I agree with Arniec re the inner wheels, a silver pencil may work best if you can do it.

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Regards.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Arnold and Steve,

Thank you for the advice - please see below:

14830808733_538a964f4b_c.jpg

14807875331_71997d8073_c.jpg

That was a quick fix - hadn't glued the outer wheels on!

Thank you both again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Hi Brews,

Yes I wondered about that when I'd done it. The rim, as you'll know, is quite wide and I just added a thin metallic wash. I can easily tone it down a little - wheels are still not glued on!

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Arnold.

First job this morning - I have tried to tone down the effect on the rims with a grey wash:

14628701920_b7f99083ab_c.jpg

14835239593_85aa2d9055_c.jpg

I think that will do because, for the most part, they're going to be hidden by the side armour plates and tracks.

Next up was a long look at the instruction sheet trying to work out a suitable order for assembly. Having test fitted a few parts and re-read through Brews' build of this kit I knew there were some gaps between parts which would cause me some headaches later if I followed Dragon's instructions to the letter. I have to say their instructions are not the clearest - test fitting is a must with this kit.

First I decided to do some work on the engine bay. I gave the engine a coat of Anthracite followed by a dry-brushing of metallic steel:

14628699870_cb30cb58c4_c.jpg

While that was drying I attached the panel of Zimmerit to the front of the lower hull:

14815412225_7deec28a11_c.jpg

Then I fitted and glued the back of the turret:

14815055942_97306e433a_c.jpg

Fitted the engine bay cover with the necessary parts and painted them, including the PE stuff:

14793599956_ebe8dbd44e_c.jpg

Glued the top of the hull to the lower hull:

14813503271_bef32b4a38_c.jpg

The back of the hull is one of the parts with the most gaps around when in place:

14630046777_0d2ac9d0e2_c.jpg

Test fit of the engine:

14629922929_9faae48b10_c.jpg

..........and of the cover. It's a shame the engine isn't really going to be seen:

14793594496_5d3cbd2d65_c.jpg

More work on the turret:

14629920079_1fcc10b2da_c.jpg

..........and it's first coat of paint:

14814212964_00422a54e3_c.jpg

And that's as far as I got.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

Going great guns! The engine bay would, for the most part, be either red-brown primer or (some might say) Elfenbein (pale cream). I've only ever painted them in primer colour. But as you say, unless you're going to show it off by leaving engine access panel open or (as I did once) leave the whole engine deck loose / removable, there's no point. One day, it would be nice to put a more 3D engine in there. But that's what bigger models are for, aren't they?!

Hi Brews - yeah I'm going to leave the engine as it is this time as it's not going to be seen, but I may get another one of these Panthers and do a bit more with it in future.

Hi Sean and Wolwe - thank you for your comments.

Hi Stew - I know what you mean - I've not really thought about building tanks but since this one I've started to look at others. As I mentioned to Brews above I'm probably going to have another go at one of these plus I'd like to have a go at something similar with the included PE.

I only had a little time this morning so I decided to do some painting with me hairy sticks!

Upper hull:

14854095593_aca03ae573_c.jpg

A variety of other bits and pieces:

14647697667_a3d26a5584_c.jpg

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the camo - I've been looking at the graphics Sarge posted and online, and there's quite a variety I could do it with, but I've got to be able to do it with brushes. As the Sarge and Brews mentioned earlier in this thread it'll probable work best with dry-brushing and mottling. I just need to find something I feel confident about doing - probably with views of the tank from most angles!

I've still got things I can be doing yet though.

Comments and suggestions gratefully received!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I keep on having headaches looking at all the pieces you have to put together for this "little" tank, nonetheless I recon you're doing an amazing job :goodjob:

As opposed to what other said, I bet that if you could combine your abilities with an hairy stick together with some use of an airbrush, you'd get even more outstanding results ... :whistle::devil:

Never mind, I'm just pushing you around a little bit, your painting is just fine :)

Ciao

• Like 1